website statistics

Croatia National Thread

dcro

Maybe there is a chance if Lucic made herself available for Fed Cup. I'm not sure if she did this year (and it probably would have to be this year).

Konjuh also might get one of the ITF places. But there will surely be players who will skip the Olympics or miss it because of injury. I assume she will be qualified one way or another, if she is healthy herself.

Am 5.6.2016 um 21:19 schrieb Milan:

Maybe there is a chance if Lucic made herself available for Fed Cup. I'm not sure if she did this year (and it probably would have to be this year).

Konjuh also might get one of the ITF places. But there will surely be players who will skip the Olympics or miss it because of injury. I assume she will be qualified one way or another, if she is healthy herself.

Are there any indications who will be playing in doubles

I guess Cilic, Coric and Dodig and probably Konjuh are qualified for singles.

Pavic (41) and Jurak (47) have good rankings, why not trying to nominate them as well or some combination for the mixed (Dodig/Jurak or Pavic/jurak)

I think a Player must be qualified for either singles or doubles event to take part in mixed doubles. Our best possible combination in women's doubles would be Lucic (57) and Jurak (47). With Konjuh and Jurak it would be 47 and 76. I'm not sure, but I don't think this combined rankings would be good enough to enter the competition.

Karla Šitić fails to qualify in open water swimming. Instead of improving like athletes from any other nation would, she is like most of our athletes declining as she gets older. She was much better as a 20 year-old, when she achieved 11th place at London Olympics among other things...

We'll have 72 or 73 athletes in Rio, that would be my guess.

#banbestmen

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Karla Šitić fails to qualify in open water swimming. Instead of improving like athletes from any other nation would, she is like most of our athletes declining as she gets older. She was much better as a 20 year-old, when she achieved 11th place at London Olympics among other things...

We'll have 72 or 73 athletes in Rio, that would be my guess.

:facepalm:

We have an enormous fall in the number of qualified athletes comparing to 2012.

But considering the situation in our sport even this number is good. 

The fall in number is mainly (though not entirely) due to lower number of qualified teams, but that is also part of the problem. Our Handball and Basketball women didn't do particularly well since the last Olympics.

I also wouldn't expect much more than 73 athletes. 3-4 quotas in Tennis are safe, likely are 1-3 more quotas in Swimming (OST). Still possible is a quota in Diving and Archery. Realistic but unlikely are more qualifiers in Track and Field and the qualification of our Basketball team. And then there are two more qualification tournaments in Boxing. (And possibly 49erFX through reallocation?)

Edited by Milan

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Caitlyn and Tess will have heard CAS hearing on Monday, June 27th.  We have also learned that if Croatia is offered the spot they will turn it down, and then Austria would be next in line.

Are our people really THAT stupid? I really hope this isn't true...

#banbestmen

10 hours ago, Crolympic said:

Is Marcela Maric qualified in diving. According to wikipedia she is qualified.

Not fully official yet, but some other users here also say she's in.

You have a summary of qualification here.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

i hope she is in, finally something positive

Tennis is such a  dissapointment, especially with Dodig, because of him we have two players less. He could have played singles and doubles with Pavic for example.

Now we have to cheer for the basketball team, and wait for swimming allocation, but i am not too optimistic there, i guess it will be max. two additonal quota (Radic and Todorovic probably). I hope I am wrong.

Then next week athletics ECH : in total we have 11 athletes there. Unfortunately Andrea Ivancevic cancelled due to injury and Blanka (as exected ) will miss it. Otherwise there are 6 athletes who already have a norm for Rio( Perkovic, Kolak, Mihaljevic, Zunic, Simic, Horvat) and 5 without. I guess Muzaric and Mulabegovic could still have a chance, but both did not compete for a while now and is difficult to say what to expect.  Loncarek improved significantly but still 9/100 away from Rio which is a lot in 100 hurdles. Ruzic and Hrusoci for both of them ECH is already a big achievement.