website statistics
[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread
Posted

Miss Curaçao used this weekend’s Miss Universe Pageant to make a political statement about her territory’s lack of representation at the Olympics.

:FRO:CUW definitely trying to keep pressure on the IOC when it comes to Olympics representation.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted
53 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Israel is the like the boy who cried wolf. Provoking the Palestinians with their policies and then crying wolf when they are attacked. There would be no Hamas if Israel was remotely interested in peace and providing the Palestinian population with just the basics. They claim they do, but people see through the bs. I'm not condoning Hamas by any stretch here, just pointing out Israel is the root cause of the issues here. 

Why can't we all just live in peace? Seriously.

Really, this should be the focus at this point. Everyone can point fingers at Israel, Palestine, Hamas, Iran, US, Qatar, Egypt, UK, EU, etc., but then we're all like the child saying, "they started it." It won't be an attitude conducive of peace. This isn't to say that those committing war crimes, or instigating outbursts of violence shouldn't be held responsible (because they absolutely should), but people need to approach the peace process with a willingness to compromise and forge a new path forward. This is true of most conflicts globally right now.  

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted
17 minutes ago, MHSN said:

You sure ? because I hear complete different things whenever I turn on my TV and watch western leaders speeches. for my own mental health I prefer to stay away from all kind of war related news, it's just hard to watch children suffer like that everyday. but it's also impossible to stay away and call yourself human. 

Western countries are always proud of being 100% democratic. I believe that but that also means the guy in charge speak for the entire population of that specific country. (unless you tell me this democracy is a joke which I don't want to believe) so I think you are probably wrong. the majority loves it and probably even orders popcorn to watch this bloodshed everyday on TV. 

There's very much a, "not me, not my problem" attitude in the United States. Even when it comes to mass shootings or other domestic mass casualty incidents. My family and I recently had an argument about this because I think people should care about what happens outside our family/community/state/country. Of course, people can't afford to run around from problem to problem trying to solve them all because they have lives to live too. However, the least we can do is pressure (through peaceful means) elected officials to seek peaceful resolutions and pragmatic solutions to problems people face around the world.

There is a not insignificant number of Americans who want a ceasefire. And yes, there are people grandstanding one side or other. This a complex issue, and absolutes won't lead to practical or humane solutions.

I certainly don't watch television, popcorn in hand, gleefully enjoying the deaths of civilians. I'd love nothing more than to wake up and read about a realistic peace process that guarantees the civil and human rights of both Palestinians and Israelis.

33 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Western countries are always proud of being 100% democratic. I believe that but that also means the guy in charge speak for the entire population of that specific country. (unless you tell me this democracy is a joke which I don't want to believe) so I think you are probably wrong. the majority loves it and probably even orders popcorn to watch this bloodshed everyday on TV. 

I think that is an oversimplification. The real beauty of democracy is that it allows for a plurality of viewpoints. There may be one more supported by the population at a given time, but there is also almost certainly dissidence to that viewpoint as well. A population can look at the affect leaders' policies have had on the nation, and decide to chart a different course. 

Democracy doesn't always travel the morally attractive path (there are plenty of examples of that throughout history). However, it does provide to greatest opportunity for a population to make that choice. 

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
8 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Some kid really needs to be taught about international stuff. I know Finland doesn't actually exist, obviously, but come on :p

Reveal hidden contents

That is a the common nickname or moniker for Minnesota in the US. 

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

Proposals for the redesign of Minnesota’s flag and seal have been made public. Highlights include a picture of someone’s dog, and what is clearly someone’s hardwood flooring. Of course, there are some legitimate designs too. Link: https://serc.mnhs.org/flags

[OFF TOPIC] Βooks Thread
Posted

Might be a good time to read Boys in the Boat for those who haven’t. The film adaptation will be coming out soon.

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
13 minutes ago, intoronto said:

ITG was bad already, but now with new Spanish reporters, its much worse. Amateurish writing at best.

Interesting that both companies moved to Spanish reporters writing in English :mumble:

I'm still trying to find a more permanent home for my reporting, but no luck yet.

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

His timeline isn’t necessarily accurate regarding what transpired with ATR, but it is interesting to see both the “big players” in Olympic media going through shake-ups around the same time.

[OFF TOPIC] Happy Holidays and Birthdays Thread
Posted (edited)

I love these short videos done by TedEd. I’ve always found the story behind myths, legends, and scripture interesting.

Edited by Olympian1010

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

ITG co-founders have left the company, which will have new leadership.

[OFF TOPIC] Weather Thread
Posted

Yeah, we’ve just had our first few “chilly” autumn days this week in Southern California.

Posted

Not something you would have seen a few years ago, but support for a permanent peace resolution under the two state solution has grown quite rapidly in California in recent years.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Braulio said:

Thanks I live in the northwest zone of the country very far from where everything happened, so sad the disaster 

Tropical storm earlier this year must have got TJ relatively good though, or was it just far enough north in San Diego?

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

Saw a post in another community, but now I’m curious…

What do you guys call the action (normally done by kids/teenagers) where someone knocks on a door and runs away before the person can answer it.

In the US, at least in California, this would be called a “ding-dong ditch.”

Posted

:MEX is about to get slammed by a strong hurricane. It went from standard tropical storm to high category hurricane in less than a day.

Posted
17 minutes ago, LDOG said:

You mean wild?

Wire = Weird, I believe. I think the accent is sneaking into the spelling there ;)

Posted
2 hours ago, konig said:

2) The law about sex in school in Argentina has a lot of gender ideology, thats the problem, all the libertarians are against that for being one of the woke values.

So libertarians are in favor of the government saying what can and can't be taught when it fits their personal social ideology? I thought libertarians were all about personal rights?

Posted (edited)

I do think the IOC should consider forcing Israeli and Palestinian athletes to compete under the Olympic Flag if this isn’t resolved in the next few months (in way that doesn’t involve total destruction of one side).

Edited by Olympian1010

Posted
9 minutes ago, Adriano said:

U.S and Israel should be banned from OG.

They can’t even ban Russia after all their shit.

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
58 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Ааа yes, the billions and billions they make yearly couldn't be possible if they don't start squeezing even more the regular person... Get out !

The internet hasn't been free for a while, but in a few years it's going to become like the supermarket.

I guess my opinion will be different since I work in communications/journalism. People always talk about how they want more creative content, coverage of more events, or a more diversified content offering, yet they never want to pay subscriptions, view ads, or pay for newsletters. Reading an article, or watching a video might be free, but production isn't. I'd love nothing more than to publish articles, podcasts, interviews, etc. all day, but I can't make a living doing that for free.

It really sucks when people use ad blockers or read articles/view media on platforms other than where they were originally published. It decreases a outlet's revenue and it hurts the metrics used to measure interest in that particular media (or eyeballs brought to the platform). It can have a huge affect on the employment of people working in the entertainment/communications/journalism fields.

Of course, I don't want to excuse the greediness of major media companies because they do make a lot of money already. I also don't enjoy having to view a bunch of advertisements or pay subscription fees that seem to be rising in cost every year now. I just have a greater appreciation for why, a some level, that might be necessary to support people who create content I do enjoy.

I'm not perfect about supporting content creators by any means either. I too view movie clips on YouTube, or read articles on other platforms. I do, however, have a informed appreciation of how that might hurt the people making that content.

I do firmly believe that content should be fairly priced, with the user experienced unhindered by advertisements or other pop ups. I understand the frustration people have with the industries I work in, the monetization models aren't ideal in many cases, I just want people to be better advocates for content creators and consider how their online habits can affect someone's livelihood. 

Hopefully that all makes sense.

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
33 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Just want to mention, that Google WILL NOT WIN the war they have started against Adblockers in youtube ! These piranha corporations never learn...

Advertisements are how they make revenue though. Honestly, asking people to watch a couple ads for what is essentially "free content" isn't a huge ask. The bigger problem, if you ask me, is what they pay creators (including those who don't qualify for partner programs, but nonetheless create original content).