website statistics
3 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Personally i don't understand why the youth olympics have to "overlap" with the alpine skiing junior world championships. I think this will prevent some of the best talents from competing at the youth olympics. At least one of the best german athletes (Laila Illig) who would have been eligible to compete at the youth olympics won't compete.

Honestly, that’s more on the FIS. It seems like a really bad scheduling move on their part.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

9 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

What all sports will be streamed? 

I haven't found any concrete info on that yet. In the past, they've offered very limited streams. Hopefully they'll offer more this edition.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Wow, quite a few multi-sports games without hosts heading into the next cycle. Hopefully we’ll see a lot of news on that front this year. 

It does seem like there’s interest from a few nations in hosting the Pan American Games at least. I still think LA should take it as a test event, but that’s just a selfish and unrealistic desire to have them in my backyard essentially :p (Plus, I wouldn’t wish anymore strain on my local communities anyway.)

A significant number of reallocations were made in short track speed skating. The document is quite confusing though: https://isu.org/inside-isu/isu-communications/communications/32814-isu-communication-2608/file @intoronto

:CHI will send a female biathlete to Gangwon @heywoodu :thumbup:

12 athletes in total: https://eldeportero.cl/revisa-nomina-team-chile-juegos-olimpicos-invierno-juventud/

Winter Youth Olympic Games 2024
Posted
5 hours ago, Dragon said:

The argument that is being made is that too much high level competition at a young age causes physical and mental health problems in the long term

Yeah, I've heard this in regards to over training and hyper-specialization, which are both problems in youth sport in the United States. Athlete burn out due to fatigue, poorer results, injury, etc. has become a talking point at the youth level.

Posted
17 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Apparently Norway has, for whatever reason, refused every single quota in cross-country skiing and alpine skiing :yikes: 

It was the talk of the thread about a week ago :p

On 12/18/2023 at 9:48 AM, Olympian1010 said:

:NOR rejected all of their quotas in cross country skiing :yikes:

On 12/18/2023 at 10:46 AM, intoronto said:

:NOR rejected 6 quotas! :NED 2 :AND

At this rate we will get :IND :MAD and :ALG into the games 

Posted
39 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

What's going on with the cross-country skiing program being cut to almost nothing? :yikes:

I actually miss the “cross country cross” events. Yeah, the idea was a bit silly, but it was something unique to the YOG. 

Really, the only thing missing is the skiathlon, mass start, or mixed team sprint. They could probably add the mixed team sprint, so the program includes two sprint opportunities, and two individual opportunities. I wouldn’t mind a mass start, but I don’t know how common those are at the youth level. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Every sport action (Alpine Skiing, Biathlon, Luge, Short Track, Snowboarding and Ski Jumping) on Day 1 & 2 of the Games (Saturday & Sunday 20 & 21 January)in total 19 medal events are schedulled from 9 AM to 2 PM local time so everything between 1 & 6 AM here :p

Nothing after :lol: https://img.olympics.com/images/image/private/fl_attachment/primary/k2euthrn0oaalwoywnsn.pdf

16:00 to 21:00 in California. Seems perfect to me :p

Karlsruhe :GER has emerged as a likely candidate (if not host) for The World Games 2029. It would be the first city to host twice.

Posted

It’s almost like funding youth sports programs in sports with generous qualification systems pays off :p

Posted

@rafalgorka "The Winter Youth Olympic Games will be filmed for live television and digital streaming on Olympic Channel via. Olympics.com and our app, with full session replays and highlights also available." - from an article posted recently on Olympics.com

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Netherlands accepted a reallocate spot in snowboarding :mumble::question:

The athlete had a high ranking, so probably met internal criteria.

Edited by Olympian1010

Posted
7 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

Where to watch it??? Any official streaming site?

No news on that yet, although there are a couple listings on Olympics.com and the Olympics Facebook page.

I assume we’ll get more info on that in the New Year.

Posted

Henry Sildaru :EST missed out on a quota in freestyle skiing. He is still coming back from an injury, so not even sure he would have competed anyway.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, intoronto said:

They accepted the quota in alpine

They're still shown on red (quota not yet accepted, but provisionally allocated), but hopefully you're correct.

Edit: It looks like a glitch, because it says they accepted elsewhere.

Edited by Olympian1010

Posted

:UAE didn't accept its women's snowboard quota in time (FIS chart says they didn't receive a response) :(

They'll need to accept a reallocation in another discipline if they want to send athletes to the Games @intoronto

Posted
3 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Slopestyle athletes can also compete in the half pipe, granted the maximum # per NOC has not been surpassed

Hopefully a couple decide to give it a go then, because those entry numbers are woeful.