website statistics
6 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Hopefully Phelps finally retires now. I just dont get why someone like him cant find an other meaning in life than spending all his time swimming from one side of the pool to the other.

the 23 gold are probably it..... why would you want to do anything as long as you are so much better then anyone else, the amount of money he makes in commercials is insane

3 hours ago, MantaRaymarc said:

Open water swimmers who will also compete in the pool:

:USA Jordan Wilimovsky – Men's 1500 m freestyle

:HUN Éva Risztov – Women's 800 m freestyle

:SVK Richárd Nagy – Men's 800 m freestyle, 400 m individual medley

Isnt it also the tunisian meloulli?

44 minutes ago, Pavlo said:

old veterans in shot put are gone ;). Well, sure, your potential is enormous but the fact is that some of those athletes great at home trails are totally unable to repeat their results at OG. In our internal canoe trails the outcome in Rio can be the same, world championships medallists from 2015 lost and are out, winners probably...won`t repeat their medals in Rio. As to Kovacs? He`s in hard training period? I hope he`s healthy 100%

Often athletes come to trials and dont work too hard because there aren't too many people that can prevent them from going to the games. in USA case.... it's the opposite, the athletes work so hard to get through the trials and reach their peak about a month too early. Kovacs is fine, i saw him in the prefontaine classic last month and he was really good

1 hour ago, Pavlo said:

;), it seems that some stars have lost their places in us trials (both swimming and athletics) at the cost of some less experienced guys. Can they repeat their results at OG? I`m not sure (i mean 200m men`s back or shot put for example). Sometimes, also in PL, those less experienced prepare their max shape for trials

USA have such a deep pool of talent in Swimming and Athletics (well or basketball LOL) that unless your name is Michael Phelps , Katie Ledecky or Ashton Eaton your place in the olympics is never guaranteed, all it takes is one bad performance in the trials, or bad year like Franklin or Lochte and you are out. BTW Joe Kovacs is the world champion in shot put, also the Diamond League Leader but he didn't have a good performance in the trials

USA Swimming Trials Day 7

Men 50m Free - Anthony Ervin (another hometown hero for me lol), Nathan Adrien

Men 100m Fly - Michael Phelps, Tom Shields

Women 800 Free - Katie Ledecky, Leah Smith

Women 200 Back - Missy Franklin, Maya Dirado

Tomorrow Last day of Competition, Finals in Women 50m Free and Men 1500m Free

USA Swimming Trials Day 6

Men 200 IM - Michael Phelps, Ryan Lochte

Men 200 Back - Ryan Murphy, Jacob Pebbly

Women 100 Free - Abby Weitzel (from my home town of Santa Clarita, California!!), Simone Manuel (Amanda Weir, Lea Neil in Relay)

Women 200 Breast - Lilly King, Molly Hannis

Tomorrow Finals

Women 200 Back, 800 Free with Ledecky

Men 100 Fly with Phelps, 50 Free

USA Swimming Trials Day 5

Women 200 Fly - Heli Fleckinger, Cammile Adams

Men 100 Free - Nathan Adrian, Caleb Dressel (Ryan Held, Anthony Ervin made relay team)

Men 200 Breast - Josh Prenot, Kevin Cordes

Day 6 Finals

Men 200 Back , 200 IM (Lochte, Phelps)

Women - 200 Breast, 100 Free (Katie Ledecky)

USA Swimming Trials Day 4

Women 200 Free - Katie Ledecky, Missy Franklin (Leah Smith, Allison Schmitt qualified for the relay)

Men 100 Fly - Michael Phelps, Tom Shields

Women 200 IM - Maya Dirado, Melanie Margalis

Tomorrow Finals

Men 200 Breast, 100 Free

Women 200 Fly

Didn't get a chance to write it yesterday, but better late then never, Summary of results of day 3 of USA Trials

Men 200 Free - Connor Dwyer, Townley Haas (Lochte finishes 4th and only qualifies for relay)

Men 100 Back - Ryan Murphy, David Plummer (Matt Greavers finishes 3rd)

Women 100 Back - Olivia Smoliga, Kathleen Baker (Missy Franklin finishes 7th!)

Women 100 Breast - Lilly King, Katie Meili

later today - Women 200 free finals (with Katie Ledecky, Leah Smith, Missy Franklin and Allison Schmitt), Men 200 Fly (Phelps) and Women 200 IM

USA Swimming Trials Day 2

Women 100 Butterfly - Kelsi Worrell, Dana Volmer

Women 400 Freestyle - Katie Ledecky, Leah Smith

Men 100 Breaststroke -  Kevin Cordes, Cody Miller

Tomorrow Finals

Men - 200 Free, 100 Back

Women - 100 Back, 100 Breast

Also Semifinals of Women 200 Free with Ledecky and Men 200 Butterfly with Michael Phelps

2 hours ago, orangeman said:

Apparently Lochte had a groin injury (though it could be an after-race excuse).  

It's funny to see Phelps' 400 IM in London described as a disaster.  He finished 4th, a third of a second off the podium. In Canada he would have received a parade for that performance :d.  It must be really boring being American watching the Olympics, seeing your people win so many medals in everything must numb the excitement.  

Lol not at all.  Im happy for each one.  I think only one I'm numb to is Simone Biles.  Shes amazing but shes a machine.    

Also americans are not people who follow those sports too much outside od olymlic years like us. So for a lot of people it will be the first time seeing her

• Latest Posts around Totallympics

• With past precedence, a sport not in thr top 2 tiers will likely find it hard to add another discipline without dropping event. For ex. Canoeing in Paris.
    • I'm sure Kata is very historically meaningful, but it's not sport. Lots of dancing is very ritualised too. Still not sport.
    • Ok but the kata is not dancing, are a sequence of pre-established movements which have centuries and is one of the pillars of most martials arts, i cant simply equalize with an street dancing. In kata, i watch a martialist looking for make perfection, in breakdancing i watch a dancer trying to make the best choreography for a judge.
    • Is there anyone out there tracking countries that have met the Alpine Olympic standard already? There have been enough SAC races for it to be possible I think.
    • Karate obviously has lots of problems with officiating. and WKF itself is not a great organization either (most of their rule changes are dumb) but the scoring basic is very simple with only 1 or 2 rare situations.    I know in past IOC (under previous IOC presidents not the current dictator) asked WKF to find a solution, using helmets or something like that to avoid situation like the last Olympic final. and I remember WKF used it for few tournaments around 2000 (1998 Asian Games for example) but nobody (specially the athletes) didn't like it, they dropped the idea.   I totally understand Kata looks very very boring, (as boring as Surfing in my opinion) but that's the heart of karate. even if WKF is allowed to pick 1 event for the Olympics, they will pick Kata  (team kata is much better though)
    • Cross-country is a long standing WA ask. Handball was never going to get Beach, Gymnastics would defo want tumbling, but possibly prefer double mini or trampoline synchro to acrobatic. High diving SHOULD get in and Archery would be better looking at field events, but may be satisfied with the five it has.
    • Worth noting that MMA was once more or less known as 'no holds barred', the most brutal form of combat sport....but almost immediately, certain holds and techniques were barred! Eye gouging, fishhooking and, more important for this discussion "small joint manipulation" - i.e torture submissions based on breaking fingers and toes. Holds that work in te real world...but are unacceptable in the sport. Any martial art that becomes a sport compromises - what do you think boxing gloves are?   My problem with karate is following the scoring and understanding what scores and what doesn't. The action itself looks interesting, but its hard to read a context.   Under no circumstances whatsoever should we see fierce growling and staring at invisible people - Kata - ever return to the games - the only event more shambolic that B-girl Raygun. What next, Haka?