website statistics
8 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

There's little time for gymnasts to test new routines in international competition, so it's usually hard for some countries (including Russia and Romania) to have six gymnasts with good routines in time for the World Championships. Even the US girls often have trouble adapting to the new Code of Points. The level of the team competition would be very low.

Besides, it is important for gymnasts to take their time and adapt to the Code of Points instead of adding big skills and huge difficulty to their routines without serious thought, what would increase the risk of nasty injuries. 

That's why probably Simone Biles said she's taking a year off.... although she might still go to Montreal.... hopefully!

Now that Rio is Over ( :'( ) i'm looking into going to the Gymnastics world championships in Montreal next year. However i see that there is no team competition, only All Around and event Finals, and i also see that every world championship after olympic don't have team competition, any reason for that?

1 minute ago, Federer91 said:

With Raisman being an exception, i though US womens gymnasts go for one Olympic cycle and then new girls come in for the next. Of course with how Biles is dominating, i'm sure your federation wants to keep her indefinitely. :d

Well Gabby Douglas came back, Nastia Liukin tried to come back, Maroney would've come back if not for injuries

15.8 for simone on Floor!!

Just incredible, even though it was fully expected, and 8 point win is incredible, but it's just so satisfying to actually see it happens! just.... speechless

THANK YOU GABBY, ALLY, MADDY, LAURIE AND ABOVE ALL, SIMONE FOR GIVING US THAT PERFORMANCE

GO USA!!!

8 minutes ago, wpwells said:

My point was that it wasn't an undeserved medal like this guy is indicating

umm... hard to say, she had an incredible jump in team final, and equally impressive in the first jump in the final.... but she fell on the second..... she probably deserved the silver just for the first jump but she in no way deserved a gold.....

anyway maroney kind of went insane after, if you want check out a podcast where she talks candidly about usa gymnastics and all that, GymCastic podcast episode 187, it was right after she announced she wont be going after a rio spot

11 minutes ago, wpwells said:

#LetGabbyCompete

Dude.... gabby's results were way below ally, it's a shame they didnt let laurie complete all 4 because she would've been a very interesting addition , but ally gives us a chance at 2 medals, she is looking pretty good, gabby is here for her uneven bars along with maddy

16 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Oh, no. She deserves to have a great competition after so much bad luck over the years. Fingers crossed and I hope she can still perform clean routines.

Also, Hernandez will apparently not perform in the all-around, which is clearly a political decision so Douglas can get attention in the final (after all, she's the defending champion, though she will not come close to the gold medal this time) or even Raisman gets a redemption story (she placed fourth in 2012). Either way, Hernandez is the superior gymnast at this point, only behind Biles, and it's really disgusting that the US will aim for drama with Douglas or Raisman, instead of worthy performances by Hernandez.

Stinks of NBC BS!

1 hour ago, vinipereira said:

You had some little problems on beam, but still ended more than 5 points ahead of China in the final (and 9 points ahead of bronze medallists). I think you're safe, especially seeing that some top teams are having troubles in their selections. I don't know much about China, but I think the podium will look something like USA / China / GB/Russia, although I would love if a "new" nation could medal in the team event.

You don't think that the biggest reason for it is biles? Nbc yesterday was saying shes on track to win 5 gold. Even if she wont.  Being a favorite in so many is insane!!

6 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

Yeah, I know that you don't like when someone thinks that something is "guaranteed", but c'mon, it would be the shock of the century if they loose. As Nastia Liukin commented in the NBC broadcast, they could potentially send two teams and win gold and silver - I don't think this would happen, but they're clearly far ahead of other teams.

After seeing the worlds i dont think that we are so far ahead.  I think its one gymnast that gives such advantage that others cant catch up 

1 hour ago, vinipereira said:

Well, she has a guaranteed gold in the team event. About individual medals, maybe she can win silver/bronze in the All-Around competition and Floor.

She should learn to be amazing on the uneven bars in one month.   The only apparatus where Simone Biles is human

• Latest Posts around Totallympics

• With past precedence, a sport not in thr top 2 tiers will likely find it hard to add another discipline without dropping event. For ex. Canoeing in Paris.
    • I'm sure Kata is very historically meaningful, but it's not sport. Lots of dancing is very ritualised too. Still not sport.
    • Ok but the kata is not dancing, are a sequence of pre-established movements which have centuries and is one of the pillars of most martials arts, i cant simply equalize with an street dancing. In kata, i watch a martialist looking for make perfection, in breakdancing i watch a dancer trying to make the best choreography for a judge.
    • Is there anyone out there tracking countries that have met the Alpine Olympic standard already? There have been enough SAC races for it to be possible I think.
    • Karate obviously has lots of problems with officiating. and WKF itself is not a great organization either (most of their rule changes are dumb) but the scoring basic is very simple with only 1 or 2 rare situations.    I know in past IOC (under previous IOC presidents not the current dictator) asked WKF to find a solution, using helmets or something like that to avoid situation like the last Olympic final. and I remember WKF used it for few tournaments around 2000 (1998 Asian Games for example) but nobody (specially the athletes) didn't like it, they dropped the idea.   I totally understand Kata looks very very boring, (as boring as Surfing in my opinion) but that's the heart of karate. even if WKF is allowed to pick 1 event for the Olympics, they will pick Kata  (team kata is much better though)
    • Cross-country is a long standing WA ask. Handball was never going to get Beach, Gymnastics would defo want tumbling, but possibly prefer double mini or trampoline synchro to acrobatic. High diving SHOULD get in and Archery would be better looking at field events, but may be satisfied with the five it has.
    • Worth noting that MMA was once more or less known as 'no holds barred', the most brutal form of combat sport....but almost immediately, certain holds and techniques were barred! Eye gouging, fishhooking and, more important for this discussion "small joint manipulation" - i.e torture submissions based on breaking fingers and toes. Holds that work in te real world...but are unacceptable in the sport. Any martial art that becomes a sport compromises - what do you think boxing gloves are?   My problem with karate is following the scoring and understanding what scores and what doesn't. The action itself looks interesting, but its hard to read a context.   Under no circumstances whatsoever should we see fierce growling and staring at invisible people - Kata - ever return to the games - the only event more shambolic that B-girl Raygun. What next, Haka?