website statistics
1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Annoyingly enough, yep. And annoyingly enough, in most sports that mostly involves 'current' or very recent athletes, because that's who people remember the most (logically).

It's like calling Phelps the greatest Olympian ever 'because he has so many golds'. Yeah, ok, but does that really make him a great Olympian than someone who won way fewer golds but won all of them in 1 or 2 events since their sport doesn't have 10+ medal chances if you're great?

Of course people are free to discuss what they want though, it just feels so....futile :d 

You shouldn't compare someone like Phelps vs someone like Steve Redgrave, can't even compare phelps vs biles, but within the sport i don't see an issue to do it

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

And the number of medals doesn't make someone 'the GOAT' (to use that awfully overused term). She is obviously one of the best ever, but it is quite literally impossible to seriously compare athletes in any sport through the ages in a somewhat realistic manner. Most sports don't have a....ugh, GOAT, in my opinion, just athletes that are among the best ever or are the best of their generation.

Every sport have a GOAT discussion, Jordan or Lebron, Federer or Djokovic, Hamilton or Schumacher, Pele or Messi, people always try to determine who was the best in a certain sport. And the best way we have to determine that is by achievements, titles, medals.

4 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Lol, ok buddy, everyone is out to the get the Americans. :d

The only hatred i have is for the mass hyperbolization, that occurs from people, whose knowledge is only from the past 10 years and don't care for any sporting history and everything present is the best ever, anytime, anywhere, in the Galaxy...

Please, find me anyone that shares your opinion, anywhere, not from american media, i'm sure there is someone out there that is covering gymnastics for 40 years that will say the same thing

Just now, Federer91 said:

Do you even understand english on what is written in the needless screenshots you post and the comments you make?

Do you? your hatred for Biles, or perhaps all americans makes you say Biles is not the greatest without giving one fact, you think she's overscored, but did you judge in those olympics? by this logic, she should win 4 more golds, even with a subpar uneven bars routine because the judges give her the win no matter what. 

And please tell me one more gymnast who had as massive breakdown as she had in Tokyo and still came back and win 2 golds 3 years later.

6 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

And whether or not she is the GOAT is an opinion combining a wide range of characteristics, than X number of medals, won in dubious opposition and routines. You can go back to Twitter, where i'm sure the "objective" parade is floundering.

Google disagrees

Screenshot 2024-08-01 121412.png

3 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

She is not the GOAT. But you can go join the American media parade. :)

9 Olympic Medals, 6 Gold (potential for another 3)

30 World medals, 23 Gold. 

You seriously want to dispute the numbers??

Hell, i'm sure if she wants to she can take 3 year break and come back to dominate at home.

Artistic Gymnastics at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024
Posted · Deleted by Sindo on 07/19/2024 - will be permanently removed on 07/19/2026
Deleted by Sindo on 07/19/2024 - will be permanently removed on 07/19/2026
47 minutes ago, bestmen said:

Simone Biles is in again , she will until 2168 ?!!! you won all kind of trophies ....let the new comers taste medals ...enough ego 

i'm sure it's because of the Tokyo problems she had, i'm sure she will not be in L.A

29 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

GRXp2AKacAANGUH?format=jpg&name=large

:USA

Women's

Hezly Rivera

Jade Carey

Simone Biles

Sunisa Lee

Jordan Chiles

Unusual to see 4 gymnasts from the last Olympics being selected again, but of course things would be different if Shilese Jones and Skye Blakely weren't injured.

Are they still the no1 gold contenders? (assuming Biles is fully healthy ). And Biles the main Individual All Around gold contender?

5 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

This was probably the worst floor final in the history of this sport. Any of the medalists from 2016 would have made better Olympic champions than Dolgopyat.

Perhaps, but we have an amazing gold.  Believe me no one cares about if he earned it or not 

18 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

For WAG, situations change rapidly. The last major event is 2019 WCh which is no more a effective indicator let alone 2018 and before. Biles is for sure medal contender for all events, but for beam especially, it’s more unpredictable than other 3 events. And also you need compare recent D scores of opponents, Biles no longer have advantage on it and also she consistently have some minor mistakes on beam recently. So her score in US internal event is around 15.0 and it’s lower than Chinese theoretical score recently. If Chinese successfully finish whole routine without obvious mistakes they can achieve above 15.3. Some Chinese girls can achieve it but not consistently so China send a huge beam favored team to bet at least one of them can achieve it on court. So this the current situation for beam.

It's by no mean a lock like Vault of Floor, i know Biles is good for 4 golds, and Beam is her weaker event among the 3. She fell on it in Rio, Doha and wouldn't surprise me if she did again, thats why i wrote a big if for the event. However she is still coming into the olympics a favorite for 5 Golds, whether or not she will achieve it or even more, time will tell, but until she's not standing on the top podium after the Beam final, she is the one to beat.

2 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

So, she didn't compete since 2016 and actually filed a petition to be on the Olympics team? No wonder she's not there. USA doesn't need to use a grandfather clause in a sport they can field a ton of new girls each year. Of course it's all to be tested when Simone Biles retires because she's kinda soaking up all the spotlight all the time.

It will definitely be interesting in Paris since we wont have Simone, but every year they can find someone new and still field a team to win the gold, Patterson->Liukin/Johnson->Weber/Douglas/Raisman->Biles

4 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

So the likes of Morgan Hurd and Laurie Hernandez didn't even make the US Olympic team? I know USA can provide a ton of gymnasts but I thought the gaps at the top are slightly bigger?

Hernandez retired.  She was a commentator during the trials. And will be for Tokyo as well

9 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

If the Chinese girls hit, Biles will not win gold. Her beam routine is difficult, but it's not just a matter of her performing it well and the gold is hers. I'd say right now she's the favorite for a bronze medal. Definitely not gold.

Also, scores in national US competitions are a joke and should never be taken seriously. 

Ok let's talk about worlds and Olympics on the beam

2014 worlds - gold

2015 worlds - gold 

2019 worlds - gold

2016 Olympics,  2018 worlds - fell of the beam, still won bronze.  

You can tell me with a straight face that Biles is not the number one contender for gold on the beam? That's called being a hater

And btw biles won silver on the uneven bars in 2018.   I can see her win 6 golds.  Though I don't believe it will happen

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Is that, however, based on 'Biles is really good' (without really taking the others in account), or based on 'Biles is consistently better than the others who will compete'? Curious what @thiago_simoes has to say about it, definitely our number one gymnastics expert :d 

That's based on Biles being in a whole other level then anyone else on vault, floor and beam, 23 worlds+olympic golds 

1 hour ago, thiago_simoes said:

The women's team is... interesting. Basically, China wanted to male absolutely sure they're going to win gold and silver on the balance beam. So much for "Biles is going to win 5 gold medals" now, unless two Chinese gymnasts have major problems in the event finals. As I suspected, China will be pleased with a team bronze medal, but the strong dependence on the beam routines alone could make things very interesting. I wonder what Fan Yiling will be able to do now, and whether she will be able to win a medal on the uneven bars.

Now, the men's team left me puzzled. What's the point in selecting Lin Chaopan? Maybe he was only selected to complement Sun Wei, but the very fact that Sun Wei was also chosen kind of puzzles me. If it were up to me, I would have selected Zhang Boheng and I would have put Liu Yang in the team, with Weng Hao getting the individual quota. No Sun Wei or Lin Chaopan. I get it that China is trying to justify their presences thanks to previous experience, but it's not like they're actually rock solid and 100% trustworthy, to begin with. I believe You Hao was going to be selected for the team, but since he got the World Cup quota, China had to come up with something completely different from their original plan.

Anyway, I'm very excited about two events now: men's team and rings. If Dalaloyan were 100% healthy, I'd say Russia would take gold easily, but without him in his best form, it's going to be a tough battle between Japan, China and Russia. I don't trust the Japanese team at all, and China might take the gold medal here, even though this is not exactly the absolutely best team China could have assembled. And now that Liu Yang was chosen, Petrounias will not have an easy time trying to win the gold medal. Everybody else will have a very tough fight for the bronze medal.

IF (and thats a big if because she did it in rio) Biles doesn't fall from the beam, the gold is hers

57 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

I only expect girls to match Biles' difficulty on floor in 10 years, maybe even more. She could easily come back for 2024 if she wants, but she said she won't. Time will tell.

Personally, I think she's both the best and the worst thing to happen to artistic gymnastics since Comaneci. It's amazing how far she pushes herself on floor even though nobody else can really come close to what she does, but at the same time it's terrible that she has no competition on this apparatus. Sae Miyakawa was trying some crazy stuff too, but she only hit her floor routine at World once and her execution is so bad she didn't even win a medal.

On vault maybe someone will be able to beat her, but it will be really, really hard. Yeo Seo-jeong is the only one with a minimal chance of beating Biles, but I still can't see it happen unless the upgrades her second vault to an Amanar (and even then it will be close). On bars I don't think Biles can really win gold, and no one should be able to beat the Chinese girls on beam.

So team and all around gold is a given in Tokyo?

On 13/08/2019 at 02:01, OlympicsFan said:

I am pretty confident she will lose at least one out of balance beam and uneven bars. Would be bad for gymnastics if she would win all golds.

I think so but shes probably pretty pissed for falling off the beam in Rio.   Why would it be bad for gymnastics? Shes not Phelps. No way she will come back for Paris

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Well both technically. Both were absolutely amazing to see from her. She’s so nice and humble too. Can’t wait to see what she cooks up next.

She's going for 6 golds in Tokyo, it's hard to root for USA Gymnastics due to the Nassar scandal, but i sure hope she (and Mikulak who so deserves it) have huge games in tokyo

• Latest Posts around Totallympics

• Is there anyone out there tracking countries that have met the Alpine Olympic standard already? There have been enough SAC races for it to be possible I think.
    • Karate obviously has lots of problems with officiating. and WKF itself is not a great organization either (most of their rule changes are dumb) but the scoring basic is very simple with only 1 or 2 rare situations.    I know in past IOC (under previous IOC presidents not the current dictator) asked WKF to find a solution, using helmets or something like that to avoid situation like the last Olympic final. and I remember WKF used it for few tournaments around 2000 (1998 Asian Games for example) but nobody (specially the athletes) didn't like it, they dropped the idea.   I totally understand Kata looks very very boring, (as boring as Surfing in my opinion) but that's the heart of karate. even if WKF is allowed to pick 1 event for the Olympics, they will pick Kata  (team kata is much better though)
    • Cross-country is a long standing WA ask. Handball was never going to get Beach, Gymnastics would defo want tumbling, but possibly prefer double mini or trampoline synchro to acrobatic. High diving SHOULD get in and Archery would be better looking at field events, but may be satisfied with the five it has.
    • Worth noting that MMA was once more or less known as 'no holds barred', the most brutal form of combat sport....but almost immediately, certain holds and techniques were barred! Eye gouging, fishhooking and, more important for this discussion "small joint manipulation" - i.e torture submissions based on breaking fingers and toes. Holds that work in te real world...but are unacceptable in the sport. Any martial art that becomes a sport compromises - what do you think boxing gloves are?   My problem with karate is following the scoring and understanding what scores and what doesn't. The action itself looks interesting, but its hard to read a context.   Under no circumstances whatsoever should we see fierce growling and staring at invisible people - Kata - ever return to the games - the only event more shambolic that B-girl Raygun. What next, Haka?
    • I can understand if they don’t have the multi-events and the walks on the athletic programme, but no javelin? 
    • That was never a controversy for anybody who has watched this sport for an hour.   in Judo you can win by strangulation or something but you can't break the neck I assume.  that's the same with kicking (or punching) to the head in Karate, you can kick but you can't kick with maximum force. that's the first thing they teach you in Karate. the very first thing.
    • Doest it matter ? Should it ?   I mean, the vast majority of olympic events are shit TV products anyway that no one watch outside of the Olympics.