website statistics
Athletics 2019 Discussion Thread
Posted
44 minutes ago, Col_Frost said:

It's (or at least it should be) same important as any other event. It's not more dangerous than javelin. Maybe you remember how Pitkamaeki hit long jumper during Golden League meeting in Rome? So what, we should make every throws outside the competition now? Maybe let's organize them without audience, coaches, referees and more than one competitor. Than it'll be 100% safe. And remind me please, at what meeting warm up is in the center of the stadium? Or maybe you assumed that hammer can fly to place where 100m start is (or to warm up arena)? Safe is very important but it also not very hard to ensure. Get very good net and make sure that no one will be in throw area, that's it. And you don't have move this event hours before any other.

No, no it’s nothing like. All the events are still held on one day in most university and high school meets. So if hammer of javelin is being thrown the schedule goes like this. Hammer (w) at 09:00, Hammer (m) at 10:30, Javelin (w) at 12:00, Distance races from 13:00 - 15:30, Javelin (m) at 14:00, sprints from 16:00 to conclusion. The meets flow nicely and make for a great day of athletics. Plus, we avoid the big chances of major injury. Athletics is then enjoyable, safe, and fun for everyone involved.

41 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I'm still not sure whether or not this is sarcastic. As a fan of sports, it shouldn't be, but I'm not sure.

I’m not sure what you mean. I was saying that in Poland hammer throw is popular and more well regarded. In the US, hammer is often forgotten about and not shown much. Personally, I think hammers cool as hell, and as important as any other the event.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted
12 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

In Poland hammer throw is very important part of the meetings. It's not dangerous at all, when organized well - with the cage, net and people in the field thinking about the danger and behaving appropiate to that.

Right because hammer is an important event. Most people in the US probably don’t even know the hammer throw is a thing, and our sprinters aren’t exactly the brightest...so they’d get hit often when warming up in the field if we had hammer at the same time as other events.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted
Just now, heywoodu said:

Which is sadly why the hammer throw is the ignored baby of athletics.

Well they don’t even let us throw Javelin in California...

Only universities can throw Javelin and there are still some of them that don’t have programs.

Posted
2 hours ago, Griff88 said:

Stupid incident. Completely the organizers fault. In the US, no other events are allowed to take place during the hammer throws. At meets where all events are contested, the hammer throws generally start and finish a few hours earlier than everything else.

Posted
3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Meh. On one hand it's cool someone ran under two hours and Kipchoge seems like a nice guy, on the other hand it would have been so much better if it had been during a regular marathon. 

But let’s not undersell the achievement. I mean he still had to run the marathon. The conditions definitely helped, but it’s still highly impressive.

Posted
Just now, Monzanator said:

Nike shuts down the Oregon Project. Good riddance.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/50011044

This being said, Nike has to deal with another tyre fire over in China & NBA after they could lose more money over Morey's idiotic comments. I guess this made the NOP irrelevant at this stage.

Nike can make money anywhere. They shouldn’t have problems.

Athletics IAAF World Championships 2019
Posted (edited)

The best thing for race walking would be...Keeping judges but not in their current form. I say we have 5 on-course judges and 5 replay judges (the replay judges must be from nations not entered in the event, or from countries that didn’t finish in the top 20). When a judge thinks an athlete is breaking a rule they call it in to the replay judges. Judges will watch the footage and determine if the athlete has broken the rule. If the athlete has broken the rule, a course judge will notify them with a card. Also, shoe chips would be worn to help supplement some “easier calls”, so judges can focus on more technical stuff.

Edited by Olympian1010

Just now, heywoodu said:

The walking route is as boring everywhere basically.

I was talking about the events/races that matter...

:p

Just now, TomJa said:

In terms of place, the IAAF shot itself in the foot. But although the budget will increase :mad:.

Well hopefully as the Gulf Coast continues it’s meteoric economic rise, more sports fans become willing to travel there to watch events. I guarantee you this is only the beginning of big events heading to Qatar, UAE, and Saudi Arabia (and maybe Kuwait or Bahrain since they have grand plans too).

Just now, TomJa said:

The championships are over, so I will sum them up in my opinion:
+ high sports level (in my opinion only two finals were below level - gentlemen javelin and ladies long jump)
+ infrastructure
+ equal opportunities in technical competitions for everyone (especially windy)
- judges (especially walking route)
- organizers' behavior related to covering seats with sheets
- boredom marathon and walking route.
If I think of something, I will write it.

What do you think?

Yeah I’d say this about sums it up. It really is a shame they weren’t in London or Berlin or Eugene this year :(

Just now, thiago_simoes said:

I don't know what is the deal with Paraguay. They seem to never invest in sports, and they haven't performed well even in football. Bolivia, on the other hand, apparently invests big money (well, as much as they can, at least) in a number of sports. Still, I see no chance for an Olympic medal for Bolivia anytime soon, unfortunately, but they are on the right track. Paraguay is not even close. 

I’d say Paraguay is closer personally. They have a decent runner, some decent golfers, some decent tennis players, a decent table tennis athlete, and some decent rowers. Bolivia has race walkers, marathoners, and racquetball players. That’s it. I do agree they are showing improvement though. The continent as a whole is in my opinion.

@Wumo I have a general question about qualification. I know that the number of quotas per event and per gender are capped at a certain amount. I was wondering if the universality quotas are included in that amount?

55 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

I dont think we will break our records for the worlds (14 golds) but we are at 7 already, so will get to at least 10

Only 10 :yikes:

:p

Just now, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Damn it Kara Winger! couldn't you do better to sweep the golds today? :(       Anyway awesome day for Team USA!!

When isn’t it :p. I got bored of winning medals at the Pan Am Games after the first week.

A Paraguayan man won this year's South American marathon championships. I'm not sure what are his chances in a global event, but let's hope he can challenge for a top 10 finish.

He was extremely disappointing at the 2019 Pan American Games. Hopefully it was just nerves at his first major event as a medal contender.

Cienfuegos and Bigot are reason enough to convert me into an avid fan of men's hammer throw now. 

I can’t be the only person that saw “Bigot” and didn’t think this was another argument:facepalm: :p

2 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Lol @ Jacob Ingebrigtsen diving at the end of the 5000 m race to save his 5th place ... :lol:

Qatar got a lot of criticism because the attendance is/was so bad, but i think it is actually a positive thing, because it shows that Qatar isn't a dictatorship and can't force people to attend the competition.

It was also great to see how happy the thousands of ethiopians were when their compatriot won the gold medal. It really paid off for them to get vacation just for this and to fly all the way to Qatar, i wish that people from other nations would be equally enthusiastic.

Their not on vacation. Qatar has several thousand Ethiopian migrant workers and are essentially semi-slaves within the country. I’m actually doing a college research paper on it right now. There’s also large concentrations of Nepalese, Indian, Pilipino, and other South Asians as well.

10 hours ago, ofan said:

Also, I am very keen on a 100m sprint in cross country skiing. What do people think of this?

Already a thing apparently...

56 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

How about beach mixed cross-country relay in North Sentinel Island?

I’ve heard the Sentinelese are targeting the beach archery world championships instead. Apparently they have a good record there, and the organizers are confident in the tribes ability to medal in the new “missionary distance” target competition. 

3 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Why Surrey? Does all the shootings remind you of the US? :p

Loved the area when I stayed there. Maybe I wasn’t in Surrey proper, but we were in a nice area. The only part of the Vancouver area that was meh was the inner city and a few parts around the downtown area. Whistler is arguably one of the most beautiful places on the planet. Plus, it reminds me of the Sierra Nevada which helps. Victoria was alright, but I wouldn’t move to B.C. to fell like I moved to London. I never got to check out Squamish or Dinamo (or some port town with a name like that, it’s a BC Ferries stop).

Just now, George_D said:

Canada could have bought Cubans I guess

Just in case it was lost in translation, I’m from the US. So I found your answer a bit confusing :p. I could live anywhere it would Whistler, Vancouver, or Surrey in Canada. Maybe one day...