website statistics

I still find a bit off that IOC is pushing THAT hard against building a new sliding venue. Because if we don't build any new venue for the Olympics, then nobody is ever going to build any new venue for the sport. Period. And without new venues, the same set of countries is going to win olympic medals for ever and ever (and one in particular who happens to have 3 times more venues than anybody else).

I understand Agenda 2020, the general economical/political context around the olympic games and that you can't ask for the same degree of universality of summer olympic sports. But still, if you basically give up on you only chance to grow the sport by building new venues in new countries, what's the point of the sliding events at the olympics ?

16 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Just came here to ask if we already know which event will be added on Italy's request, but apparently this already has been answered ...

So Russia got figure skating team, China got aerials team and Italy got a whole new sport? Hopefully this nonsense will disappear again. For me 90 % of the charm of becoming olympic champion is about being able to read your name in the history books next to the names of other great champions of the past.

There won't be any NTL at Cortina. FIL allready confirmed that they will only propose the introduction of wommen double in 2026.

https://www.fil-luge.org/en/news/fil-executive-board-applies-with-women-s-doubles-as-new-olympic-event-for-the-olympic-winter-games-milano-cortina-2026

47 minutes ago, phelps said:

I fear that at the end of an endless discussion, they would eventually end up with a temporary pavillion in the 2015 World Expo area, if not the good old Lingotto pavillion in Turin that already hosted the 2006 Speedskating events (which would be unacceptable to me...Turin must be kept far from these Games as pestis)...

Which would be the worst possible outcome. A soulless venue that we already have seen 20 years before. Yeah, the excitement.

Anyway, when there is a will, there might be a way. I remember the Arenes in Nimes being covered in the early 90's which hosted a few handball and tennis matches.

34 minutes ago, dcro said:

It's not like China is good at any of those, so there was no point in adding anything. :dunno:

Italy is probably gunning only for the natural track luge.

Different procedure with little to do with the host. I don't see the IOC introduce it just to scrap it in 2030, nor I see it as a permanent olympic discipline.

11 hours ago, Skijumpingmaster said:

Will the winter olympics hosts choose additional sports to their games like the summer games have?

Yes, Beijing choosed not to add any new sport.

There are very little to chose from anyway, the only 3 recognized winter federations not already present at the winter games being : Ski Mountaineering, Bandy and Climbing (ice climbing). 

Winter Olympic Games 2026 Bid Process
Posted
Il y a 5 heures, phelps a dit :

it's because an international federation sometimes needs to be pushed by some of their members to show interest in making some disciplines "Olympic" (FIL is basically a branch of the German federation...they would never do anything that's against the German interests like entering new non-GER dominated events in the Olympic schedule)...

and however, our NF did that in the name of the local organizers of the Milano-Cortina Olympics, who can do that as an institution yet because of burocratic issues with their statute (basically, the Milano-Cortina LOCOG officially doesn't exist yet)...

Well, NFs can push for whatever new events/disciplines they want, but any new event/discipline applications will have to be run through the international federation. So ... 

It's not an organizing committee stuff neither as we are not talking here about an additional sport (like your beloved paris 2024's Breakdance), but a new discipline in an already existing sport (Luge). Obviously Milan-Cortina 2026 can push also for whatever additions they want, but it's something different that what was reported....

Winter Olympic Games 2026 Bid Process
Posted
il y a 8 minutes, Dunadan a dit :

Actually Flavio Roda, the president of FISI - Italian Winter Sports Federation said that "as a federation we have submitted an application to the IOC in order to have natural track luge as an Olympic discipline in 2026"

https://www.fisi.org/slittino-pista-naturale/news/20646-il-presidente-flavio-roda-in-val-passiria-per-la-tappa-di-cdm-uno-sport-che-mi-affascina-lavoriamo-per-farlo-diventare-disciplina-olimpica

so unless he's lying they've started taking the first official step- if this application will be taken into consideration by the IOC or not is another matter.

Since when national federations are asking themselves for new sports/disciplines to be included in the olympics ?...

à l’instant, phelps a dit :

and now it's time to start speculating about possible new sports/events which could/should be added to the 2026 Winter Games schedule...

some Italian media have already started dreaming of Natural Track Luge (we can fairly say "it's now or never"...if there's a remote chance to see this discipline at the Olympic Games, this is certainly at the Italian Games), Ski Mountaineering and Ice Climbing...

Ski ballet or death.

il y a 21 minutes, phelps a déclaré:

trust me, I've been living all my life dreaming of a strong and serious Milan Summer Games bid...but now I'm old and experienced enopugh to know that it won't never happen...

so, with my heart bleeding, I'm against all of this farce represented by these bids Italy has presented in the last years (and luckily gone missing for one reason or another, despite I really hate the people who killed that Olympic bids for other reasons, since they've done so many damages to the "normal" people living in this Country -and Mayor Virginia Raggi to those living in Rome in particular)...

as one of the biggest Olympic fans in this Country, I think the best chance for our Nation is to save money from this kind of events and enjoy the Games organized by other Countries that can easily make a good job for Sport and for the Olympic Games ideal...

Honnestly, this bid feel strange from the beginning, a bit rushed and now spread too much for little purpose (other than balancing italian political scope I immagine). But don't worry, if they end up winning, it will be fine. It allways is.

I'd love to see Milan and Turin for a joint bid for the summer olympics though :p

il y a 18 minutes, phelps a déclaré:

sure, the bid will survive (and it's also a strong one, if the IOC changed the rules to make it "legal")...

I've read that the IOC idea was to award the 2026 Games to Italy and 2030 Games to Stockholm in the same session in 2019, so to keep up the pace with the Summer Games and to put themselves "safe" for a longer period (because they're really scared about all those European bids retired at the last moment after public consultations)...

Stockholm is basically vaporware at that point...It won't happen.

If the italian bid survive, they will have it in the bag. But I don't share your optism, i beleive we won't see an european bid making the last stage (again)

il y a 12 minutes, phelps a déclaré:

it's more complicated than that...

basically, our NOC (after the IOC gave them permission to do it) has approved a tri-city bid (Milano, Torino, Cortina)...

but now Milan, that thought (with all the reason, I'd say) they would be the real candidate town (with only some events hosted by the other bidders, Torino and Cortina), has decided to opt out from the possible governance of the final bid (in practice, no Milan officials nor politicians will be in the "Local Organizing Committee" of the Games), giving in any case the OK to our NOC to be included among the Olympic Venues (it's still unclear if they want the name of the city included in the official bid -it's still supposed that the Opening Ceremony will be in San Siro Stadium, so it would be really strange if the name "Milano" won't be included- or not)...

however, this not a sport bid anymore...it's just a political compromise that has nothing to do with sport, but only with our worst habit, the systematic spoil system of all our public institutons by the governing political parties...

and technically it's just something unacceptable (a few proposed venues are just a joke)...

Do you think the bid will survive (generally speaking, not just with this Milan thing) ?

il y a 3 minutes, Nate River a déclaré:

Sion had the best bid IMO, it’s a real shame to see them withdraw.

Yes, it had (except for the speed skating thing). I don't believe Switzerland could had a better bid tbh. It's more that possible that we will never see a swiss bid ever again...

il y a 17 minutes, Swewi a déclaré:

What do you think about the swedish chances? Should be good since we have never had a winter olympics and are one of the top winter nations, and we have many successfull organized wintersport championships in the past.

I'd say that if any (western) european city makes it to the final candidate stage, they will have it in the bag. The thing is, I don't believe anymore that a western european bid will survive so far (Sion was my best hope).

il y a 43 minutes, heywoodu a déclaré:

Sion 2026 isn't sure yet about where to have the speed skating, there are several options ranging from a temporary venue (they don't want to build anything that's not being used after the Olympics) to.......going to the Netherlands :d (which I guess should obviously be Thialf in Heerenveen)

https://www.blick.ch/sport/olympia/wegen-fehlender-eisschnelllauf-arena-findet-sion-2026-auch-in-holland-statt-id8139831.html

Old news. Second post of this thread :raspberry:

Anyway, at that point, Sion 2026 looks very much in Jeopardy. Unfortunatly.

Major surprise as the swiss parliament is asking to switch the Sion 2026 referendum from Valais canton to national level.

https://gamesbids.com/eng/winter-olympic-bids/2026-olympic-bid-news/sion-2026-olympic-bid-in-danger-as-referendum-could-be-switched-to-national-vote/

Most people believe that the referendum won't stand a chance in a national vote...

il y a 1 minute, Skijumpingmaster a déclaré:

Ski flying would be a discipline yes , but telemark would be a new sport in the olympics. 

Norwegian IOC member Gerhard Heiberg has said that in the future host nations could get the ability to propose five new sports/events/disciplines. Heiberg then proposed ski flying , telemark , dog sled , ski orinenteering and bandy. 

He must be refering to the additional sports from Agenda 2020 that have been inaugurated with Tokyo 2020 right ? If so, this is only about news sports from new - recognised - federations.

Or, it's something new entirelly, and then I'm out.