website statistics
3 minutes ago, dcro said:

It does matter though.

How on earth do they expect 16 relays to qualify with these OSTs? 16 is waaaay to much for swimming anyways, given the inflation of relay events. It should be 12 at best.

There are no longer minimum time standards for relays. Honestly the OCT is pretty useless now, they might as well say any extra spots will be awarded to the next highest ranked athletes.

1 hour ago, FancyFenchel said:

The Olympics Qualifying Times OQT are just the 14th time of heats of previous Olympics in the particular event. (They use 14th place of previous for Tokyo too).

But Olympic Consideration Time OCT is just OQT + 0,5% which is insane.

In case of Tokyo OCT was OQT + 3,0%.

To be fair, very few athletes actually qualified through the OST/OCT in 2020. With the reduction of swimming quotas, there's a chance we may not even use them.

8 hours ago, intoronto said:

Rowing changes: LW2x (men and women), Asia and Americas each lose a boat (-8 quotas), and the Quad and Fours each lose a boat (-16). I wish they saved one of the fours events and reduced all continental quotas to one boat max.

I don't think it would be good for rowing's long term stability if they reduced the continental quotas. It already has difficulties in terms of diversity/competitive nations in the larger boats. If boxing/modern pentathlon/weightlifting ever get off of the IOC's radar, rowing could be the next target.

Looks like there's a cap for swimming (26 men and 26 women). Though in practice only the United States could be affected. Maybe Australia if they decide to be more generous with their quota allocation.

Also with no quotas offered at the 2024 World Aquatics Championships, I can see a lot of teams sending their B-squad to Doha.

Canada will most likely have less athletes. We are automatically down 15 thanks to softball no longer being on the program. We were also really lucky in terms of the number of team sports we qualified in. Still hoping for 300+ athletes, but again that hinges on the number of team sports we qualify in. As for sports, I'm hoping for representation in at least 26/32 sports.

The lack of quotas in combat sports makes having more than 1 athlete per event not very feasible unless you restrict it to the point where both athletes have to be in the top 3. Even then, using the 2020 judo rankings that would have granted four athletes a spot (2 for Japan and 1 for Canada and Russia). Once you go further, then the diversity drops rather quickly.

Usually if there are participation requirements it is mentioned earlier in the document, not in the reallocation section. It could mean that for the quota to be reallocated there must be four competing athletes, rather than the original quota needing at least four competing athletes.

If they do mean the original quota that pretty much voids the Oceania qualifier, unless there's some coordination and they can get 1 or 2 weight classes. It can also affected some of the other continents in the women's -67kg and +67kg, for example, the Asian women's -67kg qualifier only had 3 athletes.

Maybe the intent is they didn't want athletes getting a free quota for just showing up like Jordan and Tonga in women's -67kg and Australia in men's -58kg, but then they should make a rule saying that the qualifying athlete must defeat at least one opponent (also allow a three person bracket be round robin for the continents with two quotas)

Usually I dislike it when sports cut their tripartite quotas, but for judo it probably doesn't hurt much, the old system guaranteed 121 different nations so cutting it down to 116+ nations isn't the end of the world. It'll also help prevent the mixed team event from having an embarrassing low amount of teams (2020 was okay, but there could be situations where we'll struggle to get 8+ teams in the old system).

25 minutes ago, dcro said:

Great, so you can be from :SKN then, hit 0/125 targets in both Pan Am Championships, and be eligible for the universality spot. :p

You still need to finish in the top 15 at the continental qualifiers in order to get points and outside of women's trap and skeet we typically have 30+ competitors so there's at least some standard, but yes there is a chance that someone in women's skeet could be given a free spot.

32 minutes ago, dcro said:

But then again, they couldn't find one MQS universality athlete to fill out the spots for M 25 m rapid fire pistol, M skeet, W 50 m rifle 3 positions, W trap, W skeet in Tokyo.

Unless I got something terribly wrong, some :PLW athlete can appear at the Oceanian Championships in women's trap. Hit 0/125 targets, but get ranking points and therefore be eligible for the Olympics?

Not exactly, athletes need to have participated in at least two events and they must have a ranking in the world rankings. Ranking points have a minimum number of participants, notably 15 for continental championships so countries in Africa and Oceania are at a disadvantage. Maybe someone from Pan America could sneak in.

I'm confused about shooting, on the bottom of page 4 it says

"One NOC can obtain only one quota place in any of the individual events at one designated ISSF Championship."

Does that mean nations can't earn two quotas in the same event at the same qualifier?

That makes things interesting, but I could be reading it wrong.

4 minutes ago, dcro said:

FIVB just continues to be shamelessly transparent in regards of the beach volleyball. "Continental Cup" as a qualifier makes no sense. Guess who profits from it?

But if it ain't broke...

Yeah, I'm still upset that they essentially prevented :VAN from qualifying because they couldn't find a second competitive team.

1 hour ago, Vic Liu said:

I think it partially because some countries continuously quit tournaments due to Covid (especially East Asian)so IOC wants to stop this trend and hope every nation begins to attend all kinds of tournaments as usual in the new cycle.

It'll be interesting to see how things go for East Asia in terms of qualification. I don't see them missing anything important, but they could lose out on borderline qualification, except North Korea which may or may not continue their break from international sports. Of course, if things get better by 2023 then they won't lose much.

Yeah, it's not as easy as calling a new sport and asking them if they want to be in the Olympics. At the very least, the IOC would have to open up a proposal phase, have a review, select the sport and then approve the qualification process.

With that said I am not convinced boxing/weightlifting will be removed. The two sport federations will do the bare minimum to stay.

If anyone is interested, here's a comparison between the 2020 and 2024 Olympics (for sailing/surfing I went with their original schedule). The colored squares was the 2020 schedule (blue = qualification only days, gold = medal days) while squares with a letter (Q for qualification only days, F for finals days) is the 2024 schedule.

Most sports either stayed the same or shifted one day, but there are some major changes like taekwondo shifting from the first four days to days 11-15.

2020 to 2024 Schedule Comparison.png

2 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Looks like it's a stadium issue.  They're at Stade de France, so they probably need it to start/finish a couple of days earlier to get the stadium ready for athletics.

I mean, they could just make the tournaments, two-day affairs like they usually do in the World Series.

Personally I really dislike having events before the opening ceremony. Football is fine because they have to and I can begrudgingly accept team sports like handball, but for something like archery which has no reason. The sport isn't even doing anything on Saturday so it isn't a scheduling issue.

2 hours ago, intoronto said:

First bit of information: Pan American region will receive 42 quotas (38 in 2020).

Three events will allocate quotas: 2022 Pan Am Championships (November) - 1 quota in each of the 12 individual events, 2023 Pan American Games (October 2023), 1 quota in each of the events (2 in trap, skeet and 25 m pistol events) and finally 2024 Pan American Championships (1 quota per event). In 2020 only 2 events served as qualifying tournaments.

The increase in quotas implies that World Cup quotas are decreased? I am not sure...

Source in Spanish

Assuming they are going with their original plan, the World Cups won't offer any direct quotas. It'll be the 2022 and 2023 World Championships, the continental qualifiers and I think the World Rankings (not 100% on that one).