website statistics
26 minutes ago, Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo said:

Russians athlete will partecipate in Paris 2024, albeit in reduced team. 
They are probably qualified in:
- judo;
- tennis;
- fencing (individual);
- cycling bmx
- wrestling

If they are allowed in then a lot of countries will boycott including possibly big nations like the UK. 

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 News
Posted
20 hours ago, hmc16 said:

Macron re-elected French President.

No doubt there'll be a sigh of relief in Lausanne, where there were probably fears of a Le Pen victory overshadowing the Paris Olympics. The IOC will probably be pretty happy they can have a Games not overshadowed by politics and external events, unlike 2014, 2016, 2018 and 2020.

Still got the big issue of Russia and Belarus and if they will be banned or not. 

28 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Absolutely, but I think it's fair to say weightlifting is, globally speaking, just not a huge sport in terms of viewing numbers. There's a strong and dedicated following, but I truly wonder which percentage of all the Olympic viewers watched even one second of weightlifting in the past few Olympics.

It seemed reasonably popular in the UK as the BBC had two dedicated commentators cover the highlights of every final including the majority that had no British participants. For some sports like Artistic Swimming the highlights used OBS commentators. 

8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Normally, no. But considering this has been in the air for a long time and IWF is just somehow managing to make it worse on a near-daily basis, I'm kind of expecting that, yes.

Not that it would matter for Paris 2024 as a whole of course. Terrible for the athletes, sad for weightlifting fans, but other than that, I highly doubt anyone will really care. And that's not even thinking about probably 90% - at least - of the Olympic viewers who won't even know it was gone until it's back in LA 2028 (if they'll even notice the existence then).

I can’t see it coming back after it is axed. 

It will be a bit awkward due to the French political pressure to reinstate Karate to then axe a sport after saying the programme is fixed. 

On 8/14/2021 at 2:31 AM, thiago_simoes said:

Completely unrealistic, but you never know when FIG is going to do something stupid. It's basically the Homer Simpson of international federations: if you watch long enough, you will see it doing something really stupid.

I just mentioned floor and vault because there's no way FIG would remove pommel horse and parallel bars, so floor and vault are the apparatus that are "repeated" in women's artistic gymnastics, so I guess it would be somehow easier to justify their exclusion because they would still be part of the Olympic program, but restricted to women, instead?

Anyway, just a bunch of crazy theories that won't happen... Hopefully.

Max Whitlock was asked on Instagram yesterday if he thinks a mixed team event will come one day to Gymnastics and he said it would be an interesting idea. 

24 minutes ago, phelps said:

actually, mixed team skeet is going to replace mixed team trap in Paris 2024...

they're going to hold only one of the two disciplines, alternating each time (so, in 2028 mixed team trap will be back instead of mixed team skeet)...

I hate that system. Considering nearly all of the participants are in the individual what real effect does holding both have. 

7 minutes ago, dcro said:

This has already been reached for Paris so I guess it's over.

Interesting how people keep talking about removing sports (or disciplines), and really there is no indication that IOC would ever do that. Baseball/softball are like the only sports which ever got removed, and both of them were in the Olympics for a short period to begin with.

I think it’s possible for 2036 and afterwards for sports to be dropped to fit new ones in. Even in 2028 and 2032 there is talk of cricket and netball being added - where are the quotas for them coming from? 

4 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I think the events are mostly set for 2024 (barring weightlifting getting completely kicked out), I'm thinking ahead as to how the IOC may make medaling events gender equal (because they will). Gymnastics poses an interesting conundrum where they'll have to work with wrestling to keep their respective disciplines in the games or either axe the artistic apparatus events or increase the women's event to six apparatuses by adding two of PH/Rings/PB/HB, neither of which are ideal.

None of them would properly work for women and to do so would have to be the end of a lengthy process which starts with the junior ranks first. 

I wonder if the fact a lot of weightlifting medals were won by powerful nations will help save it for 2024. China in particular has little strength in most new events or sports and removing weightlifting will likely secure the USA at the top for Paris let alone LA which I doubt they will be in a hurry to support. 

Indirect qualifications start this year for some team events - like with the Women’s football to make the UEFA quotas a team has to be among the top three European games at the 2023 World Cup. The qualification draw for that has been done and the first matches are next month.