website statistics

New era for throwing athletics world records?

Orisek

Now, when gender equality is big thing - what do you think about idea of erasing women's world records in athletics throwing events and starting new era when women will be using men's equipment weights. This may be too radical (for example mens discus is two times heavier) but on the other hand it will resolve crazy unbeatable records (shot put) from steroid era.

I am quite curious if there already exist some world records (best performances) for women with mens weight equipment in throwing events. Maybe athletics will move towards this idea in the future...

I doubt it'll happen, simply because it might result in things like the heptathlon shot put....that's already not great to watch, but if the women suddenly have to throw an almost twice as heavy ball of metal I wonder if, say, 15 meters are even realistic...

The only thing I'd think about changing is the 400m hurdle height, they are just so low. It's no wonder the best female 400m hurdlers are relatively way better 400m runners than the best male 400m hurdlers. Making the weights in throwing events way heavier is just going to make for amateurish looking competition though.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

58 minutes ago, Orisek said:

Now, when gender equality is big thing - what do you think about idea of erasing women's world records in athletics throwing events and starting new era when women will be using men's equipment weights. This may be too radical (for example mens discus is two times heavier) but on the other hand it will resolve crazy unbeatable records (shot put) from steroid era.

I am quite curious if there already exist some world records (best performances) for women with mens weight equipment in throwing events. Maybe athletics will move towards this idea in the future...

I don't see any records kept for that - technically the World's Best.  Here's a list of all the non-standard records.

List of world records in athletics - Wikipedia

12 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

I don't see any records kept for that - technically the World's Best.  Here's a list of all the non-standard records.

List of world records in athletics - Wikipedia

Bit of a shame. Like with a women's decathlon, I'd be sure some women have at least done some sort of a non-serious competition with men's weights, for shits and giggles, so to say..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!