website statistics

Team GB Daily: Day 16

Traditionally we are strong in events where russia are not, rowing sailing track cycling, i think other countries may benefit more from them not being here than us.

They would certainly take golds off japan in wrestling (judo?). A couple from australia in swimming maybe, we'll never know but interesting to think about in a paraell universe

Edited by Olympicsnell

42 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

So take this with a huge grain of salt because it is only my opinion, but I reckon that 88 of our 135 top 8 finishes have a strong chance of being back in LA. 

Of that 88, 40 of our 65 medalists could reasonably return, including 12 of our golds.

My vague methodology to work it out was removing anyone who would be over 30 in 2028, or potentially even younger in some sports (ie swimmers and gymnasts sometimes retire competitively by the time they are 25). I've also positively included teams like rowers, where we always seem to find someone who will be at least competitive in most disciplines. Same with athletics relays etc.

I've been cautious in my thinking, erring on the side of ruling someone out if I thought there was any doubt.

Obviously there will undoubtedly be some of the athletes who will make it who are older and some younger who won't. But it is a good starting point to consider. This definitely was not a team of grizzled veterans.

Don't worry I'm on it.... Scope will be anyone who made quarters or top 10 in a final I'll actually look up ages! See you in 2-3 hours. 

(Yes I am extracting it from Wikipedia and not manually typing in everyone) 

image.png

I don't hate Bach nearly as much as everyone else on this forum seems to

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

49 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

Traditionally we are strong in events where russia are not, rowing sailing track cycling, i think other countries may benefit more from them not being here than us.

They would certainly take golds off japan in wrestling (judo?). A couple from australia in swimming maybe, we'll never know but interesting to think about in a paraell universe

Agreed that there are countries that would be hurt more but our total medal haul would be affected for sure. Gymnastics probably the most obvious sport where we would definitely lose medals to them.

I will say, it seems our prediction was only partially accurate - 10 28 year olds placed bronze, so perhaps less hope for LA. I'll do Gold and Silver ages after some food

image.png

On 8/11/2024 at 12:06 AM, Mkbw50 said:

image.png

Welcome to Team GB Daily, the Daily thread for Team GB in Paris on Totallympics! Catch the whole Team GB schedule in UK time, and discuss the day's events.

SCHEDULE

0700 ATHLETICS WOMEN'S MARATHON: Clara Evans, Rose Harvey, Calli Hauger-Thackery Evans 46th in 2:33:01 SB, Harvey 78th in 2:51:03, Hauger-Thackeray DNF

1000 CYCLING TRACK WOMEN'S OMNIUM Scratch Race 1/4: Neah Evans 22nd and one point

1000 MODERN PENTATHLON WOMEN'S INDIVIDUAL Final Riding Show Jumping: Kerenza Bryson, Kate French French isn't here anymore. 15th with 286 points, onto the next one

1022 CYCLING TRACK WOMEN'S SPRINT Semifinals Race 1: Emma Finucane Second by 0.096s, onto the next race

1029 CYCLING TRACK MEN'S KEIRIN Quarterfinals: Jack Carlin, Hamish Turnbull Carlin won Heat 1, Turnbull second in Heat 2 by 0.089, both into the semis today

1030 WEIGHTLIFTING WOMEN'S +81KG: Emily Campbell BRONZE! 288

1040 MODERN PENTATHLON WOMEN'S INDIVIDUAL Final Fencing Bonus Round: Kerenza Bryson, Kate French No Bonus points for Bryson, 4th in Fencing with 200, onto the Swimming

1050 CYCLING TRACK WOMEN'S SPRINT Semifinals Race 2: Emma Finucane 2nd by 0.050 and into the Bronze Race

1057 CYCLING TRACK WOMEN'S OMNIUM Tempo Race 2/4: Neah Evans 18th with 0 points, so six to the onium

1110 MODERN PENTATHLON WOMEN'S INDIVIDUAL Final Swimming 200m Freestyle: Kerenza Bryson, Kate French 15th for Bryson  in 2:21.77, 267 points, to laser run

1125 CYCLING TRACK WOMEN'S SPRINT Final 5-8: Sophie Capewell Victory, so Capewell finishes 5th

1129 CYCLING TRACK MEN'S KEIRIN Semifinals: Jack Carlin, Hamish Turnbull Victory for Carlin in Heat 1 so to the Gold race, Turnbull DNF in Heat 2 so to the 7-12 race

1140 MODERN PENTATHLON WOMEN'S INDIVIDUAL Final Laser Run: Kerenza Bryson, Kate French 10th in 11:19.12 and 621 points, 9th overall on 1404 points

1145 CYCLING TRACK WOMEN'S SPRINT Finals Race 1: Emma Finucane Victory for Finucane in Bronze race, onto Heat 2

1153 CYCLING TRACK WOMEN'S OMNIUM Elimination Race 3/4: Neah Evans 17th and eight points, onto the points race

1215 CYCLING TRACK WOMEN'S SPRINT Finals Race 2: Emma Finucane BRONZE! Victory

1223 CYCLING TRACK MEN'S KEIRIN Final for Places 7-12: Hamish Turnbull DNS

1232 CYCLING TRACK MEN'S KEIRIN Gold Final: Jack Carlin DNF

1256 CYCLING TRACK WOMEN'S OMNIUM Points Race 4/4: Neah Evans 5th with 37 points, finished 15th overall with 52

2000 CEREMONIES CLOSING CEREMONY It happened

Question of the Day

Athletics: Any Brits in the top twenty? No

Ceremonies: Who is/are the flagbearer(s)? Alex Yee and Byrony Page

Cycling Track: Any golds? No

Modern Pentathlon: Gold? No

Weightlifting: Does Campbell get a medal? Yes

Leaderboard

112 - @cjsavory

108 - @Olympicsnell

98 - @Mkbw50

90 - @adolphin @G-ann

73 - @Jon

Medal count

14/22/27

@Mkbw50 have the final totals been tallied? 

Curious to see if I am the epitome of the games with a solid performance, a glimmer of hope and finishing in a resounding 4th place to a strong set of competitors! 

23 minutes ago, G-ann said:

@Mkbw50 have the final totals been tallied? 

Curious to see if I am the epitome of the games with a solid performance, a glimmer of hope and finishing in a resounding 4th place to a strong set of competitors! 

Yes you came 4th by two points

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold