website statistics

Team GB medal hopes - Swimming Road to Paris 2024

Freya Anderson missed the 200m Free this morning, as probably expected. Will see later on whether there's still a spot for her available in the event - Freya Colbert confirmed that she won't compete in the 200m even if she has the time, as it will clash with the 400IM.

Good to see Medi Harris competing, given the unfortunate news she has recently had re family bereavement.

Peaty throwing down the current fastest time in the world in the heat this morning, looking better than he has at any point since Tokyo. With Qin's form last year he's still the underdog but he's definitely put himself right back into contention.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Clandlewood said:

Hi all. Be interested to hear people's views on how things are looking for Team GB after the events in the last few weeks?

It's tough to get a full read until some of the other countries have their trials.

But this is where I would say we are at right now in the pool, in terms of prospective medals in Paris. Not predicting a particular colour for any of them.

Very High Chance

M 4x200m free

M 100m breaststroke - Peaty

Good Chance

M 4x100m free

M 200m free - Richards or Scott

M 200m IM - Scott

M 50m free - Proud

Outside Chance

W 400m IM - Colbert

M 400IM - Litchfield

M 200m IM - Dean

M 4x100m medley

Mx 4x100m medley

Shock Chance

W 4x200m free

W 4x100m free

M 100m free - Richards

M 100m back - Morgan

M 200m back - Morgan or Greenbank

W 200m fly - Stephens or MacInnes

W 200m back - Shanahan

W 200m IM - Wood or Colbert

Obviously, there's always shocks and surprises. The performance of other nations also will be key - you would expect the US and Aus to be strong always. But China are the great unknown. If they have a strong Olympics, our medal chances will be hit hard. If they don't, our chances open up in a bunch of events. Also, fitness is part of it - if Freya Anderson doesn't recover from her woes, our women's relay long shots become non-existant shots.

Edited by Epic Failure

Strong Gold chance : M 4 x 200 Free

Strong medal, possible Gold chance : M 100 Br (Peaty)

Strong medal, outside gold chance : M 50 Fr (Proud), X 4 x 100 medley

Strong medal, not gold chance : M 200 IM (Scott), M 200 fr (Richards), M 4 x 1 medley

Good Medal : M 4 x 1 fr, M 200 fr (Scott), M 200 IM (Dean)

Punchers chance of medal : M 100 fr (Richards), W 4 x 200 (if Freya A is fit), W 400 IM (Colbert), M 200 Bk (Morgan or Greenbank but not both), M 400 IM (Litchfield)

not beyond the bounds of possibility, but not at all  likely : W 200 IM (Wood), W 200 Back (Shanahan) M 100 bk (Morgan)

At this stage, all depends IMHO on which China show up - strong China could mean just 3-5 medals, flaky china could mean 7-9,

Edited by mpjmcevoy

Posted (edited)

- I think Proud has put himself in the category of a good chance for gold category. Cam seemed to succumb to the pressure at World’s and proved he isn’t infallible and That time Ben posted at trials puts him in a great spot to be pushing 21 flat at Paris. He seems mentally in a really good place so I’m excited to see what he can do

- 4 x 200m free for mens = gold barring something unusual

- 4 x 100m free = I’d say favourites for silver at the moment, can we challenge US?

- 4x100m men’s medley = I think we need Jacob Peters on the team, so it’s hard to judge pre selection. But surely a medal contender with the other 3 legs.

- 4 x100m mixed medley = don’t love our chances at retaining this without a fly swimmer. You need one of the 100m fly girls to push on hard in the months before Paris (Morgan Peaty mcinnes Hopkin)

-men’s 100m breast = Peaty vs Qin. Hard to know who is favourite right now but my head slightly thinks Qin. Peaty takes silver most likely.

- 200IM men = Scott beating Marchand is looking like a pipe dream of mine now after US NCAAs, but a medal is likely in my view. Tom Dean outside chance of a medal too.

- 200IM women = outside chance for Abbie Wood as she looked great at trials with new PB. Will need to knock another second off to go 2 07 to medal most likely.

- 400IM men = bronze chance for Max but will have to beat Clareburt among others.

- 400IM women = I was dismissed on here in the other thread but I’m sticking to my prediction that Freya has a great chance at wins bronze behind Summer and Katie.

- I don’t see our girls medalling in 200m back but could both final.

- 200m fly women = very outside chance of a medal for either of the 2 girls.

- men’s 200m free = 2 good medal chances but it’s very hard to predict. Gold chances.

- women’s 4x200m free = I’d love to see the girls win a bronze here, but it’s going to be tough. Need Freya A back to her best.

- backstroke men’s 100m = outside medal chance for Ollie

-200m back men’s = bronze chances for our 2 boys. Both capable on their best of going very fast.

- 100m free = I don’t rule out Matt Richards but it’ll be very tough to get on the podium

Edited by RussB

17 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

I am not sure Freya Anderson is going to be selected. 

Do you have any actual evidence to back that up, or are you just guessing?

Because unless Freya chooses not to go or her illness gets worse again, I would be stunned if GB don't take her. Even if just as relay cover.

We saw in London that Freya at 90% (her description) is still good enough to be in the 4x100m free team. With the 4x200m and mixed medley as well, it would be crazy to not take her.

It would be utterly self defeating to not select her.

3 hours ago, Epic Failure said:

Do you have any actual evidence to back that up, or are you just guessing?

Because unless Freya chooses not to go or her illness gets worse again, I would be stunned if GB don't take her. Even if just as relay cover.

We saw in London that Freya at 90% (her description) is still good enough to be in the 4x100m free team. With the 4x200m and mixed medley as well, it would be crazy to not take her.

It would be utterly self defeating to not select her.

Just her social media this weekend has been a little downbeat which is making me fear she hasn’t been selected. They were told last week ready for Tuesday’s announcement. 

2 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

Just her social media this weekend has been a little downbeat which is making me fear she hasn’t been selected. They were told last week ready for Tuesday’s announcement. 

i'm gonna listen to you here because when it comes to being downbeat and negative you are the expert

9 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

Her instagram has not been negative at all. She will be selected, if she isn't I'd be utterly flabbergasted. Pls stop spreading random fake news.