website statistics
African Games 2019
Posted
Just now, thepharoah said:

Morocco almost reached all finals in Karate :d This sport will never change

Yeah out of all the martial arts, Karate is the one with the most set winners. Good karatekas rarely lose at the top level. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

African Games 2019
Posted
Just now, thiago_simoes said:

I wonder why it was translated to Portuguese instead of French.

Well there are a few Portuguese speaking African nations ( :MOZ off the top of my head), but that is a good question. It shouldn’t been there either way.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Mediterranean Beach Games 2019
Posted
Just now, Sindo said:

The program page seems to be wrong though and they haven't fixed it yet. Everything is one day ahead of real schedule :p

That’s ok the Parapan Am Games are helping with Plan B. I’ll probably watch both and sleep very little this week.

Winter Youth Olympic Games 2020
Posted

@intoronto Since you generally seem to be in the know, any idea if Canada has selected a boys or girls hockey team? They can only send one.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Ok, I found the start list and guess what, i don't know a single name... Maybe some beach soccer player :p

Not unexpected. These really are games meant for sports that don’t get a lot of attention and athletes who have worked hard, but aren’t always at the elite level in the “real” version of the sport. As I said, these are meant to be “just for fun games”. I think the competition should be taken seriously, but that the games aren’t meant to be a serious multi-sport event. It’s just a fun little event in between when the “real” one comes around. I’ve quite enjoyed the other beach games this year.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Ok, I found the start list and guess what, i don't know a single name... Maybe some beach soccer player :p

Where? I couldn’t find them earlier

Posted

Olympic Channel will broadcast the games as well it appears. Already a few events on their schedule :yes

African Games 2019
Posted
6 hours ago, dcro said:

Results of the MTB races have been validated by UCI, and they will give the expected number of Olympic qualification ranking points. Clearly this means that everything about the course was inside regulations. Excuse Moroccans for not building an expensive fancy course for a sport that is non-existent in their country.

Let me remind you that Rabat was selected as a replacement host in July of 2018.

Samoa was selected one year before too. They stay had the most functional, and best edition of the 2019 Pacific Games ever.

World Urban Games 2019
Posted
Just now, heywoodu said:

Can't really row in those tiny canals so indoor is the place to go :p

You can only use polls to jump across them :p

Aurora Games 2019
Posted
Just now, heywoodu said:

Ok, not in biathlon then, but in cross-country skiing it shouldn't be a problem :p

I’m failing to see how it would be a big problem in Biathlon. The IBU is slowly killing then importance of shooting anyways.

Aurora Games 2019
Posted
Just now, dcro said:

And how would that make things more fair in reality? With the same distance, women would need more time to cover the length, meaning that more time could be gained and lost in the skiing part of biathlon. Shooting in mass start would become even more useless.

Until the level would get to that point. I also think underestimating any athletes ability to shoot well in a mass start. It’s not like the men’s races are ultra close either. The level would rise over time for the women and eventually the distance would feel normal. The “women can’t handle long distances” argument is so old, actually very untrue. Their bodies are better made for endurance than men’s are.

World Urban Games 2019
Posted

@heywoodu the Netherlands qualified two indoor rowers. Nothing says urban like green countryside and many, too many, canals.

Aurora Games 2019
Posted
Just now, heywoodu said:

I would very strongly be in favor of that, yes :p

I would as well.

Aurora Games 2019
Posted
Just now, heywoodu said:

When there are more chances, I'm sure even more girls will start participating in sports. I think the biggest battles in that regard are already behind us though, the bigger thing to change in my opinion would be to stop having special 'light' events for women (like the heptathlon instead of the decathlon). I'm sure everyone should at the very least have the chance to compete in the same discipline?

I’d say we’re still in the rough when it comes to gender equality. Laws have been changed and events have been added, but attitudes almost most of the male populations and older female populations hasn’t. That’s a serious issue. Women are still heavily discouraged from playing sports for many different reasons. 

Yes, the “light” need to be replaced with “real” ones.

Aurora Games 2019
Posted
Just now, Sindo said:

In a bigger picture, I wonder if there is one woman in the whole world who will start following sports because of gender equality. Not only gender equality is unfair, but I also feel like it's useless for their plan.

As a direct cause, probably not. However the increased attention and funding for women’s sport because of equal opportunities might give women a better chance to make it as athletes. I always encouraged my sister to measure herself against boys and girls when she was younger. She loves sports because my family made it important that she knew there was a place for her.

It also should have been equal from the start. I mean the fact humanity is thousands, if not millions, of years old and we’re struggling with gender equality is pathetic. There’s better ways to measure a person. Women’s events should have been added a long, long time ago. International federations should have been pushing for their inclusion a long time ago. Though I think the IOC has rushed the process, I’m pro-gender equality in the Olympics. I think it will be hard to change anyone over 30s mind, but I think my generation will be much more used to gender equality and hopefully accept it more.

Aurora Games 2019
Posted
28 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I wonder how many women will know this thing even exists, considering I'm pretty sure 99% of die hard sports fans have never even heard of it :p (I certainly wouldn't without this thread)

Well the event was very well attended. I saw lots of little girls with their moms. Plus, I said, there are popular athletes competing. Their social followings would know. This is also the first year of this event. If the organization can get a better broadcast deal, I think the event would have a more global audience. The event does have a wonderful message though, and it is an innovative idea for women’s sport. I think it’s in the best interest of sport in general if events like this exist.

Aurora Games 2019
Posted

Well the games have been going on all week. I watched a bit of the gymnastics tonight. Interesting festival. I think it’s good for women’s empowerment and the message the all female athletes, The all female commentators, and all female judges sends a good message for young girls. Plus, it’s been tailored as a women’s empowerment event. I wasn’t really enjoying it, but I obviously wasn’t the audience they were catering to and I’m fine with that. They did bring in some very talented and exciting athletes to support the event. They also showcased some sports and events that normally wouldn’t get national television attention here in the US. I might go back and watch a few things actually.

African Games 2019
Posted

Also, welcome the the King Mohammed VI Games :redcard::facepalm:C78809DE-B40D-4185-9623-869EDEAC3841.jpeg

African Games 2019
Posted

I do love the :NAM cycling kits though. Hopefully we see one or two in the Olympics.

AA10FB80-AD06-40F0-80B7-CF1936066E00.jpeg

African Games 2019
Posted

The mountain bike course was laughable. Good climbs, but just no features that make mountain biking itself. No rocky sections, no challenging downhills, no roots, no steep rocky hills, no jumps. Disappointing, like these games.

African Games 2019
Posted

:GAM won their third ever gold medal today! They won the men’s Beach Volleyball tournament. It’s also their 10th all-time medal. It will be interesting to see if we see them at Birmingham 2022

Posted

Alright, screw the African Games. These games have everything. Nice graphics, sustainable venues, beautiful scenery, probably more than 5 spectators, a  nice function website. I’m getting very hyped for these games.

Posted

Volunteer uniforms :wub:

AC101A01-9AE8-40DA-82D8-B8C16A154B8E.jpeg

It honestly can’t get more beach than this look (at least while looking professional).