website statistics
Winter European Youth Olympic Festival 2023
Posted
2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

It’s not everyday you see a result like that for Luxembourg in alpine skiing :d (Then again, she is already an olympian :p)

Speaking of results you don’t typically see in winter sports, Vaclavik :SVK leads after the short program in boy’s figure skating :yikes: 

cc: @hckošice :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted (edited)

Not in the medal count, but worth noting…

Gwyneth Ten Raa :LUX finished in the top 10 in the girl’s slalom. It’s not everyday you see a result like that for Luxembourg in alpine skiing :d (Then again, she is already an olympian :p)

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted
1 hour ago, hckošice said:

If :CZE Girls hockey team will win tonight against :ITA, we can have a funny unprecedented situation :d

The Girls Hockey Tournament Final will be Czech Rep. - Slovakia. Which is already an unprecedented thig.

but the funny thing is that it may be very likely the first ever sport final contested between teams coached by a married couple :d In fact :SVK team head-coach is Nikola Lucák-Čupková while the :CZE team head-coach is her husband Ján Lucák. a true war of the sexes incoming :p

@Olympian1010 you are our very own sport journalist, do you know if such thing already happened before.

I’m not sure if that’s happened at the EYOF before, but it seems like something that would have happened at other sporting events. :CZE / :SVK derby would be quite the finale though. @Dragon might be able to shed some light on rather or not spouses have coached against each other at the Olympics.

Winter World University Games 2023
Posted
On 1/15/2023 at 7:12 PM, intoronto said:

:USA defeats :GBR 21-0 in the women's hockey, which I believe is the largest defeat in women's hockey at a multi-sport event, if I am not mistaken. 

I realize this is a very delayed fact-check, but that wasn’t even close to the record. :JPN beat :HKG 46-0 at the 2017 Asian Winter Games.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Well that's a bit of good news on this Monday morning! Now the streams being on-demand, please :p 

I’m trying to find some, but I can only be so helpful :p

Edited by Olympian1010

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Also, is there any website with results or simply start lists? Official website is all nice and pleasing for the eye and the sponsors, but once again entirely void of actual information.

Should be listed here under “reports” (toggle for the sport you want): https://eyof2023.microplustimingservices.com/#/general-reports

25 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

And before that, I believe they used the xxx.sportresult.com system, which every single multi-sport event ever should use :p (or the MicroPlus system like the Universiade, that one worked like a charm as well)

To be fair though, if FIS and IBU have the live timing running in their usual way, that is absolutely a million times better than any multi-sports event can ever have, few things around multi-sport events are more annoying than spending the first days getting used to the results system when the IF has a perfectly fine one already :p 

If MicroPlus improved their data reliability (ie. live timing operating correctly, with all relevant documents posted [sometimes they just straight fail to post a few random ones, which is annoying]) their new system [used for Oran 2022, Commonwealth Games 2022, Lake Placid 2023, and now here) would be on par with SwissTiming’s classic sportresult system in my opinion. It offers the information I want (when it works properly) and it has a clean UI that can be customized to fit the look of the games nicely.

Bornan’s current results system has some promise too [2019 World Beach Games and 2022 GCC Games for reference), especially since it’s easily integrated into moblie apps. However, they too need to improve their data reliability a little bit. Their system (especially documents) can be a bit heavy too.

22 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

The streams can only be seen live, by the way? :yikes: 

Trying to click on that website but nothing works, like a simple on-demand view isn't possible..

Yeah, it was like that during the two EYOFs last year too. EOC probably has the worst OTT streaming service of the bunch at the moment :(

Posted
20 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Apparently :ALB Lara Colturi will compete at the eyof. That's quite surprising 

:ALB NOC had an Instagram story showing their preparations, and there were posters of her all over the place inside their headquarters.

Safe to say there’s at least one nation invested in her success :p

:KOR sweeping both 1500m events in short track was quite something. I wanted Akar :TUR, Kruzbergs :LAT, Seidel :GER, or Stoddard :USA on the podium. Alas, the Koreans were just too dominant.

Just caught a replay of the snowboard slopestyle final…

It was…uh…something. I think there might have been some snowboarding mixed-in with my fear that someone was going to seriously injure themselves given how slow the course was running 😅

I missed the last few days of these Games due to a poorly timed vacation, but excited to catch up :cheer:

I don’t think I said it earlier, but the branding for this event is a thing of beauty. One of my favorite “design of the Games.”

33 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Very cool that the speed skating is taking place on the outdoor track, I’m guessing the Eric Heiden 1980 one.

Yep! This location was also used for the 1932 Winter Olympics as well (the only time speed skating was contested in a pack format instead of a time trial.)

Posted (edited)

ESPN’s coverage is borderline unwatchable. They cut to commercial at least five times during the women’s Super G, and then didn’t show the missed runs :facepalm:

Keep in mind, you need a paid subscription to even watch the majority of events, and then they still do this. :facepalm::facepalm:

Edited by Olympian1010

10 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

If we miss a event we have to wait until the end for the replay?

They seem to be a little slow adding replays to the website. I see some in there for ice hockey, but that’s it for the moment.

11 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Wow, spectacular triple wipe out in SF1 hands a Steven Blackburn-style free gift to Martinez.

Not sure who that is…but Steven Bradbury would be proud of Martinez’s finish :p

Posted (edited)

:USA with a rare cross country medal at the Universiade :d

:JPN team looked strong in both legs. This might not be their last gold medal of the Games. It is the first though :thumbup:

Edited by Olympian1010

47 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

What’s funny is that the Norwegian teams here seems just to be made up of random everyday people who happen to be studying Accountancy or Engineering or whatever in the USA, not trained athletes at all.

:NOR not happy about your criticism. They make an early play for the gold in the final :p

Soft snow really catching these riders out this morning. It looks like it might be raining, rather than snowing, at Gore Mountain.

Apline Skiing has been postponed this morning, so cross country skiing will indeed be giving out the first medal in a short while.