website statistics
9 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Ya, this definitively felt like an event not quite ready for primetime.

I do think monobob (for men and women, actually) would make a lot of sense as a way to protect the ability of countries with smaller bobsleigh programs to compete at the Olympics when the IOC inevitably forced the IBSF to reduce the number of men's quotas.

Give them the four-women event or eliminate the second Women's event. I think monobob what used to be a training sled for youth athletes is a disgrace for bobsleigh in general and specifically for the female athletes. (I know an elimination won't happen..)

vor 3 Minuten schrieb dcro:

Because they didn't deserve to be tied any more than athletes that were as (or even more) inseparable at the end of their competitions, but had to separated nevertheless because of stricter rules.

Luge has been using thousands of a second since the "ancient" times. No reason why bobsleigh/skeleton couldn't do the same.

Yeah that's the federation's fault, not the athlete's fault. For that reason, I don't get it why not to be happy for both Kripps and Friedrich.

Btw luge is using thousands of seconds since the 70's as a reaction to a tie ;) But since we had lots of ties in bobsleigh during the last decades (f.e. 1998 olympics), I don't think that rules are changed. Same btw in Apline Skiing (although it's a little less likely to have a tie for gold here, but still possible)

vor 3 Minuten schrieb De_Gambassi:

The chauvinist nature of the olympics IS the only reason why the Olympics are still a thing. Whithout it, there will be nothing on your screens, an no "nice" people for you guys to cheer for.

Cheering for someone because he shares the same nationality than you is no less idiotic than cheering for someone because he sounds nice on ITW or because your like his haircut. 

Well, personally I think it's more important to be a nice human being than having a special haircut or passport, but everyone should think what he/she wants. :)

But my point was the medal ranking and the striving to be at athe top of it.

Gerade eben schrieb dcro:

That's all nice and swell, but this is the biggest sports competition. There is supposed to be only one that is the best.

Shared golds are just an easy way out. Not to mention incredibly unfair to 98% of sports where ties are impossible (or at least less likely).

True, but why bothering here? It's nobody's fault. Always possible if the winner is determined by the best time. You can change the rules, of course, but as it won't happen in bobsleigh, I don't see why not to be happy for both winners.

vor 1 Minute schrieb thepharoah:

I don't see caring about topping medals table is some sort of nationalism , everyone wants his/her country to be the best , it's something innate in human being ofc  by fair play , IMO it's normal thing as long as u do respect others 

This is exactly the definition of nationalism ;)

Why should I want Germany to be at the top of the ranking? It's cool if they win medals (of course, if they are nice people and deserve). But if another country wins more - does it make the won medals worthless? I would prefer for example 10 golds and be 2nd in the ranking over 9 golds and be on the top of the medal ranking. I wouldn't understand any other reasoning. Russia could not stand not to be at the top - for that reason they established a state-sponsored doping system and ruined the entire 2014 olympics and THESE medals are worthless at all.

vor 1 Minute schrieb thepharoah:

Yes , my words specifically for Canadian members here who're upset to share the gold , not sure about Germans but I think they should be the happier side now as this gold was very crucial for them to keep fighting for 1st place , so overall it should be a happy end for many fans around the world , especially of those who don't care much about bobsleigh and like to see those moments happen in Olympics

I'm happy for the tied gold - but it's not about the damn medal ranking, it's about the athletes who deserve the gold after dominating the last couple of years. Nice to see the gold shared with Kripps - he deserves that too. The medal ranking is just a source for generating nationalism and what it's worth can be seen by the first ranked nation in 2014. Our Chef the mission said that he prefers a fair play medal over the first place in the medal ranking.