website statistics

Italy and Cuba are currently tied in wins, points and set ratio.

If Italy beats Brazil, Cuba can grab the quota if they beat Iran with a better score (eg. ITA wins 3-1, CUB needs to win 3-0).  

If they win by the same score, Italy will probably qualify because their points ratio is much better.

If Brazil wins none of the above matters and Brazil qualifies.

I'll put it very simply:  

The loser of Brazil v Italy, Argentina and Slovenia are 99,99% qualified by ranking. 

Then other place for Egypt or Tunisia.  

And the final place is going to be for Serbia (most likely) or Cuba/Canada/Netherlands/Iran (low chance).

13 minutes ago, FireRun said:

Rankings come into play after June 2024. A lot of games until then (whole nations league). There's only 5 open spots. 1 will go to Africa, 1 will go to Italy/Brazil as they are far too ahead in the rankings, which leaves only 3 empty spots. If they allow Russia back that will likely take one more spot as their ranking is frozen. I dunno if Oceania gets 1 spot, but they could take one as well. Which leaves only 1 empty spot and considering how tight rankings are around us, I don't see us taking it. 

There's no Oceania in volley. Slovenia has an enormous difference over Serbia who are next in ranking. Only a shockingly terrible VNL performance would prevent them from qualifying.

31 minutes ago, hoversaBR said:

An important result, because if these two teams do not qualify in the Olympic qualifiers, they will be competing for a quota in World rankings. 

Not really IMO, to put it very simply: any team inside the top 10 of ranking is almost certain to qualify for Paris. I don't see Argentina or Brazil dropping below those places by June next year. 

Edited by LDOG

1 hour ago, Makedonas said:

Well we lost 0-3 but we did quite well. We lost the first set 24-26, second set wasn't so close (16-25), and then in the third set we really battled (without Anthouli for most of it) but lost 26-28 after having two set points.

It was nice to see some other girls step up today and I am really optimistic about the future of this team. Let's not forget (how can we when I keep mentioning it :d) that we were at this tournament without arguably our best player Vasilantonaki.

Also I am proud of our team for fighting and being authentic, unlike the United Nations All-Star team of Azerbaijan which we faced yesterday, or Turkey today with the Cuban mercenary Vargas as their best player...I would rather lose this way than win with fake naturalized players, and I know I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Lastly the live comments feed on European Volleyball today was absolutely disgusting, these things should be monitored, it was even worse than the FIBA ones. The amount of Turks making "swimming" jokes about how their ancestors killed Greeks in the sea 100 years ago was extremely disgusting, and quite shocking to be honest that so many people still think this way in 2023...

I believe the player you mention is into some dispute with the federation? In principle it won't be easy to bring her back. 

1 hour ago, Makedonas said:

Decent results in recent friendlies, for example we played 4 sets vs Bulgaria just a couple weeks ago and won all four of them (whereas they beat us 3-0 at the European Championships in both 2019 and 2021). In general our team seems to have improved over the past few years, mainly due to our teenage star Martha Anthouli (2.02 cm) leading the way now.

Yes but Bulgaria beat them back and also lost to Ukraine twice. And from there there's a jump in level to Germany. 

I think just getting out of this group is good enough for Greece. It's clearly the toughest one as well with no obvious weak team.

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

Personally, I would've given the MVP to Sliwka, but Zatorski played exceptionally as well, could've seen it go to either one of them. 

He was like the 3rd best libero of these finals, MVP is a complete joke.

5 minutes ago, CCB said:

:mumble: I couldn't have been more wrong. 3-0 for Germany, for me a surprising win.

It's not surprising to me, Cuba is a complete disaster in reception and setting. Any average team like Germany can beat them just by playing tidy.  

I see Cuba like Bulgaria, they have these big talents in attack but there's nothing they can do with them because they barely get good balls to attack in first place.