Forwards:

Andreas Cornelius, FC Copenhagen
Andreas Skov Olsen, Club Brugge
Kasper Dolberg, Sevilla
Martin Braithwaite, Espanyol
Jonas Wind, Wolfsburg
Jesper Lindstrøm, Frankfurt
Mikkel Damsgaard, Brentford

21 of 26 players have been selected. Still unknown when the names of the 5 last players in squad will be announced. 

Edited by Wumo

Football European Super League
Posted
32 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Liverpool are almost certainly one of them. The rumour is that 95% of their supporters are against the idea.

According to the Guardian, the two supposed clubs are Chelsea and Man. City:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/apr/20/chelsea-and-manchester-city-have-super-league-doubts-says-executive

As a long-time Liverpool fan I wish they hadn't engaged in this project, but I also know the owners are American and they are mostly familiar with the franchise-based closed-league structure, so it doesn't come as a surprise they want this system/league. Just like the owners of Man. Utd and Arsenal.

A new format has been approved with the final tournament being split over two periods, with the original venues of Hungary and Slovenia still hosting both parts of the final tournament.

The qualification competition that is currently underway will finish in September, October and November 2020. The nine group-winners and the five best runners-up will be joined by hosts Hungary and Slovenia for a group stage of four groups of four from 24 to 31 March 2021, with groups hosted by Hungary and by Slovenia.

The four group-winners and the four runners-up will then qualify for the final tournament which will be played as a straight knock-out final eight (quarter-finals and semi-finals in Hungary and Slovenia and the final in Ljubljana) from 31 May to 6 June 2021.

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/news/newsid=2642232.html

Football 2020 Discussion Thread
Posted

Main points regarding the CL and EL 2020/21-season from today's meeting in UEFA Executive Committee:

In order to achieve the necessary separation with the final phase of the 2019/20 season and avoid impact on the access list and on clubs potentially involved in both competition phases, the qualifying rounds of the two competitions will be played in single legs (instead of home and away), with the only exception of the UEFA Champions League Play-offs which will remain over two legs. The draw will determine which club will play the single leg in their stadium.

The new calendar of the qualifying phase and group stage 2020/21 is as follows:

UEFA Champions League 2020/21

Preliminary round: 8 and 11 August

First qualifying round: 18/19 August

Second qualifying round: 25/26 August

Third qualifying round: 15/16 September

Play-offs: 22/23 and 29/30 September

Group stage: 20/21 and 27/28 October, 3/4 and 24/25 November, 1/2 and 8/9 December

UEFA Europa League 2020/21

Preliminary round: 20 August

First qualifying round: 27 August

Second qualifying round: 17 September

Third qualifying round: 24 September

Play-offs: 1 October

Group stage: 22 and 29 October, 5 and 26 November, 3 and 10 December

There are no changes to the dates of the subsequent rounds.

The group stage draws for the 2020/21 UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League will take place in Athens at the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Centre on 1 and 2 October 2020 respectively.

Main points regarding EL 2019/20 from today's meeting in UEFA Executive Committee:

• Quarter-finals, semi-finals and the final will be played as a final eight straight knock-out tournament in Cologne, Duisburg, Düsseldorf and Gelsenkirchen between 10 and 21 August.
  • The Round of 16 matches will be played on 05/06 August with kick-off times of 18.55CET and 21.00CET. A decision will be made in due course on whether the Round of 16 matches for which the first leg has already been played will be staged at the home team’s venue or in Germany.
  • The matches FC Internazionale Milano v Getafe CF and Sevilla FC v AS Roma, whose first leg was also postponed, will be played as a single leg at a venue to be confirmed.
  • All subsequent matches in the competition will be played as a final eight tournament, with quarter-finals on 10/11 August, semi-finals on 16/17 August and the final in Cologne on 21 August, all kicking-off at 21:00CET.
  • The draws for the 2019/20 UEFA Europa League quarter-finals and semi-finals will take place on 10 July 2020 at UEFA’s headquarters in Nyon and the exact match schedule will be communicated following such draw.
  • Gdańsk, which was originally appointed to stage the 2020 final will now host the 2021 UEFA Europa League Final, whereas the venues for subsequent finals have all agreed to host these a year later than originally planned, with Sevilla in 2022 and Budapest in 2023.

Main points regarding CL 2019/20 from today's meeting in UEFA Executive Committee:

• Quarter-finals, semi-finals and the final will be played as a final eight straight knock-out tournament at the Estádio do Sport Lisboa e Benfica and the Estádio José Alvalade in Lisbon between 12 and 23 August 2020.
  • The remaining Round of 16 second-leg matches will be played on the 7/8 August, pending a decision on whether they will take place at the home team’s stadiums or in Portugal.
  • The Estádio do Dragão in Porto and the Estádio Dom Afonso Henriques in Guimarães will be added to Lisbon venues for the Round of 16, if necessary.
  • Quarter-finals will take place on 12/13/14/15 August, semi-finals on 18/19 August and the final at the Estádio do Sport Lisboa e Benfica on 23 August.
  • All remaining matches of the 2019/20 UEFA Champions League will kick-off at 21:00CET.
  • The draws for the 2019/20 UEFA Champions League quarter-finals and semi-finals will take place on 10 July 2020 at UEFA’s headquarters in Nyon and the exact match schedule will be communicated following such draw.
  • All quarter-final and semi-final matches will go to extra-time and penalty kicks in case of a draw at the end of the regular playing time. The same regulatory change will likewise apply to matches in the other competitions for which the same decision has been taken.
  • Istanbul, which was originally appointed to stage the 2020 final will now host the 2021 UEFA Champions League Final, whereas the venues for subsequent finals have all agreed to host these a year later than originally planned, with St-Petersburg in 2022, Munich in 2023 and London (Wembley) in 2024.

New dates for Women’s Olympic Football Tournament Tokyo 2020 Asian Qualifiers Play-off matches between :CHN China and :KOR South Korea, February 19 and 24, 2021. 

https://www.the-afc.com/competitions/olympic-games/latest/news/dates-for-women-s-olympic-asian-qualifiers-play-off-final-confirmed

Posted

UEFA may consider to exclude clubs from leagues, who choose to end their season prematurely (as of now), from participating in UEFA's club competitions next season. 

Spoiler

Billede

Billede

Posted
4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

What on earth would the motivation be for only crowning B.93 champion?

I have no clue to be honest. The only reason could be that B.93 had a much better goal difference, but as written above, this was not something you considered back then in the league. Also, I can't really get my head around the fact that a club comes with such a request 92 years after it was decided for the sole purpose of getting a second small gold start over their logo! If they was the only club who wanted to play the rematches then I could somewhat understand some of their argumentation. But the fact they rejected a rematch, I don't really see how B.93 could be crowned as the only champion. 

I think their main reason for bringing this up again is with the hope that DBU will change their decision so all three clubs will be crowned as champions, so they can get that second little star. 

Posted (edited)

As football is put on standby during the coronavirus pandemic, "interesting/strange" stories can at times pop up. 

Okay here is one from Danish football:

Today, a Danish newspaper could tell that the football club, B.93, has sent a request to DBU (Danish Football Association) to be officially crowned as the Danish Champion of the 1927/1928 season. At the time there was no winner, as B.93, B1903 and BK Frem all finished at the same amount of points after the playoffs. The three teams each got 6 points, and when rematches couldn't be held, DBU decided not to crown a Danish champion.

B.93's decision to sent a request to DBU is based on the fact that the club wants its second star on its jerseys. The traditional club has won the Danish Championship nine times. The rules prescribe that a Danish club may have one star on its club jersey for every five championships. Thus B.93 needs a tenth championship to be able to get its second star.

In the letter the club has sent to DBU, they write the following:

"Our proud club, which is one of the largest in Denmark, has won the official Danish championship nine times. Last one in 1946. Such an achievement gives us the right to have a star over our logo. Since 1928, however, there has been a debate as to whether B.93 was 'cheated' for a tenth championship in the 1927/1928 season.

B.93, B1903 and BK Frem all finished, as mentioned before, with six points each after four games. Back then, according to rules, rematches had to be played to determine the champion. However, the matches were never held. Therefore, in their letter, B.93 has proposed three solutions: 1. That B.93 is crowned as the champion. 2. That all three teams are crowned as champions. 3. That the current decision stands by its power.

At the time, DBU decided that two out of the three clubs should say yes before rematches could be played. However, there was only one club that voted yes. And it wasn't actually B.93 that voted yes. It was B1903. B.93 was invited to Norway to play some matches which is why they did not think rematches could be played. 

The Chairman of B1903, Benny Olsen, has said about this case;

"We were actually the only club that wanted to play. It was the other two clubs who did not want to

And he is not at all in favor of taking the decision made by the DBU in 1928. The rules were, as they were then. And my position is that you should not change that. DBU handled it according to the rules at that time. It may seems as some foolish rules, but you can't come 92 years later and say that the decision wasn't correct or fair. Also, you can't have three champions for the same season. But it is DBU's decision if they change it, and I will accept it. I will fully respect it of course". He states that things were not decided at the time by goal difference. If that was the case, B.93 would have been the clear champion as they finished with a goal score of plus 14, whereas BK Frem and B1903 only had a plus 8 goal difference.

BK Frem does understand B.93's in some way. However, they do not agree with B1903 that a championship can't be shared by all three clubs.

"I can live with awarding B.93 their tenth championship, so they can get one more star. But it can't only be one of the clubs which are awarded the championship. So either it is all three, or you have to stand by the original decision", says Per Jakobsen, chairman of BK Frem. 

DBU will now decide if B.93, all three clubs or none of the them will win another trophy.

The Deputy Director of DBU, Kenneth Reeh, has confirmed that he will make a recommendation which will be sent to DBU's Honorary department/group.

They must look at the matter before it is settled by the board of directors of DBU. However in the group, sits a man who, in his own words, is unfit to take a decison in this case, as the chairman of B1903, Benny Olsen, is member of the group.

Edited by Wumo

8 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Any info about the Play-Offs being postponed or something ?

"The UEFA EURO 2020 play-off matches and international friendlies, scheduled for the end of March, will now be played in the international window at the start of June, subject to a review of the situation".

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/newsid=2641071.html

Just now, hckosice said:

and here we go fights and stupid nationalistic provocations problems in the stands... Unbelievable "mistake" from the Hungarian organizers to put in the same visitors sector Slovak fans and "slovaks" of Hungarian minorities around Dunajská Streda obviously supporting Hungary...so suddenly the local police had to make a corridor to divide the visitors sector in two half, on the one side SVK fans and on the other SVK citizens of Hungarian minority :facepalm:

This is sad... My friend is probably shaking her head at the moment. She is Slovakian-Hungarian and she often tells me how annoyed and frustrated she is about situations like these. She wishes people like those tonight at the stadium would at least act like decent people and show some respect to each other no matter what ethnicity they are. 

Football 2019 Discussion Thread
Posted

The FIFA Council has unanimously agreed to expand the number of teams taking part in the Women’s World Cup from 24 to 32, with effect as of the next edition of the tournament in 2023.

https://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/news/fifa-council-unanimously-approves-the-expansion-of-the-fifa-women-s-world-cup-to

7 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Now, I'm not a native German speaker, but as far as I understand the phonetics, most are pretty wrong :p Löwen being pronounced 'Lerv-un' for example, I've never heard any sort of 'r' sound in a word like 'Löwen', unless this specific name is an exception :d 

Also, Nübel pronounced as 'Nooble' sounds to me like it would have been accurate if it was Nubel instead of Nübel. Then again, I can't really recall an English word with the correct sound for the ü. Also, I might just be entirely wrong, since once again, I'm not a native speaker.

There is no ü-sound in English. So you can't find an English word with that vowel sound. 

https://painfulenglish.com/2013/05/02/there-is-no-u-sound-in-the-english-language/

Edited by wumo26

A little guide how to pronounce the names of some of the players. :p

https://www.uefa.com/under21/news/newsid=2609842.html?rss=2609842+Under-21+EURO:+how+to+pronounce+the+players

I would like to know if this guide is somewhat accurate and I would especially like to hear from the Polish users if they are okay accurate about some of the Polish players?

Edited by wumo26

1 minute ago, mrv86 said:

Well it's a miracle Erling Håland kept both legs after the match... Honduran players are the dirtiest in CONCACAF.

Total humiliation for this U-20 squad, probably the biggest win in the history of this competition

Yep, it was the biggest victory in the U-20 World Cup. The former record was Brazil's 10-0 victory against Belgium in 1997. 

Football 2019 Discussion Thread
Posted (edited)

Juventus has announced they have decided not to play this year's International Champions Cup in USA this summer. Some medias report the reason for this decision is because of the ongoing rape allegations against Cristiano Ronaldo in USA. Juventus says it's reasonable to go east after spending some years in USA during the Summer. 

Edited by wumo26