website statistics

Everybody is talking about the LA28 sports program, meanwhile, my reporting is streets ahead :p

https://www.infobae.com/aroundtherings/articles/2022/08/10/lifesaving-eyeing-olympic-debut-in-brisbane-2032/

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Summer Olympic Games 2032 Bid Process
Posted
10 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Why do you feel the need to make absurd statements like that?

b) How can you judge which countries would have handed in „legitimate“ bids, when those countries weren’t even given the chance to hand in a bid?

I guess it wasn’t clear that I was referring to 2032, apologies.

Well, I’ve read what’s been reported about the possible bids. I’m near certain that all those countries had the opportunity to engage in dialogue with the IOC. I’m not saying that the possibility of a better bid taking shaped isn’t possible; I’m just saying that from what I’ve seen, Brisbane’s bid is best one at the moment.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted
3 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Do you really think that Australia should host summer Olympics twice during that period while all the aforementioned countries didn’t even host them once combined?

Should they? Perhaps not. Are they the only country of those mentioned that has shown in interest in bidding, and provided a legitimate/realistic (relative) bid? Yes.

Posted
11 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I was referring to political relevance/population size.

6th in size by area, 13th in GDP, 55th in population. Brisbane also hosted the World Expo in 1988.

I think calling them irrelevant is quite harsh. I do agree that other countries should be given a fair chance to mount a bid for 2032, but there hasn’t really been a better bid floated.

Posted

I like how the bidding reforms that were meant to make the process more “transparent” and trustworthy, have resulted in this.

23 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

In the new capital site plan, there is only a plot of land for one stadium and two indoor arenas :coffee:

Let them be with their bullshittery

Not that I’m in favor of an Indonesian bid, but Palembang could host some stuff right?

Posted
32 minutes ago, hckosice said:

I just hope as opposed to 1996 the locals will be instructed this time that Georgian athletes were not a specially added team composed from athletes around Atlanta, but it's a separate country outside the US. :p

LA is quite a bit more educated than Georgia :yes

Posted
18 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

It won't happen till 2024 at least ;) Even longer if the ruling coalition wins again.

Where should I move? Singapore? Taiwan? Or back to my ancestors in Fujian? Time will tell

As long as you don’t chew gum or feel a huge need for free speech, Singapore is a nice option :p

Honestly, I’d go for one of the Oceanic nations. 

Posted
18 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

Yeah venues can be built and athletes can be trained.

But talking about open-mindedness, I think it is very difficult. People here are getting more and more conservative. They are not ready. I might sound super pessimistic but it is the current reality.

It’s not an isolated trend. We’ve seen a move of both people to the far-right and far-left. I think it’s a direct consequence of social media and mass communication personally, but it’s a major issue. My generation will be the furthest left the United States has ever seen. My father’s generation may end up being one of the furthest right in US history.

What will you do Indonesia becomes some crazy Islamic state? I’m assuming you don’t really have a backup option? The trend of developing countries turning away from democracy and tolerance is quite worrying.

Posted
25 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

No need Aceh actually, give them a few pictures from "daerah kumuh" in Jakarta and they can make a whole story like Rio 2016 with the favela residents

That's why I support all bids except the one from my own country :evil:

Sometimes I feel like everyone supports all the bids not from their country. I of course was over-the-moon when LA was confirmed as host for 2028. LA games are famous for being sustainable, so 2028 should be great :thumbup:

Posted
23 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

running and then ruining again...

Yes, that would be a concern. I feel as though the Balkans are a bit more stable nowadays (which I’m sure isn’t true, but I haven’t heard much about the region as of late), but I bet it won’t stay that way.

At least the Bosnians, and some other teams have been able to use the track for summer training. The FIL even sent someone to record the training for Instagram this year (athletes didn’t seem to mind the condition of the track).

Posted
1 hour ago, Jur said:

I just think Madrid is ugly and a non-interesting city to host the Summer Olympics.

Yeah my godparents went on a trip to Spain 2/3 years ago. They weren’t impressed by much of country outside of Catalonia. They got the impression that Spain was quite poor.

Posted
1 hour ago, Jur said:

So what kind of Olympics are those if each sport is in one diferent country?

Spain should stop all those Olympic ambitions and settle for something smaller and more realistic, like European Games or Youth Olympics.

I’d love a Euro Games in Barcelona:wub:

Posted
1 hour ago, hckosice said:

well.. then sorry but I hope Sapporo will win it, because this is one really bad idea

It would be nice to so the Sarajevo track up and running again though. The Bosnian government as wanted to rebuild it for ages, but they just don’t have the funds.

Posted

@Griff88 I do hope Indonesia is really prepared to host the games should they somehow win this bid. Western media will rip your poor country apart, especially once more people find out about places like Aceh. 

Posted
23 minutes ago, Cobi said:

It is not official yet, but it seems that Madrid will NOT bid for the 2032 Olympics, as many politicians and the Spanish NOC president think that it isn't the right moment due to the existence of very strong competition. However, Madrid's major said today that he is not giving up, but the citizens do not want to lose again, so probably the candidature will be postponed.

Right now Spain is studying now bidding for the 2030 Winter Olympics in Barcelona. The Spanish government has made an offer to the Catalan government to work together on the project.

There are, in fact, actively entered into the bidding process for 2030 according to the IOC.

Posted
29 minutes ago, rajiv said:

And just like le Pen she speaks what many people think but are reluctant to say too loudly

Not the people here of course who all seem to be of the globalist left 

Did I hear someone mention me?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

https://www.trouw.nl/sport/den-haag-is-voorzichtig-positief-over-plan-om-spelen-naar-nederland-te-halen~b38747d9/?referer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

There was some national media attention for a potential Dutch 2032 bid last weekend. Two ex-athletes (former Olympic field hockey player and rower) are leading a coalition of athletes, business and other influentials to formulate the bid. Who exactly is involved remained anonymous.

The title of this article is "The Hague  is carefully positive about plan to bring the Games to the Netherlands". The Hague is the home of our national government. So far I don't see enough political support for this initiative, but at least 'carefully positive' is something!

The financial side has gone completely unmentioned in the articles I saw so far.

I’d guess Rotterdam since they showed interest in the European Games a while back.

Posted

I believe this the same woman who once wore a Burka in Parliament “to show how dangerous they are”. @KingOfTheRhinos would probably know better than me. All I know is that she’s essentially the “LePen” of Australia.

Posted
Just now, Cobi said:

One of the main projects of the new mayor of Madrid is to bid for 2032 Olympics, but after the 3 deceptions in a row, most of the people here is against that idea.

Furthermore, Barcelona is studying to bid for 2030 Winter Olympics, but I'm not sure if the canfidature will be presented due to political differences. Furthermore, if Barcelona bids for 2030, it would not make sense for Madrid to apply for 2032.

Well Salt Lake is applying for 2030 so...

Fun Fact: LA would have realistically hosted both the 1932 Summer and Winter Olympics if the mountains around a 20 minute drive from my house had enough snow that year. We actually had the largest ski jumping hill back then. That mountain range has had very good winters as of late. It would be fun to see LA host the Winter Olympics. We have the money, and most of the venues.

Posted
45 minutes ago, intoronto said:

That's if anyone bids for 2030 lol. Though I'd imagine Sapporo or the USA will get it. 

Salt Lake is the odds on favorite.