website statistics
Olympic sports program review
Posted · Deleted by Sindo on 08/15/2024 - will be permanently removed on 08/15/2026
Deleted by Sindo on 08/15/2024 - will be permanently removed on 08/15/2026
1 hour ago, OlympicIRL said:

Never mind table tennis, we should remove men’s pole vault due to lack of competition. Who’s with me? :d

Why does everyone from Ireland have such a low iq? Your antisemitism is rotting your brain.   

Let me spell it out for you slowly so even you can understand it...... sports that had same winners for 30 years, and overall are a very low interest low rating sports need to go....    pole vault is part of the track program and only had same winners for 3 years.....  

Posted
7 hours ago, NearPup said:

You know America is, like, allowed to compete in diving and in table tennis, right?

The US was in fact the dominant country in Olympic diving for a reeeeeeealy long time. The US lead the all time Diving medal count until these past Olympics, took China that long to overtake y'all. China could have just complained that the Olympics contained too many American-dominates sports like diving, instead of getting really good at said sport.

(Also, I say y'all, but I'm American too so... oh well)

That's all true.   And it's too bad that they so majorly divested from this sport.   I'm guessing one of the reasons is seeing one country domination doesn't really bring a lot of interest in the sport.   So maybe if they keep it they should limit the overall amount of athletes per noc just like in weightlifting.    

Posted
8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Genuine question, since you normally seem to be posting along quite normally in regular sports threads: are you perhaps on something? I mean, almost sounding like seeing the US as a victim in the world of sports, that's.....special, to say it mildly.

As I think almost every non-American would also like to know: Catelyn who, by the way?

Catelyn Clark, look her up.

On Something? no, i'm straight edge, though a bit sleep deprived from having a newborn, but other then that just sick and tired watching china get even close to us in the medal stand, because of cheating in swimming, and getting golds without competition, i don't know if i'm more excited in 2028 to cheer for USA or boo china out of the building tbh.

Posted
1 minute ago, Mkbw50 said:

Yes but I'm biased because I like baseball

Baseball shouldn't have a space unless they can get a commitment from MLB that they will allow the best to participate, it will be interesting to see what they will do in LA28, however i wouldn't bet on it because they have the WBC. Outside of it not too many people will turn out to watch some minor leaguers play, Ohtani vs USA in dodger stadium..... now that would be something amazing, hopefully it will happen

Posted
6 minutes ago, Erigert said:

Following this logic, an existing sport should be worried to be removed from the Olympics in case a single country wins all the events in that sport.

And I dont know why you only mention diving and TT, when in this last olympics there have been other sports totally dominated from a single country:

-Archery (South Korea)

-Basketball (USA)

-Field Hockey (Netherlands)

Should we remove these sports aswell or considering China is not dominating them everything is OK?

yes, if one country would end up dominating those sports and they will be as unpopular as diving and table tennis then sure, throw them away as well. There is a case to be made for archery, in Field hockey you had different before the current cycle netherlands only won one of 4 medals, so doesn't count. And sure you can throw away basketball, NBA is the big prize anyway,  too bad that it's the most expensive ticket around, and people care much more about watch Lebron James, Steph, Jokic, Doncic and Giannis then some commie diving (and probably getting overscored, but who knows)

Posted · Deleted by Sindo on 08/15/2024 - will be permanently removed on 08/15/2026
2 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

Have you ever been to Ireland?

The country that supports terrorism, and recognizes countries that don't exist? na i rather not visit a place that thinks that narnia is a real place

39 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Them's some wild wee mice running around your head, child. I'd see someone about that.

bro, i would go personal, but seeing as your picture, your lack of iq, and the shit hole you live in, it's too easy, but hey you can always strive for better, nothing you can do about how ugly you are, but you know, i'm sure you can find a chinese weightlifter that would love you, she's not much to look at, but you can't do better anyway

56 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

I see when I considered you a jingoistic idiot, I severely underestimated you. You're a world class jingoistic idiot.

awww, someone is upset he lives in a radical liberal hell hole like Ireland where at any moment you might get murdered by an Islamic extremist and the only good thing that ever came out of your after thought antisemitic shit hole is Connor McGregor who ran away as soon as possible, while you wish you can live in the best country in the world, but we don't really need you

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

The US women have not a lost a single Olympic basketball match in 61 Games. 

Not a tournament, not a group. A single MATCH since 1992 when the pros arrived.

.In that time, China have lost 12 diving events.

Why don't you smell what you're shovellin'?

Well also add that everyone watches basketball, it's one of the most popular sports in the Olympics, you see the popularity that catelyn clark gathering.  And that's before she even joined the olympic team.   In 2028 she will bring huge rating.   While no one gives 2 shits about some commies jumping into water and the only reason this joke of a sport staying while breaking is leaving is that the IOC don't want to piss off their real leaders.  The ccp.   Same reason they allowed the swimmers to dope as much as they want without repercussions 

Edited by AmericanHero40

Posted
35 minutes ago, Roamingrover86 said:

Table Tennis is getting much more competitive. Sweden & France had a great Olympics. There is always Japan Korea & Germany. China may have won all 5 golds but the sport is getting more competitive especially for the minor medals. Soon like with Badminton, TT will become a lot more competitive & will see a number of countries competing for medals. 

Since 2008...

Women- 5 gold, 5 silver

Men - 5 gold, 4 silver 

Women team - 5 gold

Men team- 5 gold

Where is the competition? Anything? Buller?

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, MatiReimundo said:

and this olympics they shouldnt won all 8, they clearly lost the synchro against Mexico

So what you're saying is that there is a bias for the commies.  And against anyone who is against the dopers 

Edited by AmericanHero40

Posted
6 minutes ago, Josh said:

Well as for diving, Rousseau, the World Champion last year, he’s from Australia. Not to mention that this is the first time in Olympic HISTORY that China has swept the golds. :d

yea i'm aware that they lose one by fluke usually, but how many do they win by more then 20? they also lost a fluke mixed table tennis in tokyo, it's an outlier

Posted
10 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

It's not about 'math' it's about predictability - the men's basketball is every bit as uncompetitive as the synchro diving. Your issue seems not to be with predictable medals but predictable Chinese medals - predictable US ones are A-ok with you.

Screw that, it's just jingoism.

they literally almost lost to Serbia! last time they lost to France, the world caught up to the American's, the best players are in the NBA are now from Greece, Serbia and Slovenia, claiming that the men's basketball is just ignorance 

Posted
1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

A whopping 2.07 points on a total of well over 400.

No more women's basketball then, I fear, considering even with a fluke in the final the dominant team won with an average margin of well in the double digits.

Not defending diving or table tennis here, by the way, just saying it's certainly not less competitive than Olympic basketball. Talking about not competitive: we can certainly let go of the women's 4x400m :d 

i'm not talking about specific events, but a sport as a whole, and yes there was one (1!!!) event where it was close in diving, what about the other 7? what about the others since 2000? they had 46 golds out of 56 (over 80%!!!) wanna check how many of those were won in under 10 points?

Posted
10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

But obviously the principle is the same, a decision like that should not simply be because 'country A gets too many medals' if in a sport with 2 medals another country is just as dominant.

Yes, it should, it's not that there are too many medals, it's that there is no competition, What was the closest result in diving? what about Table Tennis? yea i know there was a fluke with the swede, but the other guy won easily, and their teams and mixed teams won easily as well, it's not about the amount of medals, it's the lack of competition

Posted
5 minutes ago, Siddhartha Talukdar said:

Then can we remove Basketball as USA is dominant 

Two medals in Basketball (and even then, the women won by one point, and the men almost lost to Serbia). versus 8 in diving and 5 in table tennis that are always gonna go to China, there is no math here.

Posted

Remove sports that are dominated by one country, namely Diving and Table Tennis, if China wins all the medals then what is the point of competition (Badminton used to be part of it, but looks much more equal now in the past 3 cycles), Also remove Boxing which they are doing anyway, and Weightlifting, it's not really a competition, at this point it's who dopes the most, and we know China wins the doping contest hands down since Russia is banned. 

I would add a team golf competition, something like the ryder cup

15 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Since the next Olympics are in 2028, and of course by now the program is entirely finalized I assume (since athletes start their new Olympic cycle immediately): is there a clear list of events that were in Paris and won't be in LA, and events that weren't in Paris and will be in LA?

I think each federation needs to decide it.   Besides boxing and breaking going bye bye

• Latest Posts around Totallympics

• Is there anyone out there tracking countries that have met the Alpine Olympic standard already? There have been enough SAC races for it to be possible I think.
    • Karate obviously has lots of problems with officiating. and WKF itself is not a great organization either (most of their rule changes are dumb) but the scoring basic is very simple with only 1 or 2 rare situations.    I know in past IOC (under previous IOC presidents not the current dictator) asked WKF to find a solution, using helmets or something like that to avoid situation like the last Olympic final. and I remember WKF used it for few tournaments around 2000 (1998 Asian Games for example) but nobody (specially the athletes) didn't like it, they dropped the idea.   I totally understand Kata looks very very boring, (as boring as Surfing in my opinion) but that's the heart of karate. even if WKF is allowed to pick 1 event for the Olympics, they will pick Kata  (team kata is much better though)
    • Cross-country is a long standing WA ask. Handball was never going to get Beach, Gymnastics would defo want tumbling, but possibly prefer double mini or trampoline synchro to acrobatic. High diving SHOULD get in and Archery would be better looking at field events, but may be satisfied with the five it has.
    • Worth noting that MMA was once more or less known as 'no holds barred', the most brutal form of combat sport....but almost immediately, certain holds and techniques were barred! Eye gouging, fishhooking and, more important for this discussion "small joint manipulation" - i.e torture submissions based on breaking fingers and toes. Holds that work in te real world...but are unacceptable in the sport. Any martial art that becomes a sport compromises - what do you think boxing gloves are?   My problem with karate is following the scoring and understanding what scores and what doesn't. The action itself looks interesting, but its hard to read a context.   Under no circumstances whatsoever should we see fierce growling and staring at invisible people - Kata - ever return to the games - the only event more shambolic that B-girl Raygun. What next, Haka?
    • I can understand if they don’t have the multi-events and the walks on the athletic programme, but no javelin? 
    • That was never a controversy for anybody who has watched this sport for an hour.   in Judo you can win by strangulation or something but you can't break the neck I assume.  that's the same with kicking (or punching) to the head in Karate, you can kick but you can't kick with maximum force. that's the first thing they teach you in Karate. the very first thing.
    • Doest it matter ? Should it ?   I mean, the vast majority of olympic events are shit TV products anyway that no one watch outside of the Olympics.