website statistics

Team GB Debrief

Hello, welcome to Team GB Debrief, a chance for us to yammer, unfortunately, in the past tense, about Team GB at the Paris Olympics.

SCHEDULE

1000 WORK FORGET THE RULES OF TAEKWONDO - Preliminary Round

1300 LUNCH BREAK GLOOMILY SCROLL THROUGH THE PARALYMPICS SCHEDULE - Preliminary

1700 HOME ACTUALLY HAVE TIME TO MAKE A MEAL - Gold Race

2000 SPEAK TO LOVED ONES FOR THE FIRST TIME IN TWO WEEKS - Final

Leaderboard

Congratulations to Olympic Champion, Fencing, 1976 @cjsavoryOLY for 115 points and victory. The silver goes to @Olympicsnellon 109 and the bronze to me on 102. @G-annbeats @adolphinto fourth, 93 to 91

Medal count

14/22/29

Bollocks. It's over.

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

But also a neat little graphic from the BBC showing where the Team GB medals came from, not sure if this is based on current location or birthplace… 

IMG_7689.jpeg

Edited by G-ann

5 hours ago, Mkbw50 said:

Hello, welcome to Team GB Debrief, a chance for us to yammer, unfortunately, in the past tense, about Team GB at the Paris Olympics.

SCHEDULE

1000 WORK FORGET THE RULES OF TAEKWONDO - Preliminary Round

1300 LUNCH BREAK GLOOMILY SCROLL THROUGH THE PARALYMPICS SCHEDULE - Preliminary

1700 HOME ACTUALLY HAVE TIME TO MAKE A MEAL - Gold Race

2000 SPEAK TO LOVED ONES FOR THE FIRST TIME IN TWO WEEKS - Final

Leaderboard

Congratulations to Olympic Champion, Fencing, 1976 @cjsavoryOLY for 115 points and victory. The silver goes to @Olympicsnellon 109 and the bronze to me on 102. @G-annbeats @adolphinto fourth, 93 to 91

Medal count

14/22/29

Bollocks. It's over.

Thank you! I plan to stand in my garden this evening, and solemnly wave a comically large flag back and forth to mark my victory.

7 hours ago, G-ann said:

But also a neat little graphic from the BBC showing where the Team GB medals came from, not sure if this is based on current location or birthplace… 

IMG_7689.jpeg

I dislike that Yorkshire gets its own segment but the right side of the Pennines just gets lumped into "North West".

So I have ranked sports according to how I feel they performed in Paris, I think I got them all.

10. being overachieved or done everything we could have asked of them.
5. Done what was expected
1. Being total dogshit

10. Artistic Swimming, Equestrian, Sport Climbing, Mountain Biking
9. Diving, Rowing, Triathlon
8. Canoeing (slalom, not you sprint), Shooting. Weightlifting
7. Athletics,
6. Track Cycling, Golf, Gymnastics (inc Trampoline), Swimming
5. Skateboarding, Freetstyle BMX,
4. Sailing (saved by Aldridge) Hockey, Archery (They get a pass from me for actually qualifying a whole team). Taekwondo. Tennis.
3. Rugby Sevens, BMX Sprint
2. Badminton, Modern Pentathlon, Boxing
1. Judo, Table Tennis

Think I got them all.

Sports I’m expecting 0 presence in LA: Water Polo, Basketball and 3x3, Wrestling, Handball, Volleyball, Fencing.

Big hopes are we get our women’s football team back in, and GB rugby gets it’s act together and maybe get a beach volleyball team in

Big Fear: 1500m Rowing lake is a game changer I don’t like the thought of. Far to sprinty.

New Sports:

Baseball/Softball: I remember pre TOKYO watching the softball qualifiers and we just missed out, and the Baseball classic last year where GB did well, i hope both squad can push qualification close, maybe get one in. 

Cricket: We should be qualifying two sports here, women certainly, men have a bit of competition continentally from those pesky dutch again. This is assuming the nations come together under a GB banner of course.

Lacrosse: Honestly not a clue, but england seem to be ranked in top 6 in both men's and women's events....so tail is up.

Flag Football: Love american football so really interested to see how this one goes, with doing no research aren't GB women european champions? It's going to be who is second best being USA, why not us!

Squash: Should be well represented

Men have competition from Ireland as well. Bigger issue will be whether Scotland will agree to work with the ECB on this or do a football. Obviously Wales isn't a problem on that side.

On the subject of how people performed, think you are being harsh to some sports, if you are judging them on how they could have been expected on form.

The women's rugby were not seeded to qualify from the group. So coming 7th is an over-peformance on that front. There's a separate argument about whether they should be doing better generally but that isn't related to the performance at the games.

Same with table tennis - both Hursey and Pitchford lost to higher seeded players in the round you would expect them to do so. That's doing what is expected to me. Again, if we want to consider the overall health of the sport, that's a different matter.

Skateboarding getting a 5 whilst mountain biking getting a 10 also seems weird. Both delivered pretty much exactly what we might have expected from them.

GB team had the most medals in total after USA and China. This is the most important. Some times diferrence between a gold and a silver is too small. In next Olympics we might see 60-65 medals and 20+ golds for example