website statistics
[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread
Posted

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted

@heywoodu I haven’t bought Nestle products in years. They were caught taking water from a spring in California during the drought when they didn’t even have a license to do so. Not to mention all the allegations about child labor and whatnot.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

Yeah, CNN+ was comically short-lived. I don’t know anyone who wanted it. Their channel model was 24/7 news, even with some peripheral shows, I don’t think interest was ever there.

CNN+ was a dumb failure, but nothing beats the rise and fall of Quibi when it comes to streaming apps.

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
3 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Safe to say you haven't found the Politics thread yet :d :whistle:

Just wait until someone starts the “Religions Thread” :p

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
5 hours ago, dodge said:

I clicked into this thread by mistake

I read 2/3 pages to see what it was about

I have a lot of regrets already. 

It’s totally normal thread for a totally normal group of people :d

General Thread really is life’s box of chocolates though 😅

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread
Posted
On 8/22/2023 at 12:15 PM, Olympian1010 said:

Netflix’s Ragnarok

They did NOT stick the landing on this one. The season started out okay, but the last few episodes were confusing and rushed. Too bad.

Posted

Anyone else watch The Chosen One on Netflix? It screams Stranger Things meets Mexican folklore, but with a spirituality/religious conflict at the center. I imagine it will be somewhat controversial given the subject matter, but honestly it’s worth a watch for the artistic direction alone.

Apple TV’s Invasion and Netflix’s Ragnarok are also dropping new seasons this week. 

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted (edited)

L.A. just experienced a minor earthquake during the middle of a tropical storm. Plenty to talk about at the dinner table this evening 😅

Edited by Olympian1010

[OFF TOPIC] Weather Thread
Posted

There are some really bad fires ongoing in Canada as well. Kelwona and Yellowknife seem to be the communities most affected from the reporting I’ve seen.

Posted

The first ever tropical storm watch was issued for part of Southern California today. Baja California (the peninsula that’s part of Mexico) might take the worst of the storm, but it might still severely impact Southern California. The foothills outside my town are supposed to get an obscene amount of rain by out standards. Hopefully our drainage improvements in the last two/three decades haven’t been for nothing.

[OFF TOPIC] Music Thread
Posted

Spotify is really convinced I’m going to enjoy Kwiat Jabłoni, but I’m not convinced yet :mumble:

Posted

https://x.com/bnonews/status/1691953170426081391?s=46&t=eeNhSzi4Rylqjvpt-IBinQ

The last time a tropical storm made in landfall in California was 1939.

Posted

Chilling gun safety advert that’s been playing before videos on YouTube this week. 

[OFF TOPIC] Your Own Excercise Thread
Posted

Meanwhile I’m nursing a my third ligament/bone injury in just about 1 1/2 years thanks to ultimate frisbee (flying disc). I think I might retire after this one, and pick up the inline skates or the chalk bag/hangboard again 😅

[OFF TOPIC] Music Thread
Posted

She remains responsible for one of the most iconic/controversial moments in live television in the US.

Posted

:ISR going through it’s biggest political crisis In years. I guess five mostly statement elections, or whatever number they’re at now, in the last few years couldn’t solve deeper divides over national identity.

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
6 hours ago, Dolby said:

Don't know anything about the person in question. But, onus of proof should not be on him. He shouldn't have to prove that he is not white nationalist. It is the other side that has to prove that he is a white nationalist. 

The article says the club did an internal investigation and then fired him, which would seem to indicate they found some stuff during the investigation.

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

Allegations? Who's going to decide what is problematic or not? Is being a "problematic" a felony in USA these days?

If someone names their son Kevin Kirk is it problematic too? I mean it could be alleged this person is a Ku-Klux Klan supporter too? :mumble:

I’m certainly not the authority on what is and isn’t appropriate conduct for a team trainer, but doing a gesture identified with white nationalism doesn’t seem like an unreasonable place to a draw a line.

Also, if he didn’t mean it in that context, he could have put out a statement in conjunction with the team in response to the photo. The situation would have likely been resolved at that point. The article doesn’t mention such an action.

In terms of your second hypotheticals, I wouldn’t run around naming my kids after white nationalists or confederate generals, so I guess I would have some questions for people who do. 

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
16 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

How do you know that? The whole situation started after he was spotted making the "OK" gesture at a picture of all things.

Well, the allegations are that he was making the problematic version of the “OK” gesture, which was popularized by white nationalists and incels.

Posted

It was 43 degrees where I live in California today.

We still have ski resorts open at the higher elevations :p

The Golden State really does have it all :cool:

Posted (edited)

Barbie movie will hopefully get some nods when awards season comes around. It’s Gerwig at her best.

I was going to pull a Barbenhiemer, but five hours of film back-to-back is a little much for me. Oppenheimer will have to wait for now.

Edit: Oppenheimer was very good. I saw it IMAX, though the sound could have been taken down a notch.

Edited by Olympian1010

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
13 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Oh really? Seems to me to indicate the club are a gang of bedwetting cowards who won’t protect their employees against pathetic internet incels. 

Actually, I think it was his sympathy with that group that got him fired :p