website statistics
Commonwealth Games 2026
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Would solve a lot of problems, including helping reposition the Games as explicitly 'post-colonial' - i.e far from celebrating Empir, they now celebrate the END of empire.

My impression is that it's mostly white westerners that complain about Comm Games' colonial origin. The loudest even seem to be from a certain powerful country that's not even part of the Commonwealth.

Edited by dullard

Commonwealth Games 2026
Posted
1 minute ago, Dkats said:

Lmao just abolish the thing already. It’s day and relevance has passed 

We need a new games to fill that spot. Maybe OCA and Asian Games will take Oceania in ...

Asian Games 2022
Posted
3 minutes ago, phelps said:

the second VLC stream in the list posted a few days ago by @Griff88

This? The link doesn't work anymore.

On 9/24/2023 at 12:58 PM, Griff88 said:

https://bio.link/minkhudukstreaming

Copy the CH1-6 links on “Open Network Stream” menu in VLC Media player.

RTM (with Malaysia VPN) also have some https://sukanasia2022.rtm.gov.my/utama

That’s some of the safest alternative I can offer you guys

Asian Games 2022
Posted
48 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I saw SBS will be showing some events. Is that the first time they will do so?

I'm not sure if they did in the past but I'm glad they're at least covering all the swimming finals this year. It looks like for most other sports a VPN will be needed. 

Commonwealth Games 2026
Posted
5 hours ago, wamel042 said:

I really do not understand why many proposals are based on new venues or venues which need major upgrade. Only to meet the demands of the international federations?

When was the last time we did see full stands at a major competition? London 2012? After that many events seemed to be held in venues too big for the interested public. It was a shame looking at the stream of the European Games in 2023. Athletics held in a 50.000-venue with hardly any spectators.

Lot of venues build for big events seem te be unused or do not need the capacity after the Games: Athens 2004, Beijing 2008, Rio 2016, World Cup soccer in South Africa and Qatar……

In order to ‘survive’ a critical review of the way forward seems te be helpfull…..

This debacle wasn't caused by demands of international organisations/federations but mostly of the Victorian government's making. They could've hosted a budget concious Comm Games but instead chose this bloated and wasteful regional model instead. This was an entirely self-inflicted failure.

Commonwealth Games 2026
Posted
4 hours ago, Orangehair43 said:

Arguably Swimming in Particular is one of the more expensive sports to host because they are few facilities that are both big enough and have enough seats to not make it seem tiny. Like London still has the Olympic pool but the seating facilities are pretty small and couldn’t really be used for an able bodied world champs or a commonwealth games. (I attended a session of the World Para there in 2019.)

Victoria had a perfectly fine swimming venue that already hosted swimming in 2006 and also the world short course swimming champs in December but the government refused to use any venues in Melbourne. 

Commonwealth Games 2026
Posted
1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

The more interesting prospect might be what it would mean for the European Championships/European Games.

Why would this affect those at all? The Brits already participate in those competitions.

Commonwealth Games 2026
Posted
1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I don't think it will be a catalyst for them to join Asia. It's not like the Commonwealth Games provide much sporting opportunity for Australia/New Zealand. It's only one event every four years.

Australia/New Zealand seem to be content on focusing on World Championships/World Cup events. Money wise it is still expensive for them to travel to Asia for continental events. This isn't Europe where you can drive to multiple European countries (or take a cheap airline).

A limited amount of integration has already started with Australia joining Asia for football and Oceanian countres are also allowed to compete at Asian Games in certain sports.