website statistics
Men's Basketball FIBA World Cup 2019
Posted

What a weird game for Germany ...

0:13 -> 17:21 -> 20:36 

Horrible horrible offense, but at least a solid defense. Noone expected a victory, but this is just embarrassing. Thanks to the draw i didn't see a chance for Germany to qualify for the olympics here, but i thought they had a chance to make it out of the second group phase. The games against Lithuania and Australia should be closer, but now it will almost impossible to make it out of the 2nd group phase.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Posted
25 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

Almost all European teams, actually. ;)

I agree, how many european teams have actually naturalized players? Probably not too many ...

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Posted

Very impressive win for Germany against Australia (74:64) even without Maodo Lo. Before the last quarter it was 62:43! but then Schröder fouled out half way through the last quarter and the game got somewhat close again.

Posted
Just now, dareza said:

Germany probably will be youngest team. Only one player is 30+ (captain Benzing).

If he won't be cut ... which sadly won't happen ...

My roster of 12 would have been:

Schröder (25, Oklahoma City Thunder)

Lo (26, Bayern Munich)

Bonga (19, Washington Wizards)

Zipser (25, Bayern Munich)

Giffey (28, Alba Berlin)

Theis (26, Boston Celtics)

Barthel (27, Bayern Munich)

Kleber (27, Dallas Mavericks)

Wagner (22, Washington Wizards)

Thiemann (25, Alba Berlin)

Voigtmann (26, CSKA Moscow)

Hartenstein (21, Houston Rockets)

Then the oldest player would have been Giffey with 28 and the average age would have been 24.75

Posted
Just now, Dunadan said:

Lol at the Northern Americans...we don't care so the tournament is not worthy, it should be cancelled and replaced by the NBA Summer League Special Edition.

And Canada has never shown to be a major player in international basketball...they could have done it this time but if they don't care the World Cup will be fine without their supposed top team.

Agree, it is ultra embarrassing, they are acting as if Canada would have been a lock for a medal despite never having done anything important at senior level ...

Serbia will be with their best teams, Germany, Turkey and Greece too and as far as i know the same will be true for Lithuania, France and maybe Spain. I think of the top 10 teams in the world only USA and Canada will miss multiple top players while Australia will only miss one players as far as i know. USA will still win gold probably and Serbia, Greece and France will be the favorites for the other 2 medals. The only nation that will really suffer due to the absence of one of their best players will be Australia in my opinion, with Simmons they would have been one of the favorites for a medal too. Canada never would have been a favorite for a medal and the same is true for all other nations.

Posted
5 hours ago, NearPup said:

They might as well call this the B Basketball World Championship, it’s worse than the Ice Hockey World Championship in terms of player participation.

Though, granted, even the Olympics are weird in that regard given that the US could probably have the best, second best, third best and fourth best teams.

Either way, it’s shaping up to be a bit of a boring competition. Big scrap for silver while the :USA C team dominates.

Most nations are here with their best players, only the US is missing tons of players + Canada, but even at their full strength Canada wouldn't have been favorite for a medal. In ice hockey the absence of players has a big influence on the final result, but in basketball that probably won't be the case. USA will still win and Serbia will probably win silver like they always do even if all the best teams compete.

Posted
28 minutes ago, dareza said:

I only know that Serbia will win one more world medal, so don't care for other nations :P

How can you know something that lies in the future and isn't under your influence? :wacko:

Posted
3 hours ago, ofan said:

This is going to be like the Ice Hockey World Championships in terms of caliber of professional players who participate, only worse....

Why? USA is missing tons of players but apart from that most of the best players are here except for Simmons. It's not as if Canada has any stars, even with everyone participating Canada would have been an outsider for a medal considering that no canadian player even remotely has the quality of Giannis or Jokic.

Posted
2 hours ago, dareza said:

Don't agree. At least the best European nations will be with best teams (only Italy has problems). And Australia with best team as well. Well, for European teams, players and fans this is very important competition.

The australian best team is without Simmons?

Posted
1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

Team USA has 16 players who haven't signed themselved out of the World Cup yet: Harrison Barnes, Jaylen Brown, De’Aaron Fox, Joe Harris, Kyle Kuzma, Brook Lopez, Kyle Lowry, Khris Middleton, Donovan Mitchell, Mason Plumlee, Marcus Smart, Jayson Tatum, P.J. Tucker, Myles Turner, Kemba Walker and Derrick White :coffee:

I think the 12 players nominated should be Barnes, Brown, Fox, Kuzma, Lopez, Lowry, Middleton, Mitchell, Smart, Tatum, Turner and Walker. Even without so many players missing they are still easily the favorites given that France will probably be number 2 concerning the number of NBA players with only 6.

Posted
34 minutes ago, dareza said:

What a team :bowdown: Interesting, the shortest players are Teodosic (196) and Vasilije Micic (197) :yikes:

Screenshot_20190810-120248_Chrome.jpg

Any of your best players declined a spot (like most canadian/american "superstars")? On paper i would say the US will win gold and you will fight for silver or bronze against Spain, France, Greece and maybe Australia. It will be interesting to see how much impact Giannis and Jokic have at this level. Australia, Spain and France have great depth, Greece has a superstar but not much depth and Serbia is the only team with a superstar and a good depth, so i would favor you for silver. I hope we will get to see a battle between Giannis and Jokic.

Men's Basketball NBA 2018 - 2019
Posted
6 hours ago, phelps said:

1) yeah, I know he was born in Greece...but I wrongly thought (I don't even know why?) his heritage was from Cameroon...instead his parents are actually from Nigeria...

2) I'm not sure, too...but if you ask me, I just can't stand Harden's attitude on the court nor I like his style of play...moreover, Milwaukee at the moment have a better record than Houston (and yes, I know they play in the Eastern Conference meanwhile Houston are in the more competitive West, but still)...so the final choice it's quite easy to me...

3) nice video...

1) Maybe you thought of Joel Embiid (who is from Cameroon)?

2) Hardens still of play/character shouldnt matter for the MVP award. His stats are unique and i think Giannis has a better supporting cast with Lopez, Bledsoe, Brogdon and Middleton. Harden has Paul and Capela but for like half the season Paul and/or Capela were injured, so i would say Harden leading Houston to the record they currently have is more impressive than what Giannis did. The only argument pro Giannis in my opinion is that he is just a way better defender, so some might say that he has more impact overall.

3) You watched it? Really crazy to see how he grew up and where he came from. A lot of NBA players had a difficult childhood, but what guys like Giannis or Embiid went through is probably on another level.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, phelps said:

:finger:

the Greek (from Cameroon) Freak is gonna get it!

1) I think he was born in Greece and his parents immigrated from Nigeria.

2) I am not sure Giannis deserves it more, but it for sure should be between those 2.

3) Interesting video about Giannis (TNT feature called "Finding Giannis"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrCU305tzmM

Edited by OlympicsFan

Posted
5 hours ago, nenad said:

I don't know if Towns ever played for PR and I doubt Horford will play at this age but who knows. Also for example it's highly unlikely that Barrett will play for Canada, he would be rookie in the next season in the NBA and there aren't a lot of examples of players playing for natl team in that situation. Wiggins also haven't been active for them in the past but given that his under a lot of criticism in Minnesota, and they have a bad season he could play potentialy. Simmons will be a big addition for AUS if he plays, with and without him I think is a difference for a medal. 

I think Davis played for the US in 2012? Barrett would definitely be a good addition to their team. Even without him and Wiggins they still have Murray, SGA, Lyles, Olynyk, Thompson. They are probably the second most athletic team only behind the US. Not sure if Australia is good enough to win a medal. Baynes, Exum, Maker or Ingles are nice players, but none of them really makes a difference at this level. On the other hand guys like Ingles or Broekhoff give them spacing, which is exactly what Simmons needs. With Broekhoff and Simmons they also will be great at defending their opponents bigmen. I think Giannis wont have a much weaker supporting cast and he is quite clearly a better player than Simmons, so if you would consider Australia a medal contender, you have to say the same about Greece. Serbia probably has a better supporting cast than those 2 + Jokic is better than any spanish/french player, so Serbia should be favorite for silver. Bronze should be between Greece (if Giannis plays), France, Spain and Australia (if Simmons plays).

Posted
5 hours ago, phelps said:

actually KAT and Horford are eligible to play for the :DOM Dominican Republic, not Puerto Rico...:evil::p

KAT did play for them (only) when he was 16/17...Horford, I have no idea if he ever did it...

I see, we have a Slovenia/Slovakia situation here. I looked it up here https://basketball.realgm.com/national/teams/19/Dominican-Republic/nba_players and still got it wrong ... :wacko:

Posted
2 hours ago, thepharoah said:

let's make some predictions :_ 

A: China and Poland 

B: Argentina and Russia 

C: Spain and Puerto Rico 

D: Serbia and Italy 

E: USA and Turkey 

F: Greece and NZ 

G: France and Germany 

H: Lithuania and Canada 

very very tough groups for Australia and NZ , F and H are simply the toughest overall 

If both Australia and Canada compete with their best possible teams, then they should be favorites ahead of Lithuania. Canada (Barrett, Murry, Wiggins) and Australia (Simmons, Baynes, Ingles) have both more individual quality. I think Brazil also has more individual quality than New Zealand, but their team has gotten old, lets see if all of their best players will compete. I think group F is the most interesting overall. Montenegro, Brazil and New Zealand all could finish second in that group. In group G Germany and France are favorites, but you cant underestimate Puerto Rico, they have 2 great NBA players in Towns and Horford.

I think semifinals will be:

Spain or Italy vs. USA

Serbia vs. Greece/Lithuania/France/Canada/Australia/Germany/Turkey

Should be a crazy fight between Greece/Lithuania/France/Canada/Australia/Germany/Turkey to avoid USA in the quarterfinal.

Posted
vor 16 Minuten schrieb mihamiha:

lakers want anthony davis so much,they offer in deal almost all first 5 players(except lebron).in my opinion,way too much

To be honest all of their S5 apart from LeBron is trash. Its a very tricky situation, because

a) Boston can offer a better trade during the offseason, so unless the Lakers offer something great NOLA has no need to trade Davis now.

b) LA cant wait until 2020 (when Davis becomes UFA) because LeBrons time is running out.

Unless Klay and/or Durant leave GSW i cant see anybody beating the Warriors in the next couple of years anyway, so they probably have to hope that Durant goes to the Knicks and/or that GSW doesnt offer Klay the max contract and that he will then join the Lakers.

Davis+LeBron+a couple of role players wont be enough to beat GSW, they need someone like Klay, Kawhi or Kyrie, but i dont know if they have room for 2 max contracts ...

Posted
vor 17 Minuten schrieb mihamiha:

so,porzingis at dallas.its gonna be great partnership with luka,but i hope his knees are ok for long carier

Lets first see whether

a) He gets/stays healthy

b) Stays with the Mavericks past 2020

Posted
vor 12 Stunden schrieb thepharoah:

RIP Indiana Pacers , really sad news , he's definitely one of the best players in the EAST 

Really sad to see my favorite player getting injured like this (but i know the feeling back from when Paul George was my favorite player). I guess it always has to be Indiana ...

The sad thing is that there were people who saw this injury coming, Indiana clearly mismanaged his knee problems this season.

Withouth Oladipo i dont see them challenging Toronto, Boston, Philly or the Bucks.

For me only Giannis, Kawhi, Embiid and Kyrie are definitely ahead of him this season. Walker, Simmons and Butler are about equal and of course a fit Porzingis as well, but Oladipo for sure is a top 10 player in the east.

Posted
vor 15 Stunden schrieb mihamiha:

harden continous his amazing streak,3x times over 57 in last 5 games,21 times over 30 points

but its hard to watch this run and gun basket,hardly some defence

Most of his points (i think around 88 %) are unassisted and he draws a lot of foul calls that other players wouldn't get. In addition to that his efficiency isn't too high and he produces tons of turnovers. I still prefer watching Curry, LeBron or The Greak Freak (despite him not being able to hit a long-range shot to save his life) on offense.

Posted
Am 4.1.2019 um 12:49 schrieb thepharoah:

My picks for the All-Star game 2019 :- 

• EAST
  1. Leonard Kawhi 
  2. Giannis Antetokounmpou
  3. Kyrie Irving
  4. Joel Embiid 
  5. Victor Oladipo 

• WEST
  1. Luka Doncic
  2. James harden 
  3. Lebron James 
  4. Paul George 
  5. Stephen Curry 

Pretty, pretty, pretty good.

In the east only Oladipo is debatable. I think Lowry, Simmons, Beal or Walker also would have been solid picks.

In the west Doncic doesn't belong in the starting 5, but maybe he could get the last remaining spot for forwards.

Curry, James and Harden definitely belong in the starting 5. I think it would make sense to pick a center (Jokic, Davis) and either Durant or George for the remaining 2 spots.

Posted (edited)
vor 4 Stunden schrieb mihamiha:

now you can vote for all star game

https://vote.nba.com/#/

dont forget Luka Dončič

Doncic is clearly the favorite for ROY, but there is no way that he deserves to be an all-star.

For me:

West: Harden, Curry, Durant, George, Davis, James, Lillard, Westbrook, Jokic, Gobert, Harris, Thompson/DeRozan

Starting 5: Curry, Harden, James, Durant, Jokic/Davis

East: Giannis, Butler, Embiid, Oladipo, Leonard, Walker, Irving, Vucevic/Drummond/Horford, Beal, Wall/Lowry, Middleton/Tatum, Simmons

Starting 5: Irving, Butler, Leonard, Giannis, Embiid

Edited by OlympicsFan

Basketball 2018 Discussion Thread
Posted

Germany is absolutely sensational in this age category, they could win a historic first title today. I think Germany, Spain, Latvia and Hungary are qualified for the U19 world cup next year, the 5th team will be decided today. Dont know if Germany ever qualified for a basketball world cup on the womens side before. If there will be a live stream next year i might very well watch womens basketball for the first time in my life then.

Basketball 2018 Discussion Thread
Posted

Another tournament without the majority of top talents, France and Germany don't seem to care much about junior tournaments sadly. I think there are maybe 5-10 guys who have NBA potential, but noone with the potential to be a lottery pick.