website statistics
Just now, ofan said:

Can anyone with a deep knowledge of the decathlon give me some more insight- what are the disciplines Warner, Mayer and LePage are most successful in? 

I don't have a deep knowledge, but:

Warner: Good at running, including field events like long jump.  Weakness is throwing events.  

Mayer: Good at throwing and pole vault.  Not terrible at running.  

I'm not very familiar with LePage, but judging by his build I would assume similar to Warner, but maybe problems with the hurdles and stronger at high jump?  

The issue, as a Canadian fan, is that you can get a lot more points with a good throw than you can with a strong run.  

Athletics IAAF World Championships 2019
Posted
Just now, heywoodu said:

Not really :p 

It's an extreme right-wing talking point, and frankly I'm disturbed that such views are being expressed on a site that's supposed to represent sport at its highest level.  These people need to leave their politics at home and stop trying to tell me what Canada is and who a Canadian is.  

Posted
Just now, Col_Frost said:

To be honest he is not. You're Canadian, he is Somalian with Canadian passport. But he was raised in Canada and probably training in Canada so he's "fruit from your garden" and that's fine with me.

So my grandparents weren't Canadian?  Like I said, Canada is a nation of immigrants.  Don't tell me what my country is and isn't, and who is part of it and who isn't.  

Posted
15 hours ago, szy123 said:

F1 and all motosports are crap. Just driving circles and noise and pollution. Apart from Formula E, where it's just driving circles.

I went to an F1 race a year ago with a friend.  I'm not into motosports and found it pretty boring but I tried to be positive for my friend who was a huge F1 fan his whole life and was excited to see his first race live.  After the event he turned to me and said, "That was one of the most boring things I've ever seen".  I guess it's better on TV?  Still not my cup of tea, personally.  Although growing up in Montreal, the party atmosphere on Grand Prix weekend was always fun.  

Posted
2 hours ago, intoronto said:

Happy for Dunfee, but tbh what are the odds he does this in Tokyo?

He finished 4th in Rio, and may have gotten the bronze if he wasn't shoved by the Japanese walker.  He looked real good in the last 15 km last night, and said that the conditions weren't even that bad (at least not dangerous).  

Posted
35 minutes ago, phelps said:

if your idea of "healthy" is being as skinny (anorexic/bulimic in some cases) as long distance runners/road cyclists and any other endurance sport or stuffed with steroids/artificial hormons and other devilish medicines like sprinters or weightlifters or any other sport that requires a bit of power and strenght...:whistle:

well, I take as a better role model those "morbidly obese" people all of my life...

p.s. you look at the half empty glass (and being racist, because this is a form of racism as well)...just change for a while your perspective...think about how much they can do for all those people who are heavily depressed and unhappy because they are discriminated just for their size/aspect...

kids should learn education and respect, not only "healthy" habits when it comes lunch/dinner time...

I agree.

This modern idea that skinny = healthy has really done damage to so many lives in our society.  I've lived in East Asia where the majority of people are very skinny.  And if you ask many of them to help you move a 20 lbs desk they'll faint from exhaustion.  Not to mention the mental health damage they endure from endless ridicule if they eat more than 3 bites at dinner.  There are healthy and unhealthy people of all sizes.  I'm always amazed at the concern some people suddenly have for the health of strangers, especially women.  But let's be real here, it has nothing to do with health and everything to do with hate, discrimination and selfishness.  If it were about health, these people would care equally about steroid abuse, smoking, drinking and mental well-being (and thus wouldn't be so mean to strangers).  

Not that it should matter, but she lost 50 lbs over the last year.  Again, if people actually cared about her health they would know that and be celebrating her progress rather than attacking her.  But as I said, the hatred has nothing to do with concern for her health.  

In any event, DeAnna Price was on the American softball team, played 4 sports at the elite level in college and just won a gold at the highest level.  Meanwhile some troll on the internet who probably struggles to scratch his own ass is trying to attack her because she doesn't fit his fantasy of the perfect woman.  Who is the winner and who is the loser in this situation?  

Posted
Just now, Olympian1010 said:

If you’ve ever been a jumper, you’d know how incredibly hard that is. When I triple jump (undecided on continuing my club career) we do a similar exercise occasionally. It’s ridiculously hard to jump far backwards. 

Well I was going for a running joke, but I guess I jumped the gun.