website statistics
  • Latest Posts around Totallympics

• Euro 2004 was definitely above par, but the following years up to 2014, e.g. under Santos, showed that it wasn`t entirely a coincidence (not qualifying for the 2006 World Cup was, in turn, a result below par and this has evened out to some extent). In retrospect, I can write that Greece from the first decade of the 21st century wasn`t a much weaker team than current Italy, which also won Euro 2021 (I also consider this a result above par and some lucky).
    • In the previous edition of the Nations League, they lost, for example, 0-4 at home to Hungary. It`s no coincidence that they are now playing in the 2nd division. However, they will certainly return to good form in the World Cup qualifiers and one of the seeded teams will have a problem if they draw England from the 3rd pot (I remind you that the seeding will be based only on this Nations League). Knowing our bad luck: Italy - drawn from the 1st pot will fall on England 
    • Finally got the playlist working after a couple days trying. Hopefully everyone will able to get their votes in by next Friday, if not I will extend it due to the technical delays. 
    • Not a surprise, she hasn't played a completed match since the Olympics and has been withdrawing from every tournament except the US Open where she was clearly injured and retired after one set.   I think this drop in the rankings can be good for her and take off some pressure and that she will rise again once she is healthy!   I also can't help but think what would've happened in Paris had she not been injured, she still almost beat Kostyuk (and probably should've won that match regardless, she was two points away in the second set) to make the quarterfinals, then would've had to play Vekic and Schmiedlova for a spot in the final...
    • We actually have a very good group of players on paper, of course not as good as England but we have underachieved a lot in the last decade (quite the opposite of the previous decade before that when many felt we overachieved). Jovanovic as our new manager has made a huge impact already, so nice to finally have someone who understands the Greek culture and language. Some of our previous failed managers in recent years who were not Greek seemed to only care about themselves and making a salary.   On a more serious note, this match took place less than 24 hours after it was announced Greek-English RB George Baldock was found dead inside the pool at his house in Athens. I was surprised he has not been called up to our national team since March but apparently he had some injury problems and is just now coming back to club football and that's why he was left off the squad. He just played in the big Greek derby for Panathinaikos against Olympiacos on Sunday. Had he been called up to the national team like he usually is, he would still be alive...   Kind of crazy that this happened the day before England vs Greece, the two countries he "belongs" to. He was born in England but has Greek ancestry and got Greek citizenship and started playing for our national team a couple years ago. They did a little tribute for him at the game which was nice. Some were complaining that the game should have been cancelled or postponed due to his death.   He actually played his entire career in England and just joined Panathinaikos for this season and played in 3 games. I remember thinking how wonderful it would be for him to play for a Greek club now and have the chance to connect with his Greek roots and learn the language especially since he is now on our national team. What a tragic turn of events...
    • I mean a former European champion beat a team that never won the Euros so I don't really understand how people are surprised by this result? 
    • Asian Qualifiers - MD3     won again (2-0) in Saudi Arabia and  is the only team at 9 pts, for the other results first win for   (3-1 China) and (4-0 Kuwait) and big match in group A Uzbekistan and Iran of Iran ended in a goalless draw.   Back on field Tuesday 15 October for MD4   Oceanian Qualifiers   OFCQ begun second round:   3 - 1  and  1-0  
    • Team Gushue parts ways with EJ Harden    https://www.instagram.com/p/DA9McBTyaxW/?igsh=MXg3d3RneW5qNGIybQ==
    • Yeah, England going back to mediocrity from now. Useless.
    • claim a famous 2-1 victory over at Wembley (and they had three other goals taken by VAR!) @Makedonas