website statistics
Pan American Games 2023
Posted (edited)

Pan American Games 2023
Posted

Uruguay claimed 2 golds, 5 silvers and 3 bronzes at the Pan American Games. This our second best performance ever (the best was 1963 with 4 golds).

Gold:

• Rowing - men's quadruple sculls (Bruno Cetraro, Felipe Klüver, Leandro Salvagno & Marcos Sarraute).
  • Rowing - men's double pair (Eric Seawright / Martín Zócalo).

Silver

• Athletics - 800 m (Deborah Rodríguez).
  • Basque pelota - Frontball (Leonella Acosta).
  • Sailing - 49er (Fernando Diz / Hernán Umpierre).
  • Rowing - men's coxless pair (Leandro Rodas y Esteban Sosa).
  • Rowing - men's eight (Bruno Cetraro, Felipe Klüver, Mauricio López, Leandro Salvagno, Marcos Sarraute, Leandro Rodas, Eric Seawright, Martín Zócalo & Romina Cetraro).

Bronze

• Basque pelota - double trinquete (Agustina Cuestas & Sofía Vicente).
  • Cycling - men's road race (Eric Fagúndez).
  • Rowing - men's coxless four (Marcos Sarraute, Leandro Salvagno, Eric Seawright & Martín Zócalo).

4th place

• Athletics - men's long jump (Emiliano Lasa).
  • Athletics - men's 5,000 m (Santiago Catrofe).
  • Canoeing - men's K-2 500 m (Matías Otero / Julián Cabrera).
  • Cycling - men's road time trial (Eric Fagúndez).
  • Rowing - men's single sculls (Bruno Cetraro).
  • Sailing - ILCA 6 (Dolores Moreira).
  • Sailing - snipe (Pablo Defazio / Dominique Knuppel).

In addition, Manuela Rotundo got a new national record in women's discus throw with 58.35 m.

Sailor Fernando Diz and Basque pelotari Leonella Acosta were the closing ceremony flagbearers.

Pan American Games 2023
Posted

On Friday I found that the closest metro station to La Pintana was 5 km away from it...

I went by taxi. It didn't accept cards, and I had no pesos, so I overpaid in dollars. I returned on bus with no issues.

The stadium is next to three car junkyards (like the Peter Capusotto meme). However the Carabineros kept the place safe.

The Teros won both Saturday matches, though they had already missed the semifinals. Anyway, I certainly enjoyed it more than the field hockey.

Pan American Games 2023
Posted

Hi folks! Here I'm at Santiago de Chile.

I've been to athletics, gymnastics and field hockey. Sadly I saw not a single Uruguayan competitor.

The Estadio Nacional has a white coat of paint, but is otherwise in bad shape. The rhythmic gymnastics venue looks pretty, but accessibility is bad and there were roof leaks.

The field hockey field is fine. However I missed a full quarter of Arg-Can trying to buy two drinks, as the venue had just two payment machines and one didn't work - it would have been much faster to walk 150m to the fan zone and return.

After I got the drinks, the main grandstand was full. I walked to the north stands, where the net made it impossible to take photos. On top of that, a rather rude volunteer didn't let me take photos from the corner, despite being 5m above the field.

Nothing unexpected I guess. Let's cross finger for tomorrow at La Pintana...

Pan American Games 2023
Posted
On 7/14/2023 at 2:07 PM, Laraja said:

If you have time, please take pictures and share it with us! Enjoy it.

Of course, I'm a Wikimedia after all.

The problem is that the cheapest cameras I can find here are US$ 800.

In Mercado Libre I do see some US$ 300 cameras, but those don't come with the original box, so I don't trust the seller's 6-month warranty.

Pan American Games 2023
Posted
On 7/14/2023 at 2:36 PM, Olympian1010 said:

As an athlete in the 10km open water swimming, right? :p

No, I hate sea water (and the River Plate is much less salty than ocean water).

I did compete nationally in high jump, but never got any close to qualify to the South American championship.

South American Games 2022
Posted

Déborah Rodríguez won Uruguay's seventh gold medal at the 800 m run with 2'08.14.

The men's handball team was bronze, their best result since 2006 (though Brazil did not enter). The women's team was 5th.

In total, Uruguay got a total 40 medals, the fourth best results in 12 editions.

https://www.futbol.com.uy/Deportes/Juegos-Odesur-Las-medallas-los-logros-y-lo-conseguido-por-Uruguay-en-la-cita-Asuncion-uc835426

https://www.futbol.com.uy/Deportes/Uruguay-cosecho-40-medallas-en-los-Juegos-Odesur--como-quedo-en-el-medallero--uc835432

Posted

In other news, the South American games medallists will earn money: $UY 60,000 (US$ 1,500) for a gold, $UY 20,000 for a silver, and $UY 12,000 for a bronze. Teams will share twice the money (so $UY 13,000 each for the 8+1 rowing gold team). The current 33 medals are worth $UY 1.3 million (US$ 32,000).

Posted

The Uruguay women's football team got the silver medal, after defeating Argentina 5-1 (!!!) and Colombia 2-0, then winning over Venezuela on penalty shootouts. Brazil didn't enter, but it's an unprecedented result anyway.

The Uruguay men's football team was fourth (Brazil also didn't enter).

The Uruguay women's hockey team got the bronze, after losing to Argentina 1-0 and drawing Chile  0-0 (they went to the final with a higher aggregate goals).

Uruguay now has 6 gold medals (all in rowing), 13 silvers and 14 bronzes, for a total 33 medals.

Posted

Uruguay's men's sevens team got the bronze medal. They lost to Chile in the first match, therefore they missed the gold medal match (there's no semifinals...).

Uruguay's women's basketball team also got the bronze medal. It should be noted that Argentina and Brazil did not enter, nevertheless it's an excellent result.

Junior Pan American Games 2021
Posted
18 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

A handball match suspended due to weather (rain). There’s something you don’t see very often.

The Uruguayan Basketball League regularly suspends matches for rain. Almost no court has underground heating.