website statistics

Volleyball champions league quarterfinal match between Cucine Lube Civitanova and  Knack Roeselare scheduled for tommorow has also been cancelled due to coronavirus.

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk

Team sports: men Volleyball, no doubt about it IMO.
2 X World Champions (2014, 2018)

3 x World Cup medalists (bronze in 2015, silver in 2011 and 2019)

3 X World League / Nations league medalists, including 1 win (bronze in  2011, gold in 2012, bronze in 2019)

2 x European Championship bronze medalists (2011, 2019)

1 x European League Bronze Medalists (2015)

Of the other teams, only ski jumping had a similar, long-running history of success in the last 10 years, so they're my number 2. choice

Individual: Here I have far more candidates, but out of sympathy I will chose Kamil Stoch. He already surpassed Malysz in certain aspects (i.e Olympic Games) and it feels like he can end up with more overall wins in his career than Malysz. He achieved amongst others:
 3 x olympic gold medals + 1 bronze,

2 x World Cup overall standing winner

2 x Four Hill tournament Winner

1 x Raw Air winner

overall: 34 wins and 68 individual podiums in the World Cup alone

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk

National Sports of Countries
Posted
26 minutes ago, bestmen said:

LOL morocco is very weak in volleyball

where is football

I didn't include football, because it would be the most popular in every country.

And it is a map of interest, not of "how good a nation is" ;)

National Sports of Countries
Posted (edited)

This is how Google's Search Engine Metrics calculate the popularity of some of the Olympic Team Sports for the last 5 years, the results seem pretty realistic, but I wonder what Totallympics users think of their accuracy :mumble:

Some quick side notes:

1) I decided not to include football, because it would surely take the 1st place in 99% of countries
2) This is a list mostly of summer sports, but I also included Ice Hockey, because other not included summer team sports like field hockey turned out to be barely noticable on the graph.
3) For the "Breakdown by sport" part I decided not to included data from smaller countries, because it was more difficult to tell different shades of colors apart.

If you're interested, you can check the interactive version here: https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?cat=20&date=today 5-y&q=%2Fm%2F018w8,%2Fm%2F03tmr,%2Fm%2F07_53,%2Fm%2F03krj,%2Fm%2F0crlz You can customize time range, check out the results from your own country or any other country (and even from small regions in each nation)  Overall pretty interesting tool :d

Info:
Data.png

Time graph - here is a overwiew of how the popularity changed through time. You can easily tell when important competitions took place for each sport, and how it boosted its popularity. To the right is the average popularity each sport enjoyed during the last 5 years. Basketball is easily the most popular sport, then volleyball, then Ice Hockey.
Google Trends 2.png

Breakdown by region - This shows what sport was the most popular in what country in the last 5 years. Color depth represents advantage of interest over 2nd most popular sport. (I recommend visiting the Google Trends page, because some countries are barely visible on the map. Also, it provides deeper insight - if you hover your mouse over a country, you can get data about all the other sports.)

Google Trends 1.png

Breakdown by sports - finally here is a series of maps that provides information on how popular the sport is in a given country. Color depth represents popularity - the more deep the color, the more popular is the sport. As I said before, I did not include smaller countries, with low ammount of search info, because it would make it more difficult to view the map. The details on some maps are already hard to notice... Once again, I suggest clicking the link to get more in-depth information.

BASKETBALL
Basketball.png

ICE HOCKEY

Ice Hockey.png
VOLLEYBALL

Volleyball.png
HANDBALL
Handball.png

WATER POLO
Water Polo.png

Edited by VolleyRuller96

Sports Fails Thread
Posted
4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

This little gem (the biggest international football loss ever):

How is that even possible :d I'd understand Australia or New Zealand but...Vanuatu :lol:?

Sports Fails Thread
Posted

We have a thread about our favorite sports, about scandals, about budgets for sports in our nations but surprisingly I didn't find a thread where we could share the best funny moments from our favorite sports :d

So let me start with something which maybe isn't a clear SPORT fail, but...

It was the year 2017, and our women's volleyball team trained before the start of  European Championship, which were held in :AZE and :GEO. Our national Volleyball Association wanted to demonstrate the distance between Warsaw and Baku, and decided to show it by  using a map of Europe.

Which, according to them, looks like this:

image.png

Once again, the year was 2017 :wall:

Tommorow will be the first day in a long time I can actually watch (almost) as many events as I want :d I intend to watch - or find streams even to the sports I usually don't follow, even the cyucling Brabantse Piji race on Eurosport :d  - but primarily I will focus on volley ofc, I plan to finally catch a live game of the Junior Euro and of course the Champions League playoffs.

But today I will focus and cross my fingers in an hour for ZAKSA in CEV Champions League playoff 6 to achieve the greatest success for our volley since 2014 :clap:My heart already beats like crazy :) and then I will watch the replay of women's football match between :POL and :SCO .

Best Sports Moments of Your Nation?
Posted
1 hour ago, hckosice said:

SVK won in Poland in the very last match of the World Cup 2010 qualification in absolutely crazy conditions thanks a unbelievable own goal of the Poles to reach the first ever qualification for the World Cup in history and first ever any Major Tournament participation except the Sydney 2000 Olympics for our football since the independence.

The winning goal

You HAD to remind me, didn't you? :d this was without a doubt one of the most beautiful goals in Polish football history ;) 

Though a strong contender for the title is this clasic :d

Best Sports Moments of Your Nation?
Posted

So I realize we actually have two similar topics on Totallympics, so this one may feel repetetive, but one of the other topics is just about the best moments in the Olympic Games for your country, while the other one is dedicated only to best moments from 2017, so I thought about opening a general one :d 

I want  to ask you - what do you think are your nation's biggest successes in all of sport - World Championships, Continental trophy, or maybe some individual athlete's achievement?  I personally will list only the ones I can remember , but feel free to post about any Moment, regardless if it is from the 1950's or already from 2018 :d  

Let me start with my top 5 

5. Handball - bronze medal at the 2015 World Championships

Honestly, I care about this bronze medal much more than that from the 2007 WC due to the circumstances the boys achieved it - after the shameful behaviour of referees in the semifinal game against Qatar I was sure their spirit was crushed. Then I saw one of the best Handball games by our legendary NT, and I will never forget the dramaturgy of the extra time. 

And then, at the end...

4. Cycling (Road) - GOLD MEDAL at the 2014 World Championships by M. Kwiatkowski

I remember Michal's triumph came quickly after our win in Volleyball men's World Chamionship, and many people still in awe of that result kind of overlooked it :( It's a great shame, as it is definitely one of the defining moment for our Road Cycling.

3. Ski Jumping - Kamil Stoch's DOUBLE OLYMPIC GOLD, Sochi 2014

Just thinking about what Kamil has done then still gives me goosebumps.  This just proved his amazing talent (and as it turned out, his full potential has not been reached until 2017/18 season) and it was the first time for many Poles,myself included, that they realized Kamil was someone special for Polish ski jumping - perhaps even more then Adam Malysz.

2. Athletics - Men 4x100 GOLD MEDAL & WR, Indoor World Championship 2018

Our Athletes brought home an amazing number of medals, but what really stood out to me was this one. I did not except such result and definitely not with a World Record. They made not only Polish history, but the history of the sport of Athletics as a whole.

1. VOLLEYBALL - MEN'S GOLD MEDAL, WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 2014
(oh,come on, you knew this was coming the moment you opened the thread :sure::coffee:)

This one is unfogettable to me and millions of Polish people. What they achieved on their home soil was unbevielable. I remember the drama and tension I felt since the opening game against Serbia, and with every game I knew more and more that either something amazing or something terrible is going to happen. And it all culminated beautifully in this game. I remember this day as it were yesterday ;) I really want to write something more, how big impact this win had on people... but I can't :d This was truly something one must experience to understand. The emotions are still too high :p But this truly was a magical night.

Over 17 million people (a bit less than 50% of Poland's population) watched the deciding moments of that game. 

And the commentary of the decisive point I will never get it out of my head...

... But what was really special about this tournament was how it brought people together. I remember I was the only guy in the neighborhood which had access to the tv channel that broadcasted the games, so after the opening match which was broadcasted for free I invited some friends and neighbours...then, suddenly during the final - which was also broadcasted free for everyone - there were literally about 25 - 30 people watching the match in my house :d And after the game of course there was a big party :d

Here is a footage of what was happening in Polish streets during the game

... And in front of the stadium after the final whistle 

50 minutes ago, intoronto said:

http://www.biggestglobalsports.com/

What does everyone think??

I don't feel any of such list to be anywhere near correct, but, ok...

I see pretty strong mistakes for Poland - basketball is sadly not even a medium sport here, let alone major one.

Ice hockey also should be minor, I think

Athletics should be major sport, as should be handball.

And I really don't like how cricket and baseball are listed as number 4 and 5. I get for example Cricket is popular in India, but it doesn't mean it's globally popular (Important,as the site is called "biggest GLOBAL sports" - even if we take "medium" as remotely popular, the list itself shows it's only somewhat popular in 5 countries ( and baseball in only 4). Meanwhile later in the list are sports like  Formula 1 (popular in 18 countries) Athletics (22countries), Volleyball (13 countries) and Swimming which is popular in 11 countries is... 16th 

And lastly, we don't know the methodology or how did they count the points. I think to get to the correct order, we should apply our own rules (for example 3 points for every country a sport is "dominant" in it should get 3 points, for being "huge" 2 points , for being "major" 1 point etc.) And then add the points up.

Maybe I'll actually do it later :d

4 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

I don't believe these polls are very meaningfull as a lot people are not really interested in sport and will simply answer what sounds cool/successfull. Rugby is supposely to be more popular than Football In France thanks to these polls, but it's not really the case.

Edit: sepaking of which, do you have any stats about the proportion of the general population who is interested in waching sport on TV. Here, it's only 50% (63% with men, and 38% with women). A number I believed would be quite lower than in other countries, but I'd like to know.

I cannot find the study, but if I remember correctly Poland, according to last year's research, over 70% people admitted to watching sports on television - but we do not have any stats involving only men or only women.

SPORT INTERESTING (%) BORING (%) NO OPINION (%)
1. Ski Jumping 82.1 14.6 3.3
2. Handball 80.9 13.1 6.0
3. Athletics  80.1 14.4 5.6
4. Volleyball 76.7 18.5 4.8
5. Football 75.9 20.5 3.6
6. Biathlon 50.6 30.1 19.3
7. Tennis  50 40.6 9.3
8. Basketball  45.3 40.8 13.9
9. Speed Skating 44.3 40.0 15.8
10. Ice hockey 40.9 40.3 18.8

11-20: MORE BORING SPORTS

SPORT INTERESTING (%) BORING (%) NO OPINION (%)
11. Alpine Skiing  36.7 44.6 18.7
12. Cross Country Skiing 39.5 46.2 14.3
13. Swimming 35.6 49.8 14.6
14. Speedway 36.5 50.5 13
15. Cycling 38.2 51.1 10.7
16. Rugby 29.2 52.1 18.7
17. Table Tennis 26.5 57.8 15.7
18. Formula 1 29.9 59.0 11.1
19. Car Rallying 23.3 62.9 13.8

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Personally I would put tennis but especially swimming much higher on the boring list, cricket even higher, and darts way lower (as in more exciting) :p  And football much much higher.

Then again, it all depends on the matches and competitions, there's plenty of athletics races which suuuucked, but also plenty of American football matches which were utterly amazing (I saw 3 matches in the past three weeks and both were ridiculously exciting).

Sorry if I misunderstood - you think football is boring?

Posting this here, since I don't think any sports thread will be appropiate :p

So lately this poll has been done in The UK - what are your thoughts? :dPersonally I am a bit surprised 40% of Brits think Football is boring :yikes:

Boring%20sport-01.png

Also, currently our national sports channel is doing a similar poll, only with 20 sports, including handball, volley and Ice Hockey which are not on this list. I will inform you about the results after they will be published in Monday or Tuesday :d

Alpine Skiing [10]

• Slalom (m/w)
  • Giant Slalom (m/w)
  • Super-G (m/w)
  • Downhill (m/w)
  • Combined (m/w)

Biathlon [10]

• Sprint (m/w)
  • Pursuit (m/w)
  • Individual (m/w)
  • Mass Start (m/w)
  • Team Relay (m/w)

Cross-Country Skiing [12]

• 15/10km Freestyle (m/w)
  • 30/15km Skiathlon (m/w)
  • 50/30km Classical (m/w)
  • 4x10/5km Relay (m/w)
  • Individual Sprint (m/w)
  • Team Sprint (m/w)

Curling [2]

• Tournament (m/w)

Figure Skating [5]

• Singles (m/w)
  • Pairs (mixed)
  • Ice Dancing (mixed)
  • Team Event (mixed)

Freestyle Skiing [10]

• Aerials (m/w)
  • Moguls (m/w)
  • Halfpipe (m/w)
  • Slopestyle (m/w)
  • Ski Cross (m/w)

Ice Hockey [2]

• Tournament (m/w)

Luge [6]

• Singles (m/w)
  • Doubles (m/w)
  • Team Relay (m/w)

Nordic Combined [3]

• Individual Normal Hill/10km (m)
  • Individual Large Hill/10km (m)
  • Team Large Hill/4x5km Relay (m)

Short Track Speed Skating [8]

• 500m (m/w)
  • 1000m (m/w)
  • 1500m (m/w)
  • 5000m/3000m Relay (m/w)

Skeleton [2]

• Singles (m/w)

Ski Jumping [7]

• Normal Hill (m/w)
  • Large Hill (m/w)
  • Normal Hill Team (w)
  • Large Hill Team (m)
  • Ski flying (m)

Snowboarding [10]

• Halfpipe (m/w)
  • Slopestyle (m/w)
  • Big Air (m/w)
  • Parallel Giant Slalom (m/w)
  • Snowboard Cross (m/w)

Speed Skating [14]

• 500m (m/w)
  • 1000m (m/w)
  • 1500m (m/w)
  • 3000m (w)
  • 5000m (m/w)
  • 10,000m (m)
  • Mass Start (m/w)
  • Team Pursuit (m/w)

Additional Sport [3]

• Snow Volleyball (m/w)
  • Ice speedway (m)

Total medel events: 101 in 14 sports + 3 in 2 sports

Total athletes: ---

Days of competition: 16 (including Day 0 with first group matches in ICE HOCKEY and CURLING taking place before the  Opening Ceremony)

Right now ? Volleyball, volleyball and more volleyball :d currently - the semifinal Germany vs Germany in women's Antalya Open ;) . And I think it will stay that way for a good few days, as the decisive OQTs are played in Japan. However I am alo planning to watch the decisive matches of Ice Hockey World Championships and go live to a national triathlon competition which will take place in a few days  in my town.