website statistics
India National Thread
Posted
20 hours ago, Prashanth said:

Saketh reaches the main draw of the US Open 2016.....First Grand Slam for Indian #1....

good news... if he wins 1st round Djokovic can be his next opponent

India National Thread
Posted
13 hours ago, Steve_RP said:

That's utter nonsense...did the whole world conspire against Narsingh???

His complaint affidavit is full of contradictions ....somewhere is says his food was contaminated and a cook saw something being mixed..

2nd part of the affidavit says his drink was kept on the side of the mat and somebody spiked it...

Last time WFI said the saboteur was a junior wrestler...

now they say junior officials of SAI and NADA are involved

However, CAS on the other hand say that there is no concrete evidence to prove sabotage....

on the contrary, CAS appointed expert say that Nasingh willfully took the drugs orally in a tablet form

They are making fools out of us... Never ever seen President of sports federation supporting an athlete involved in doping scandal to this extent... 

India National Thread
Posted
On 8/23/2016 at 20:13, Govind said:

Hi Team,

Can you please tell me is portal where we can know about Promising Young athletics in each Sport for India .. let Neeraj Chopra in Athletics, or Nikhat Zareen for Boxing etc .. just want to track them till next Olympics..

I also would like to track them... Rather than simply following them can't we do some thing more

India National Thread
Posted

Neeraj Chopra throw of 86.48m would have fetched him bronze medal at Rio... pity that he didn't qualify in time... btw i have a doubt whether junior level javelin throw differs from senior javelin throw in any way?

India National Thread
Posted (edited)

My overall assessment/review of India performance at Rio Olympics:

Best Individual performance: Here it is very easy… It has to be Sindhu for her silver medal performance… She has defeated three top 10 players including world no.2 enroute to final

Most Disappointing Individual performance: Its very difficult to pick one out of many poor performances (shooting, male wrestlers, tennis…) my pick here is Mirabai chanu, because she simply has to lift her PB which would have ensured silver medal and even tad below lift would have given her bronze medal. India has lost a medal which is for begging and that seems to have set the tone for disappointing performance for India

Best Performance by Event: It has to be badminton and women’s wrestling(here we definitely lost a bronze if not Gold because of vinesha injury)

Most Disappointing Performance by Event: Shooting… I never expected zero medal from them… In worst case scenario one medal was expected based on law of large numbers (this theory has worked against us as we were winning medals in shooting consistently and one odd event inevitably turned out to be Olympics)  & Men’s Wrestling

Surprising performance: It has to be Sakshi malik……. She is the one athlete who won her matches from loosing positions where as all other Indians lost from winning positions.

Heartbreaks: Bindra loosing out medal in shootoff, Mixed doubles team unable to win medal after winning 1st set in semis, Womens Archery team loosing out in shootoff in QF, Vinesha/Saina Injury, Mirabai Chanu, India hockey loss in quarters after leading, Many shooters unable to qualify for finals after leading until final round

Special mentions:

Dipa Kamrakar (Gymnastics) and Aditi Ashok (Golf). They introduced 2 new Olympic events for India with a stellar performance. Followed by Srikanth(Badminton), Atanu Das(Archery), Lalitha Babar(Athletics), Dattu (Rowing) and Kethu Ram,Gopi(PB in Marathon)

Overall Verdict: Very Disappointing …. Sindhu and Sakshi medals in last few days saved India from Disaster

Conclusion:

Before Olympics started I gave thought about potential medal winners and then I realized as per the world rankings only Jitu rai and may be Shiva Thapa are expected to win medal. Few others are on border line. Considering the previous two Olympics performance I was also of the view that India would definitely win 5 medals. We were relying more on standout performances, luck, favorable draw which were definitely not the case this time.  

Finally after considering many things, because of underperformance from many athletes I would like to use Star sports caption for our Olympics performace as ‘Is se Bura aur kuch nahi’. Ultimately on a positive note I feel future is going to be good from here.

Edited by Madhusudhan

India National Thread
Posted

With Olympics officially over for india now i also would like to give assessment/review of India performance... may be every one would like to

Can't we all assess/review indian performance in some common format which would be very easy to follow...for example in the order of

1.Event wise review

2.Best performance

3.Worst performance

4.Surprising performance

5.Overall verdict on Indian performance (Very good/Good/Bad/Worst/Disaster...)

6.Suggestions

The above format is just an example  

India National Thread
Posted (edited)

loss of final medal chance in yogeswar dutt is exact indication of india performance in this olympics........ so much of promise but no medals to show 

Now officially yogeshwar is out... the mongolian lost to russian in QF

Edited by Madhusudhan
update

India National Thread
Posted

The Cuban guy(Ramirez) who defeated shiva thapa in 1st round went on to win gold.... such a unlucky 1st round match for thapa even though he is ranked in top 5....

I thought Shiva is our best bet but he was literally toyed by Cuban guy....... even vikas krishnan got pounded by uzbek guy.... its pity that boxing has gone backwards thanks to internal pollitics

India National Thread
Posted
19 minutes ago, Dolby said:

I asked @MHSN about it and he has clarified. What we missed is that after highest scoring move, next tiebreaking criteria is number of cautions (before last point). Sakshi had been cautioned once and hence was losing at that time. 

in case of tie so the criteria order is 1.highest scoring move 2.least number of cautions 3. wrestler who scored the last point

India National Thread
Posted

Is there any criteria how the draw is made in boxing and wrestling?

These are the two events i felt that where there was a chance of two top players meeting each other in initial rounds

India National Thread
Posted
53 minutes ago, Dolby said:

My initial assessment was that even without those last second points, she would have been winner. In case of tie, the wrestler with the highest scoring move wins. In that match, both had 2-2-1 points, so another tie. In which case, last point wins, i.e. Sakshi. I am assuming that commentator assumed that Kyrgyz wrestler had scored 4+1 instead of 2+2+1 as her 2+2 came in succesion, one move of 2 leading to another move of 2. But, it was still 2+2 and not 4. But, there is one thing that is bothering me why would Kyrgyz wrestler challenge. Even if she won challenge, it would have ended 5-5 and Sakshi would have won the match. So, there is a good chance, I am missing something and commentator was right. 

Am also wondering what was that.... I want to be sure abt these rules for yogeswar match to avoid tension... my view was sakshi was winner even with 5-5 score but even then sakshi was desperate to score points in last seconds

India National Thread
Posted

Did any one have idea what would have been the result in case of Sakshi match ended in tie 5-5?

I felt that sakshi is winner in case of tie as she scored the last points but commentator was saying some thing else

India National Thread
Posted
Just now, Steve_RP said:

i saw she was 7 after round 1...17 after round 2....but ysterday it was showing she was 3rd....

Many are saying she's very close to a medal......

I think she is in 9th position as of now (including 3rd round position)... after yesterday 2nd round she was in 8th position