website statistics

Poll 74/100 | If you were given opportunity to replace 5 events at the Tokyo Olympic programme what changes would you bring in?*

* Conditions Applied

1.No addition or removal of sport

2.The respective number of medal events in sports must be constant 

3.Event being removed and the one replaced will have almost the same quotas as original  +/- 3

4.A maximum of 2 replaced events can be transfered from 1 gender to other. 

5.Maximum of 4 mixed events can be replaced uniformly between the 2 genders ( 2 each) 

only 5, well, that is a challenge...

Canoe Slalom

W C1 get the hell out of there and presto. replaced by M C2

Canoe Sprint

M K4-1000 back instead of M K4-500

Track Cycling

Team Pursuit out replaced by Elimination Race or Point Race or even 1km TT

Swimming

Mixed Relay out replaced by 50m Breast, Back and Fly

Shooting

Mixed Trap out and replace with Double Trap (Mixed pistol out and replace by 50m pistol, Mixed rifle out and replace by rifle prone)

The rules make it hard :d

I'd kick out some swimming, but since I'd have to add the same number of events back into swimming, that really doesn't solve anything and swimming still ends up with a completely ridiculous amount of events :lol: 

The full three events for climbing instead of one, skateboarding out, surfing out, dressage out, but that won't fit in the rules, sadly. Maybe rhythmic gymnastics out in favour of tumbling, that might count :d 

Maybe bring double trap shooting back in while taking mixed trap or one of those indoor things where they're just standing still out of the program.

In track cycling madison can go (especially the women's, but let's be fair and take both), elimination race or something can replace it. Points race would be the best, since there's basically no real endurance event (other than said madison) on the program now. Omnium, sure, but that's a bad one as well in the current set-up. Maybe we can just throw around the whole omnium more so that it's actually more like a real omnium (aka allround event).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Athletics: replace mixed 4x100m with women’s 50km walk, or a mixed 10km road relay, or a mixed shuttle relay, or a mixed 4x800m relay. Really anything but a redundant 4x400m relay.

Swimming: replace the mixed 4x100m medley with the mixed open water relay. Or if we want to be really creative a mixed 4x200m individual medley relay. Lets just not give 100m freestylers a *fourth* Olympic gold medal chance.

Climbing: replace combined event with speed, lead and bouldering events. I know that’s against the rules but I don’t care.

Judo: replace the mixed team event with a men’s and women’s team event.

Sailing: simplify the program - men’s and women’s sailboard, one person dinghy, two person dinghy, multihull and skiff.

5 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

* Conditions Applied

1.No addition or removal of sport

2.The respective number of medal events in sports must be constant 

3.Event being removed and the one replaced will have almost the same quotas as original  +/- 3

4.A maximum of 2 replaced events can be transfered from 1 gender to other. 

5.Maximum of 4 mixed events can be replaced uniformly between the 2 genders ( 2 each) 

obviously I'd make a lot more changes, but just to play:

a) Shooting: out Mixed Team Trap replaced by M + W Individual Double Trap & out Mixed Team Air Rifle & Pistol events replaced by men's 50m Free Pistol and men's 25m Running Target Rifle (as it was until a few years ago)

b) Swimming: Pool: out Mixed Medley Relay, in M + W 50m Fly, Back and Breast; Open Water, in 25km M + W. I know that’s against the rules but I don’t care.

c) Cycling: Out Road Time Trial replaced by Track Individual Pursuit & out Track Omnium replaced by standalone Points Race (and Elimination Race, but this is also against the rules)

d) Karate: out M + W Kata, in the 4 missing weight classes (2 M + 2 W) in Kumite. I know that’s against the rules but I don’t care.

e) Sport Climbing: replace combined event with speed, lead and bouldering events. I know that’s against the rules but I don’t care.

f) Flatwater Canoeing: complete change of philosophy...no more races over different distance, but all races (11: M K1, K2, K4, C1, C2, C4; W K1, K2, K4, C1, C2) on a single "olympic distance" (which should be 1000m). I know that’s against the rules but I don’t care.

sorry for going completely out of the rules, but this is the bare minum of changes I'd like to see (together with complete removal of at least Artistic Swimming, Trampoline and Rhythmic Gymnastics, Dressage, Boxing -only because of corruption- and Weightlifting -only because of doping issues)...

Karate : remove Kata, replace with a weight category. I just can't be having competitive punching of invisible people as a sport. Have done my fair share of Kata, enjoyed them. they ain't sport.

Gymnastics - Team Rythmic gymnastics; replace with either double mini trampoline or tumbling.

Archery. Ditch mixed team, add Field Archery; kind of like Mountain bike for archery

Canoe-Kayak - completely rejigged

Slalom courses are expensive; you need to use them!! C1, K1, C2 and Extreme or relay

'Sprint' - ditch K4 events altogether, then C1, K1, K2 200 - C1, K1 1000, - K1 5000

My own controversial favourite : Major Team ball games sports should be on an eight year cycle, not a 4 year cycle - make Olympic basketball, baseball, football and, say, cricket a real 'one in a lifetime'  chance; in return encourage all the major sports to go the basketball, rugby, volleyball route of creating a small sided game that can be at every games - 3x3, 7s, beach volleyball - this might be particular useful to football (futsal) and hockey (unihoc) . Rule would also NOT apply to team sports where Olympics are clearly the pinnicle - handball, volleyball, water polo.