website statistics

Poll 70/100 | 1 month to go | How has the postponement of Olympics by 1 year affected your nation?

Poll 70/100  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How has the postponement of Olympics by 1 year affected your nation?

• Positive Effect, increased our qualification chances
    • Positive Effect, increased our medal chances
    • Positive Effect, increased our qualification as well as medal chances
    • Negative Effect, decreased our qualification chances
    • Negative Effect, decreased our medal chances
    • Negative effect, decreased both medal and qualification chances
    • Decreased qualification, increased medal chances
    • Increased qualifications, decreased medal chances
    • I don't know

Definitely negative effect, decreasing our medal chances from 4 to 6 to now a very likely 0 to maybe 1 or 2 in a very but very good day...

The most obvious being our shotgun, Varga, Zuzana both also in the mixed trap and Barteková were all medal contenders in their events, now any medal will be I will not say upset but not exactly expected...

I went with "I don't know" as it depends on if our older athletes can still win. The obvious negative example is Katinka Hosszú, she was ready to win two more gold medals pre-COVID, and now she will be lucky if she wins one. The positive example is Michelle Gulyás in pentathlon, she has matured into a top class athlete in the last year. We might also never had that taekwondo quota and possible medal chance if Salim would be one year younger. There can also be some young Hungarians in swimming who can perform better this year than in 2020.  

Overall it has probably helped. Just to take one sport namely rowing it has led to some changes of personnel in terms of both coaches and athletes. For example one rower (Tom Ransley, medallist in 2012/16) retired due to the delay but another (Helen Glover, double gold medallist 2012/16) has been able to come out of retirement after having three children. 33 of the 41 rowers we're sending to Tokyo are debutants and the extra year has allowed to them to gain greater experience and gel together as crews. I don't think there's any doubt that the squad is now stronger than it was a year ago and now has more realistic medal hopes.

That's just one sport and it will vary from sport to sport and athlete to athlete but I think the delay has probably benefited GB in more cases than it has not.

I think it might rob Sanita Puspure of gold (world champion in 2018 & 2019), I think she’d have won gold in 2020. Now she’s a year old and the Russians are flying in rowing ?

It caused our first ever dressage team to disappear due to age, injury and pregnancy (all separate events :p )

We haven’t had any real bolters qualify and it looks like our young talented track and athletes may miss out anyway

Can only really be judged after the games though

55 minutes ago, dodge said:

I think it might rob Sanita Puspure of gold (world champion in 2018 & 2019), I think she’d have won gold in 2020. Now she’s a year old and the Russians are flying in rowing ?

It caused our first ever dressage team to disappear due to age, injury and pregnancy (all separate events :p )

We haven’t had any real bolters qualify and it looks like our young talented track and athletes may miss out anyway

Can only really be judged after the games though

Hmm....I think we (this is an odd 'we' for me, it's kinda we on both sides, though I give preference to the irish!)...but anyway, we have a better chance of gold in Gymnastics - Max Whitlock and Rhys are both a year older, and I think that favours Rhys a little; I agree however on Sanita, though we seem to be coming into form in the men's double sculls. We lost a few good boxers too, but the ones that remain look in fine shape, especially in the women's section.