website statistics

Poll 67/100 | Who would be the dream flagbearer(s) for your nation at the Tokyo Olympics?

1 hour ago, Jinzha said:

:NED

Purely hypothetically I'd go with two great athletes in their final Games: Epke Zonderland (gymnastics, gold in London) and Ranomi Kromowidjojo (swimming, multiple golds in Beijing and London).

No idea who will go to the opening ceremony or carry the flag in practice. Other candidates would be Lobke Berkhout (sailing), Eva de Goede (hockey) or Edward Gal (equestrian).

Epke and Ranomi would be amazing, but both have to compete at the first day. I think Lobke Berkhout has a great chance, as well as Jean Julien Rojer (tennis) and Churandy Martina (athletics).

:IRL I would like to see Brendan Boyce (men's 50km walk) and Natalya Coyle (women's modern pentathlon) given the honour. Both are long serving members of the team and have been quietly doing us proud over many years. For Brendan it will probably be his final Olympics as the men's 50km walk won't be on the programme in Paris 2024 and for Natalya, this could be her last Olympics too... she has been a wonderful servant to the Irish team, finishing 9th at London 2012 and 6th in Rio 2016, a huge achievement for an Irish pentathlete.

Those would be my picks if I could make the choice but it would also be cool to see brother-sister boxing duo Aidan and Michaela Walsh. What a moment it would be for them and their family. I also agree with @mpjmcevoy that it would also be lovely to see the captains of the women's hockey team and men's rugby sevens team jointly being given the honour.

1 hour ago, CCB said:

Epke and Ranomi would be amazing, but both have to compete at the first day. I think Lobke Berkhout has a great chance, as well as Jean Julien Rojer (tennis) and Churandy Martina (athletics).

Ohh Churandy Martina is a great choice yeah!

:POL

Anita Włodarczyk (athletics)

Michał Kubiak (volleyball)

But I believe that Maja Włoszczowska (mountain biking) might be selected as flag bearer as two time Olympic silver medalist who will end career just after the end of the Games.

I once rooted for judoka Rafaela Silva to be our flagbearer, but she was caught for doping and I promised I would never root for anyone again.

However, I'll break my promise here. I believe football player Formiga should be our flagbearer. She's 43 and she will take part at her seventh Olympics. She deserves to be honored.

Formiga: Um discreto fenômeno chamado Miraildes | Esportes | EL PAÍS Brasil

5 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

:IRL Sanita Puspure and Thomas Barr, or failing that Katie Mullan and Billy Dardis, the captain of the two team sports we've qualified, the first time we've qualified two teams in two sports since 1948

:GBR Jason and Laura Trott - Greatest male and female Olympians, married couple, both going for outright records, and it would just be cute. Failing that, Helen Glover and Ed Clancy.

Sanita is competing that day so she is out. I’d go for Analise Murphy and Cian O’Connor...both former medalists.

:IRL has gone with the following sports

Boxing - 2016, 2012, 1996, 1988

sailing - 2008

equestrian  - 2004, 1984

athletics - 2000

swimming - 1992

The last rower was 1976 and we’ve never had a cyclist do it so my (impossible) dream team would be Sanita Puspure and Nicolas Roche for their years of service to Irish sport 

I’d be fine with medalists from Rio Annalise Murphy and Paul O’Donovan doing it too