website statistics

On which day will your nation win their first medal of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games?

When is the first realistic medal chance of the Games for your nation? When do you think your nation will get their first medal and in which event?

I will "steal" @dcro reply form .. :red:

Optimistic - Day 1, :FRA has some serious opportunities : Shirine Boukli in Judo -48kg, Oceane Muller in Shooting, and both our fencers in Epée and Sabre Individuals.

Realistic - Day 2, with Amandine Buchard in Judo -52kg, and once again in both Fencing Individuals.

Pessimistic - Well, let's say Day 4 and the Women's Cross-Country.

As for Ireland, traditionally our medal chances come in the second week of the Games as the boxing competition reaches the latter stages. However I think things will be a bit different this time and we might get our first medal in the first week. I always envy those nations that get on the medal board early after the first day or two. I don't think we will this time but at least we have some chances.

Our first realistic medal chance?

Our first realistic chances of a medal will come on Day 1 with men's road race cycling and men's -58kg taekwondo. The cycling is more of a long shot as I believe the course will suit climbers but if Dan Martin is in the race, we have some hope at least.

Jack Woolley is probably the better chance on Day 1 in men's -58kg taekwondo but he will need the performance of his life to medal. But at least he is capable of getting on the podium if everything went perfectly.

Our likely first medal of the Games?

Our first medal however will probably come on Day 5 with 3 decent chances in rowing. The men's Double Sculls may get our first medal of the Games. They finished 2nd at the World Championships in 2019 and they also narrowly lost to the Chinese world champions at the final World Cup in Lucerne.

After that we have the Women's Four and they have gone from strength to strength this year. They won silver at the European Championships, pushing the Dutch world silver medalists all the way and they also won the final qualification regatta. Hopefully they can make the final and from there anything is possible.

Later that morning we will hopefully have Sanita Puspure contesting the women's single sculls final and again, another solid chance of a medal.

And for good measure, the quarter-finals of the women's featherweight division in boxing will be contested on this day and hopefully Michaela Walsh could be fighting for a medal on this day.

Is there a bumper day for your nation where you expect more than one or a few medals to come?

Probably the aforementioned chances coming on Day 5. Our other medal chances are more spread out over different days.

Is there a day when you expect to have not so much competitors from your nation competing or no chances for medals?

There are some days where we have no real medal chances of course but in terms of having not a lot of competitors, probably in the final days, particularly if our boxers don't make it to the finals.

1 hour ago, CCB said:

When is the first realistic medal chance of the Games for your nation? When do you think your nation will get their first medal and in which event?

Day 2, when the women's cycling road race take place. But as always, nothing is sure, definitely not the road races. Still I expect the first medal here for Netherlands (with Vos, Van der Breggen, Vollering or Van Vleuten).

Is there a bumper day for your nation where you expect more than one or a few medals to come? If so, what day?

Day 5 with the women's time trial (although I expect gold for Chloe Dygert), some rowing finals (M2x, W4-) and the biggest chance on a medal at the judo tournament (women's -70, men's -90)

Is there a day when you expect to have not so much competitors from your nation competing or no chances for medals?

Not a particular day, but at the end of the competition, most of the Dutch teams will be eliminated (e.g. handball, football, waterpolo).

I noticed that day 5 schedule as well, that's going to be a great day to watch!

I guess there is also a very small chance at a medal from the mixed archery team on day 1, but I agree that day 2 is more realistic.

This seems to be a good opportunity for me to make a "Hungarian medal chances per day" post, I wanted to do this anyway at some point. I am only mentioning events where a medal wouldn't be surprising (in my opinion). Probably my most "controversial" decision is that I am leaving women's 200m IM off, I think it would be surprising if Hosszú wins a medal in that event. 

Events with our best chances are in bold.

July 24 - Day 1 (1)

• Fencing, men's individual sabre, Áron Szilágyi / András Szatmári

July 25 - Day 2 (3)

• Swimming, women's 400m IM, Katinka Hosszú
  • Fencing, men's individual epée, Gergely Siklósi
  • Shooting, men's 10m air rifle, István Péni

July 26 - Day 3 (1)

• Fencing, women's individual sabre, Anna Márton / Liza Pusztai

July 27 - Day 4 (0)

July 28 - Day 5 (3)

• Swimming, men's 200m butterfly, Kristóf Milák / Tamás Kenderesi
  • Fencing, men's team sabre, Hungary
  • Judo, men's 90kg, Krisztián Tóth

July 29 - Day 6 (1)

• Swimming, women's 200m butterfly, Boglárka Kapás

July 30 - Day 7 (0)

July 31 - Day 8 (2)

• Swimming, men's 100m butterfly, Kristóf Milák
  • Fencing, women's team sabre, Hungary

August 1 - Day 9 (0)

August 2 - Day 10 (1)

• Shooting, men's 50m rifle 3 positions, István Péni

August 3 - Day 11 (5)

• Sailing, men's finn, Zsombor Berecz
  • Canoe Sprint, men's K1 1000m, Bálint Kopasz / Ádám Varga
  • Canoe Sprint, women's K1 200m, Dóra Lucz
  • Canoe Sprint, women's K2 500m, two Hungarian boats
  • Wrestling, men's Greco-Roman 77kg, Tamás Lőrincz

August 4 - Day 12 (3)

• Wrestling, men's Greco-Roman 67kg, Bálint Kopasz
  • Wrestling, men's Greco-Roman 87kg, Viktor Lőrincz
  • Swimming, women's 10km, Anna Olasz

August 5 - Day 13 (4)

• Athletics, women's heptathlon, Xénia Krizsán
  • Canoe Sprint, men's K1 200m, Sándor Tótka
  • Canoe Sprint, women's K1 500m, Danuta Kozák / Tamara Csipes
  • Swimming, men's 10km, Kristóf Rasovszky

August 6 - Day 14 (1)

• Modern Pentathlon, women's, Michelle Gulyás

August 7 - Day 15 (5)

• Water Polo, women's, Hungary
  • Modern Pentathlon, men's, Ádám Marosi
  • Canoe Sprint, women's C2 500m, Hungary
  • Canoe Sprint, women's K4 500m, Hungary
  • Wrestling, men's freestyle 65kg, Iszmail Muszukajev

August 8 - Day 16 (1)

• Water Polo, men's, Hungary

When is the first realistic medal chance of the Games for your nation?

Day 2: Filip Nepejchal, men 10m air rifle. But in ECH he was not in good shape.

When do you think your nation will get their first medal and in which event? Day 3: Ondřej Cink, mountain bike.

Is there a bumper day for your nation where you expect more than one or a few medals to come? If so, what day? First Friday: Prskavec, Krpálek.

Is there a day when you expect to have not so much competitors from your nation competing or no chances for medals? I hope that there will not be any day. Maybe some in the second week, where there are not so many sports as in the first week.

On day1 for sure. Hopefully with at least 1 gold and 3 medals. I don't wanna see the Rio tragedy once again.

Gold Chance:

Women's 10m Air Rifle (30%)

Women's 49kg Weightlifting (80%)

Women's Individual Epée (20%)

Medal Chance:

Men's 10m Air Pistol (20%)

Mixed Team Recurve Archery (30%)

When is the first realistic medal chance of the Games for your nation?

I think that would be day 2. Katarzyna Niewiadoma may have a chance for a medal in women's road race in cycling. But this event is so unpredictable that you never really know.

Chances for a medal on day 1 in men's road race are rather slim this time I'm afraid. Both Rafał Majka and Michał Kwiatkowski are not as good this year as they used to be. We will see how they perform in Tour de France (maybe their form will be getting better) but a repeat of their teamwork and medal performance from Rio is rather doubtful, which makes me really sad.

When do you think your nation will get their first medal and in which event?

If Katarzyna Niewiadoma doesn't make it on day 2, I think we may get a medal on day 4 in rowing - men's or women's quadruple sculls. Or in fencing - women's team epee. I think on day 4 we should have at least one medal out of these few chances.

Is there a bumper day for your nation where you expect more than one or a few medals to come? If so, what day?

Day 15 - athletics: W 4x400m, M javelin (Marcin Krukowski) and maybe M 1500m (Marcin Lewandowski) and W high jump (Kamila Lićwinko) plus W K4 500m in canoe sprint plus M volleyball final if we manage to get there plus outside chance in M beach volleyball.

Then day 14 - athletics: W javelin (Maria Andrejczyk) and M sprint in cycling track

And we may have 2 medals in M hammer (day 12) - Paweł Fajdek and Wojciech Nowicki.

Day 11 is W K1 200m and W K2 500m in canoe sprint and W hammer.

Generally speaking, second week (days 11-15) should be better for Poland.

Day 1 will rather not be the best for us. Day 10 will be without medal chances as well, I'm afraid.

When is the first realistic medal chance of the Games for your nation?

Day 2-Anna Korakaki in the women's 10m air pistol. She won bronze in it last time, is the current world champion and also won medals at the 2019 and 2020 European Championships in that event, so why not another medal? Of course shooting is unpredictable but I think she's the first realistic chance. Not saying she will win one.

When do you think your nation will get their first medal and in which event?

Day 7-Anna Korakaki in the women's 25m pistol. She won gold last time. We also have the men's single sculls final in rowing on Day 7 and I think Stefanos Ntouskos has good chance to win a medal. So between Korakaki and Ntouskos, I think at least one of them will win a medal on Day 7. Also on Day 7 we could have finals in the women's single sculls (Anneta Kyridou) and men's 200 IM (Andreas Vazaios) but those two are much less likely to win medals than Korakaki and Ntouskos in my opinion.

Day 7 as I mentioned, and also Day 10 (Petrounias in the men's rings - if he qualifies, and Tentoglou in the men's long jump). There are a few others like Day 9 and Day 13, but Day 7 and Day 10 are better chances.

Day 1 for sure we won't win medals, also Day 15 and Day 16 we won't unless our men's basketball and water polo teams make it that far. Days 4, 5, 6, and 11 are also very unlikely but we have small chances those days.