website statistics

On which day will your nation win their first medal of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games?

as far as I remember (I mean since 1992) Iran never won a medal in the first week of the Games, (or to be accurate the first 6 days) let alone in the first day :d

this is always the same scenario. we have limited athletes in the first week and they fail to win a medal. people start to say "oh we suck this Olympics" or oh look country A or B (mostly small or poor countries) have a medal but we don't . :d even in 2012 which was the best Olympic ever for Iran, the first medal came after 7 days or something like that.

but this year the schedule is a bit different. we will have someone in Taekwondo in the first day. and another one in the 2nd day. so I believe we have a good chance to win something in first two days. but if not, we have to wait 10 more days until the start of wrestling competition :d

In Mexico's case

Positive scenario:

Day 1 (July 24)

Could represent a first medal in Mixed Team Archery, right now we have a consistent duo in the World Cup so with a good day they could make it. This makes me remember London 2012 when our Men's Team placed 4th losing the bronze medal after almost making it to the final but nerves took the best out of our team and no medal. Archery could give a first medal on day 2 but first we have to qualifty this sunday to the games as a full team with the ladies.

Best scenario?

Day 4 (July 27) this day can give Mexico more than 1 medal: with Briseida Acosta one of our best hopes of a medal in Taekwondo and Carlos Sansores, both our only athletes in Tokyo so our two shots at a medal will be this day (the last of competition) in synchro diving the women's 10m platform if our duo gives a performance like they did in the prelims at the recent world cup the medal is possible.

And if everything falls in place our Softball team could be fighting for a most likely Bronze Medal. 

@mrv86are you with me?

8 minutes ago, MHSN said:

as far as I remember (I mean since 1992) Iran never won a medal in the first week of the Games, (or to be accurate the first 6 days) let alone in the first day :d

this is always the same scenario. we have limited athletes in the first week and they fail to win a medal. people start to say "oh we suck this Olympics" or oh look country A or B (mostly small or poor countries) have a medal but we don't . :d even in 2012 which was the best Olympic ever for Iran, the first medal came after 7 days or something like that.

but this year the schedule is a bit different. we will have someone in Taekwondo in the first day. and another one in the 2nd day. so I believe we have a good chance to win something in first two days. but if not, we have to wait 10 more days until the start of wrestling competition :d

maybe you have a chance also in shooting in the first week...;)

3 minutes ago, phelps said:

maybe you have a chance also in shooting in the first week...;)

yes we do, specially in the first day, fencing too. but I'm experienced enough to not "count" on those sports :d if they win a medal that will be fantastic but I mostly count on our traditional sports (+ Karate this time)

I think Canada will almost certainly win a medal on Day 2, there are a few medal prospects that day Diving Synchro 3m, Swimming Women's 4x100m Freestyle. Plus there's also a shot with Pickrem in the 400m IM and Skylar Park in Taekwondo. 

7 minutes ago, Braulio said:

In Mexico's case

@mrv86are you with me?

Well, after the recent performances I only agree that the best chances will come when the Mexican competitors in taekwondo appear into action

As for diving, the pair I think have a shot os the women’s 3m synchro, where the bronze is up for grabs.

As for mixed recurve team, we haven’t seen most Asian teams in action yet, so in the end it will depend on the draw. And I fear the softball team will end up short in their quest for a medal.

When is the first realistic medal chance of the Games for your nation?

Day 1, Fencing, men's individual sabre. We got reigning two-time Olympic champion Áron Szilágyi and former World champion András Szatmári. Plus Gémesi can also surprise. I think it would be a letdown if none of them win a medal. 

When do you think your nation will get their first medal and in which event?

Hopefully in men's individual sabre, that would give us a lot of hope for whole Games. And if not that... well, we might be in for a disappointing Games if we won't win a medal by Day 2, as we will have multiple chances, like with reigning World champion Gergely Siklósi in men's epée, Katinka Hosszú in women's 400m IM and István Péni in men's 10m air rifle. We have to win a medal at one of these events, otherwise the alarm bells will start to ring that Tokyo might be another Beijing for us. 

Is there a bumper day for your nation where you expect more than one or a few medals to come? If so, what day?

I have already mentioned Day 2. On Day 5 we have men's 200m butterfly with Milák and men's team sabre, but should bring medals for us, and on the same day we also have our best judoka, Krisztián Tóth. 

But the real answer to this question: Canoe Sprint. On the days of the canoe sprint finals we should win multiple medals and on those days we also got other strong medal chances, like Tamás Lőrincz in wrestling or Zsombor Berecz in finn. 

Is there a day when you expect to have not so much competitors from your nation competing or no chances for medals?

We have qualified 3 teams and we usually have something going on each day. But we obviously got days where we won't have much of a chance to win a medal, these days are July 27, July 30 and August 1. And August 8 if we get eliminated early in men's water polo.