website statistics

Athletes who will shine in Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

:GRE Elina Tzengko (women's javelin throw)

Not sure if she will qualify for Tokyo but last year she did amazing as a 17 year old, 63.96 is her PB which is huge for her age, it was a U20WR (it didn't officially count because of no doping control at the event). She threw over 60m in all five of her events in 2020.

Unfortunately this year she's had some injury problems, but still she's only 18. She won gold at the Youth Olympics in 2018 and in 2019 she was 4th at the European U20 Championships as a 16 year old (unfortunately that was her worst event of the season).

Also pretty interesting that she was born in Greece to Albanian immigrant parents. We've only had two Olympians of Albanian background (despite Albanians being by far the largest immigrant group in Greece), and both of them were female javelin throwers (I don't count the weightlifters who were from the Greek minority of South Albania). So she would be our third Olympian with Albanian roots, and all of them in the women's javelin throw. Such a unique statistic, and it's not like Albania is some javelin throwing powerhouse or anything. Of course she will be the first one born in Greece as the other two were born in Albania and immigrated to Greece.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, pdr4332 said:

Probably there are many from :HUN but for example: (I hope)

Salim Omar (taekwondo)

Ajna Kesely (swimming)

Istvan Peni (shooting)

Kesely? She has regressed lately ...

From Hungarian swimming alone I would have rather mentioned Kos or Mihalyvari-Farkas.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

41 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Kesely? She has regressed lately ...

From Hungarian swimming alone I would have rather mentioned Kos or Mihalyvari-Farkas.

Good point, I agree on the names mentioned, definitely Mihalyvari Farkas is one to watch