website statistics

Women's Field Hockey FIH World Cup 2022

Totallympics

13 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Canada wins the last ticket for the world cup after winning 1-0 against the US.

Return to a major tournament for them after 28 years.

Canada beating the US a decade ago would have been unthinkable. This program has improved a lot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Indian Squad :IND 

Goalkeepers: Savita (captain), Bichu Devi Kharibam

Defenders: Deep Grace Ekka (vice-captain), Gurjit Kaur, Nikki Pradhan, Udita

Midfielders: Nisha, Sushila Chanu Pukhrambam, Monika, Neha, Jyoti, Navjot Kaur, Sonika, Salima Tete

Forwards: Vandana Katariya, Lalremsiami, Navneet Kaur, Sharmila Devi

Replacement players: Akshata Abaso Dhekale, Sangita Kumari

On Paper India should make it to the QF

If we finish 2nd in Pool B then match with S Korea should be a good match and we would face Argentina in QF which looks possible to tackle and face Netherland in SF, which no way we can be a match without Rani.

If we finish 3rd then face Spain which is tricky and then face mighty AUS in QF which should be curtains there.

Best option for India is Be 2nd in Group and path to SF is possible

If 3rd in Group then crossover itself looks difficult.

Tokyo - 2020

Go India Go

9 hours ago, Prashanth said:

On Paper India should make it to the QF

If we finish 2nd in Pool B then match with S Korea should be a good match and we would face Argentina in QF which looks possible to tackle and face Netherland in SF, which no way we can be a match without Rani.

If we finish 3rd then face Spain which is tricky and then face mighty AUS in QF which should be curtains there.

Best option for India is Be 2nd in Group and path to SF is possible

If 3rd in Group then crossover itself looks difficult.

Topping pool B is easier than beating Argentina, Australia or even Spain. 

12 hours ago, LDOG said:

Topping pool B is easier than beating Argentina, Australia or even Spain. 

That's the Best option but beating England is not possible and Even Argentina is not possible so expecting India to go deep into the tournament is expecting too much from the team. Reality is if we reach QF itself is good and upset in QF at the most.

Tokyo - 2020

Go India Go

I think that defeating England is a better probability than defeating NZ. NZ is strong defensive unit but England is known to leak goals & give more opportunities to opponents to score. I am predicting a top 2 finish in the group and after that we will be a tough team to beat for any side.

This starts today with :ESP v :CAN as inaugural game. Format is the same as the water polo WCh: 1st in pool straight to QF, 2nd and 3rd play crossover, 4th eliminated.  

My overall predictions for the competition...

Pool A (Amsterdam-NED)

Netherlands: has an interim coach and IMO won't be as dominant as they have been for the last 6 years. Still, they will top this group and are the main favorite for the title.

Germany: will be second, terrible h2h vs the dutch in recent times but too good for the other two teams.

Ireland and Chile will go face to face for a place in the knockout rounds. They are basically the same level in my opinion, but Ireland has maybe more tournament experience.

My prediction: 1 :NED 2 :GER 3 :IRL 4 :CHI 

Pool B (Amsterdam-NED)

The most difficult to predict pool, I can see any combination as possible for the final standings.

England: the top ranked in the pool but also the most beatable top seed by a margin. They have been terrible in pro league this year (7th place). Overall just lacks quality in some positions but usually rises their level for major competitions (OG mostly, due to adding depth with welsh players). Don't see them going further than QFs here but could still top this pool.

India: a team that keeps improving every year, extremely solid display in pro league (only team that got a point from our team other than the dutch). However, they still show some inconsistencies from time to time, losing when they are expected to win but also winning when they are expected to lose. Can be the dark horse or totally crash from the beginning.

New Zealand: A big question mark. They have only played friendlies vs Australia since Tokyo and nothing else. Their best player (one of the best in world) Michelsen retired after the games and that will undoubtely be a huge loss. I pick them to finish 4th in the pool but wouldn't be crazy if they actually do better than I expect them to.

China: now coached by Alysson Annan (NED coach in the previous two olympics) have shown some improvements already in the recent pro league with surprising wins but also dropped quite a few games with big scores. A typical inconsistent asian team based on defense and strong corner routines. Don't see them going further than R16 crossovers.

My prediction: 1 :IND 2 :ENG 3 :CHN 4 :NZL 

Pool C (Terrassa-ESP)

Two pools in one, one for 1st place, the other for 3rd place.

Argentina: won the recent pro league without losing any game (two away draws vs NED included). Team's looking the most solid they have looked in the past 10 years but still has a few weak points like the corner defense. A negative point: in case they top the pool they are expected to meet the dutch in semifinal, not in the final.

Spain: home team and big candidate to be "dark horse" of the competition even though they always are lacking some edge in attack. I expect them to be 2nd in the pool but wouldn't be crazy if they top it. 

South Korea: no chance to beat ARG or ESP but I expect them to be 3rd.

Canada: returning to the competition after decades, not much to expect from them but beating Korea and advancing to knockout rounds isn't an impossible task either.

My prediction: 1 :ARG 2 :ESP 3 :KOR 4 :CAN 

Pool D (Terrassa-ESP)

Pretty straightforward pool.

Australia: like NZL, haven't really done anything since Tokyo. Usually starts tournaments in a high note and disappoints later. I expect them to top this pool.

Belgium: Another team with lots of potential that usually disappoints in major competitions. Could beat Australia, top the pool and go on to make a fantastic run but even if they don't I expect them to at least reach QFs.

Japan: will finish 3rd in this pool almost certainly.

South Africa: will finish last. Weakest team in the competition IMO.

My prediction: 1 :AUS 2 :BEL 3 :JPN 4 :RSA