• Russia
    • Germany
    • Hungary
    • Egypt
    • Iran
    • Japan
    • USA
    • South Korea

Probably our weakest individual "Olympic core" sport (alongside Modern pentathlon & Sailing). Never qualified to the Olympics, even during the Czechoslovak era, never was even close to qualify, which is basically the main reason the sport is completely omitted by the medias I guess. Hard to think this is going to change in any near future. completely unpopular in the country, during the Olympics I even noticed some "biweekly fans" being even surprised to find out Fencing is an Olympic sport. so to say

Even me I have to admit, I am lost in this sport and the rules. Watched many Olympics competitions in replay, but still can not understand even the basic difference between the 3 weapons rules

Our best bets are Szilágyi and Szatmári in men's sabre, Márton and Pusztai in women's sabre, and Siklósi in men's epée. All 5 of them are capable to take the gold. I think this might be the strongest Hungarian fencing team that we had in a long time, one reigning Olympic champion (Szilágyi), one reigning World champion (Siklósi), a young former World champion (Szatmári), and two very talented girls in women's sabre. But I still have a bad feeling that we won't win any gold medals in fencing, it might be karma for having an unexpectedly amazing Games in Rio with a relatively old team who were mostly past their prime. 

Epée  :FRA  :ITA  :UKR 

Foil  :USA  :FRA  :ITA 

Sabre  :KOR  :HUN  :ITA 

These are all the Top3s on the world ranking, I didn't see any good reason to bet against any of these teams. 

epee M: :ITA :FRA :UKR

foil M: :USA :ITA :FRA

sabre M: :KOR :ITA :HUN

our best bet is...everybody!

all the Italian fencers on a given day could win an Olympic gold medal...obviously it won't happen all in once, but who knows? we've always had some surprising medallists beside our top stars...

by the way, our safest bet is always the women's Foil, individual and team...

no need to say that fencing is the true Italian trade mark in terms of sports, we won more than half of our Olympic medals in this sport and I think we'll continue this trend until the end of days...