website statistics

Archery WA Final Olympic Games Qualifier 2021

Totallympics

16 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

there will be 6 quotas put back into play?

8 in total: 1 original + 3 (USA, Indonesia, France) + North Korea + reallocation due to European Games and NZL returning quota + Oceanian Qualification reallocation. 

For Women, it will be 3-6. 1 original + North Korea + Oceanian Qualification reallocation + 0-3 depending on team qualification. 

2 hours ago, Dolby said:

8 in total: 1 original + 3 (USA, Indonesia, France) + North Korea + reallocation due to European Games and NZL returning quota + Oceanian Qualification reallocation. 

For Women, it will be 3-6. 1 original + North Korea + Oceanian Qualification reallocation + 0-3 depending on team qualification. 

The Oceania quota has been awarded to :FIJ in the men and :AUS in the women (based on the 2018 Oceania Championships) according to World Archery so only 7 men and 2-5 women quotas will be contested/

Congratulations to Indonesia for sticking up for Southeast Asia and qualifying in the men's team. Based on recent Olympic World qualification events in various sports, I thought the SEA countries were struggling, partially due to the pandemic affecting their training and preparations. Indonesia's qualification shows that there something to cheer about for countries in that region.  

12 minutes ago, dcmdtruefan said:

Congratulations to Indonesia for sticking up for Southeast Asia and qualifying in the men's team. Based on recent Olympic World qualification events in various sports, I thought the SEA countries were struggling, partially due to the pandemic affecting their training and preparations. Indonesia's qualification shows that there something to cheer about for countries in that region.  

And it is particularly surprising since Riau Ega and Diananda Choirunisa were removed from the national team due to a dispute with our federation. It was not until this April they were back training with the other team members

1 minute ago, Griff88 said:

And it is particularly surprising since Riau Ega and Diananda Choirunisa were removed from the national team due to a dispute with our federation. It was not until this April they were back training with the other team members

Thank you for the insight. I did know not about it since I can't read Bahasa. Do you mind saying what the dispute was about? If the feud did not end, I guess that it would affect Indonesia's chance of making to the Olympics as a team since both of them won a medal at the 2018 Asian Games.   

34 minutes ago, dcmdtruefan said:

Thank you for the insight. I did know not about it since I can't read Bahasa. Do you mind saying what the dispute was about? If the feud did not end, I guess that it would affect Indonesia's chance of making to the Olympics as a team since both of them won a medal at the 2018 Asian Games.   

So basically the former national coach Denny Trisjanto (who is also the husband of Lilies Handayani - the Seoul 1988 silver medalist), is the guy who trained Riau Ega and Choirunisa back when they're still junior athletes.

The issue started when the federation did a national coach assessment, where only top 3 coaches will train the athletes in the national team. Denny did not make the cut (ironically he was the one who really supported this coach assessment) and the two athletes refused to train with the new coach citing different coaching style. After some negotiations, the two parties kinda agreed to let Denny come back as long as his salary was not paid by the national federation. But the East Java Sport Commission and the East Java Archery did not allow their athletes to train with the national team. This prompted the national archery federation to dismiss the East Java Archery officials.

I didn't really know what happened after that, but they later held a national trials in April 2021 and decided that the top 3 athletes from each gender will be sent to this OQT in Paris. Riau Ega and Choirunisa earned their place from this trials. Meanwhile, Denny is still not allowed to train them but his wife is one of the new coach selected, so I guess there will be no more stupid infighting at least until Tokyo 2020.

3 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

So basically the former national coach Denny Trisjanto (who is also the husband of Lilies Handayani - the Seoul 1988 silver medalist), is the guy who trained Riau Ega and Choirunisa back when they're still junior athletes.

The issue started when the federation did a national coach assessment, where only top 3 coaches will train the athletes in the national team. Denny did not make the cut (ironically he was the one who really supported this coach assessment) and the two athletes refused to train with the new coach citing different coaching style. After some negotiations, the two parties kinda agreed to let Denny come back as long as his salary was not paid by the national federation. But the East Java Sport Commission and the East Java Archery did not allow their athletes to train with the national team. This prompted the national archery federation to dismiss the East Java Archery officials.

I didn't really know what happened after that, but they later held a national trials in April 2021 and decided that the top 3 athletes from each gender will be sent to this OQT in Paris. Riau Ega and Choirunisa earned their place from this trials. Meanwhile, Denny is still not allowed to train them but his wife is one of the new coach selected, so I guess there will be no more stupid infighting at least until Tokyo 2020.

Thank you for the reply. Seems like the issue is the mixture of some politics as well as the two star athletes not wanting to adapt to a new coach/coaching system. Glad that all of that is resolved. Let's hope nothing like this happens to your country's badminton team before the start of the Olympics. 

8 minutes ago, dcmdtruefan said:

Thank you for the reply. Seems like the issue is the mixture of some politics as well as the two star athletes not wanting to adapt to a new coach/coaching system. Glad that all of that is resolved. Let's hope nothing like this happens to your country's badminton team before the start of the Olympics. 

You're very welcome!

Thankfully badminton is the sport with the least drama here