• Canada
    • Italy
    • France
    • Germany
    • Great Britain
    • Netherlands
    • Belgium

Side Polls 

1. Who are the dark horses in your nation's Olympic team could spring up a surprise medal?  

2.Is the decision to reduce the maximum  number of gymnasts in countries having a team quota right? 

3.Do you see / wish to have parkour at the Olympics in future? 

4. Who'll be the men's and women's individual artistic gymnastics all round medallist? 

1) :JPN :CHN :RUS (not necessarily in this order)

2) :USA :RUS :CHN (superstitious prediction)

side polls...

1) no chance for surprises...Italy can only hope in Lodadio (men's rings) or the women's team (but it would take a miracle to repeat the last world champs' bronze)...

and neither of the 2 would be a huge surprise for our media and fans...actually, most of them expect those 2 medals...

2) jury is still out...

3) I see it coming...unfortunately...

but I still hope in the next IOC president, board and sports commission...I know, I'm a naive optimist...:facepalm:

4) :USA Biles is a safe Gold among the women (no idea for silver and bronze)...

then, I think the :RUS Russian guys are the favourites in the men's all-round, with :UKR Verniaev and some :CHN Chinese and :JPN Japanese guys as the main opponents...

Men's team 1 :CHN 2 :RUS  3 :JPN (Originally I think China and Russia 50-50. But unfortunately key member of Russia Artur Dalaloyan tore Achilles's tendon)

Women's team 1 :USA  2 :RUS  3 :CHN  

Side Polls 

1. Who are the dark horses in your nation's Olympic team could spring up a surprise medal?  

Some girl in balance beam, I am not sure which one. Generally Chinese girls are good at balance beam. Given Biles's performance on BB are not consistent and stable lately, China may have a chance to have a gold medal(only if she drops or big waive while we don't).

2.Is the decision to reduce the maximum  number of gymnasts in countries having a team quota right? 

The decision seemingly favored weak countries with less depth and give them a chance to challenge the powerhouses. But I have to say no it does't work. 4 or 5 does't make a significant difference. On the contrary, powerhouses used to need balancing AA players and individual event players in a team, most probably 4+1 format or 3+2(who capable of several events). But now it's 4+2 format, 4 AA players and 2 individual events players. The gap is even larger and they don't even have to balance anything. the weaker countries can't get additional 2 individual quotas so it's their job to balance AA and individual in the limited 4 team quotas.

3.Do you see / wish to have parkour at the Olympics in future? 

No I don't want it happen.

4. Who'll be the men's and women's individual artistic gymnastics all round medallist? 

Men's :RUS Nikita Nagornyy :CHN Xiao Ruoteng  :JPN Daiki Hashimoto

Women's :USA Simon Biles and one :CHN girl and another :USA girl

57 minutes ago, phelps said:

1) :JPN :CHN :RUS (not necessarily in this order)

2) :USA :RUS :CHN (superstitious prediction)

side polls...

1) no chance for surprises...Italy can only hope in Lodadio (men's rings) or the women's team (but it would take a miracle to repeat the last world champs' bronze)...

and neither of the 2 would be a huge surprise for our media and fans...actually, most of them expect those 2 medals...

2) jury is still out...

3) I see it coming...unfortunately...

but I still hope in the next IOC president, board and sports commission...I know, I'm a naive optimist...:facepalm:

4) :USA Biles is a safe Gold among the women (no idea for silver and bronze)...

then, I think the :RUS Russian guys are the favourites in the men's all-round, with :UKR Verniaev and some :CHN Chinese and :JPN Japanese guys as the main opponents...

Isn't Vernaiev still suspended by the FIG?

Possible surprise medals for Germany:

Dauser (parallel bars) or Seitz (uneven bars)

All-around: I think Europe will win a medal in both events and maybe it will even be Kovtun.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

The four-member team format could shake things up, but, honestly, I doubt it.

:CHN  :RUS  :JPN in men's artistic.

However, I'm not completely sold on the Japanese team. I don't trust any of them. Tanigawa, in special, is very unpredictable and if he screws up like he did a number of times in the past, Japan will not win a medal. However, provided they hit, they should score well enough to guarantee a medal. Ukraine always seems to have trouble in team finals and Great Britain chose Whitlock for their team, and he can only contribute in one apparatus, so I'm not too confident these countries could challenge for the podium. Chinese Taipei, Brazil, USA and Switzerland can score well, but they will need a major upset from the big names to even come close to the scores from the three teams I mentioned.

:USA  :RUS  :CHN in women's artistic gymnastics.

The US is the clear favorite here, thanks to Simone Biles, of course. The other girls are very good, but without Simone, they would be perfectly beatable. Don't let the unrealistic scores at US Nationals fool anyone: once Biles retires, the US team will not be nearly as dominant as they have been. For this year, however, they will still win gold. Russia has a couple of talented girls, but they usually receive higher scores than they deserve, so combine talent and bias and you have a favorite for the second place.

Now, the bronze medal will be very interesting. China relies too much on one event: balance beam. If their gymnasts fail, other teams might sneak in. The question is which countries would be able to do it. To be honest, I don't see any country with a particularly good team. Great Britain picked a team with two great gymnasts and two solid, but not particularly talented girls. Italy lost all of its steam. France has MDJDS, but nothing else. Japan will probably be over scored because of home advantage, but they don't have a good team. Germany is a mere shadow of their former selves. Canada is struggling with a limited number of gymnasts to choose from. Belgium, Spain and the Netherlands are completely out of the picture and in my opinion will not even qualify for the final.

I'm not a gymnastics expert but would like to take a stab at these predictions.

For the Men's Team, here's my pick: 1. China 2. Russia 3. Japan; I do think in a good day, Japan can push for second if either China and Russia gets too tense on the day of the finals. I think Japan has good enough depth to go higher than third place.

And here is my predictions for the women's team: 1. USA 2. Russia 3. China; It's going tot ask a giant collapse for the US to lost the gold medal. Too much depth and too much talent to fail.