website statistics

Wrestling Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Totallympics

7 minutes ago, MHSN said:

according to Iranian wrestling federation, they received a message from UWW today , it seems they managed to find a host ! our federation was told the possible date is 3-5 April or 11-13 April

UWW told them they are confident "that country" will most probably host the AQT (not a sure thing yet) but also told the Iranian federation to test its delegation (wrestlers, coaches etc) few times and bring all these documents to that host country ! UWW is still not sure what that host country will ask to let the Iranian team in. this message was a kind of heads up for the Iranian federation to prepare those medical requirements.

in UWW message they mentioned that country is already hosting some events. I wonder who is that brave country ? :mumble: Qatar ? Thailand ? or somewhere outside of Asia ?

ps: right now there is no training camp in Iran, they sent all wrestlers home but the plan is to make the national camp something like a prison ! nobody out, nobody in. then invite a very limited number of wrestlers to train there.  they are also talking to some countries (apparently Armenia) to host our wrestlers, making it easier to travel without that quarantine period.

If it's in Asia, sounds like Jordan or Qatar.

On 06/03/2020 at 21:31, Vic Liu said:

If it's in Asia, sounds like Jordan or Qatar.

I heard some rumors today that indicates two countries as possible host, exactly those 2 you mentioned !

but on other hand, I also heard Jordan is considering postponing Taekwondo AQT, so that doesn't make sense to host Wrestling AQT with much more number of athletes and guests and beside that they are VERY weak in wrestling even referees help or fixing the draw won't give them quotas.

11 hours ago, MHSN said:

I heard some rumors today that indicates two countries as possible host, exactly those 2 you mentioned !

but on other hand, I also heard Jordan is considering postponing Taekwondo AQT, so that doesn't make sense to host Wrestling AQT with much more number of athletes and guests and beside that they are VERY weak in wrestling even referees help or fixing the draw won't give them quotas.

If it's not Jordan, I am not sure how's the relationship between Arabian countries and Qatar right now, will they be against Qatar?

4 hours ago, Vic Liu said:

If it's not Jordan, I am not sure how's the relationship between Arabian countries and Qatar right now, will they be against Qatar?

Saudi and UAE participated in a football tournament in Qatar and their football teams travel (or used to travel) to Qatar for AFC Champions League, they are a bit moody in these things, UAE for example didn't participate in Asian Shooting Championships in Qatar (which was Olympic qualifier in probably the only sport they are good)

it's not really Arabian countries vs Qatar, it's Saudi and UAE and maybe Bahrain , none of them are relevant in wrestling, so it won't be a problem. Bahrain has 2-3 good naturalized wrestlers but I'm sure nobody misses mercenaries if Bahrain decides to not participate (which I highly doubt)

Our wrestling federation says they received a letter from UWW, which says

* Africa/Oceania qualification event will be held in Morocco in May

* European QT will be in Hungary again in May

* World last chance qualifier will be in Bulgaria in June

as for Asia, their plan to find a host in April failed, they are still looking for a host but the date is most probably in May.

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

Our wrestling federation says they received a letter from UWW, which says

* Africa/Oceania qualification event will be held in Morocco in May

* European QT will be in Hungary again in May

* World last chance qualifier will be in Bulgaria in June

as for Asia, their plan to find a host in April failed, they are still looking for a host but the date is most probably in May.

If it's in May, it could just go back to China. :p

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

UWW announced the new qualification system

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/sites/default/files/2020-04/200428_final_qs_wrestling.pdf

no change except the age limit

and China, Morocco, Hungary and Bulgaria will host the remaining OQTs in March and April 2021.