website statistics

Wrestling Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Totallympics

23 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

predictions for the Greco Roman tomorrow?

Egypt and  Tunisia will win the most quotas followed by Algeria . Even South Africa can have a couple. Keep an eye on the American Samoa wrestlers just in case some suprise happens, not likely, but it's round robin followed by semis . Since it's Greco Roman of course it's not that likely still would be nice to watch them wrestle tomorrow in around 9 hours from now. 

P. S : Olympic Quota for Namibia in 60kg and Morocco in 77kg possible .

32 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

predictions for the Greco Roman tomorrow?

There is a separate thread for that African/Oceania event. I will write something about it there but I think Egypt, Tunisia and Algeria will collect everything. Morocco also has a chance for 77kg. no chance for the rest.

FORT WORTH, Texas – J’den Cox (Colorado Springs, Colo./Titan Mercury WC/USOPTC) will not compete at the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling on Friday.

Cox did not make weight.

Under the rules of the event, Cox has been removed from the bracket at 97 kg in men’s freestyle, where he was entered pending weigh in. He had earned a spot in the semifinals, based upon winning a 2019 World medal in a non-Olympic weight class (92 kg). The bracket for that weight class has been adjusted.

Cox was a 2016 Olympic bronze medalist and 2017 World bronze medalist at 86 kg, then won consecutive World titles in 2018 and 2019 at 92 kg. He was a three-time NCAA champion at Missouri, and hails from Columbia, Mo.

5 hours ago, Dragon said:

FORT WORTH, Texas – J’den Cox (Colorado Springs, Colo./Titan Mercury WC/USOPTC) will not compete at the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Wrestling on Friday.

Cox did not make weight.

Under the rules of the event, Cox has been removed from the bracket at 97 kg in men’s freestyle, where he was entered pending weigh in. He had earned a spot in the semifinals, based upon winning a 2019 World medal in a non-Olympic weight class (92 kg). The bracket for that weight class has been adjusted.

Cox was a 2016 Olympic bronze medalist and 2017 World bronze medalist at 86 kg, then won consecutive World titles in 2018 and 2019 at 92 kg. He was a three-time NCAA champion at Missouri, and hails from Columbia, Mo.

very funny for someone who was moving up a weight from 92kg ! but he just made the life easier for Kyle Snyder

I know this is way too early but after the Greco competition in Asia, we know the name of 14 qualified countries in each Greco-Roman weight. we still don't know who is going to Bulgaria, some countries may use a different wrestler but this is the list of "better wrestlers/countries" without quota. there will be seeding, I will list two seeded wrestlers

I think European wrestlers will win most of the quotas, probably 9 or 10. maybe even all 12 !

60: seeds) :ARM Gharibyan and :BUL Angelov (:COL and :CRO are next in line in case Bulgaria uses a different wrestler)

I believe it will be only between European wrestlers, only slim chance for :ECU and :KOR to make a difference

there is no clear favorite left, but I think :ARM:GEO:BUL:MDA have a better chance :AZE:HUN:NOR:BLR + those 2 non-European wrestlers are next.

67: seeds) :UZB Bakhshilloev and :IND Ashu (:NOR, :VEN and :POL are next if UZB uses another wrestler)

again no clear favorite but they are lots of good guys, :POL:AZE:ARM:UKR:NOR:KAZ are better here, I can name 10 other countries with decent wrestlers but I'm going to stop here. this weight will be crowded in Bulgaria

77: seeds) :BLR Liakh and :VEN Rivas (:AZE and :LTU are next)

:KOR Kim and :SRB Nemes (both former world champions) are the biggest name not qualified yet and they can easily fall in the same part of the draw. :GEO:BUL:AZE:GER have good wrestlers left, I can add few more names too. :TUR for example

87: seeds) :IND Sunil and :VEN Avendano (:CRO and :RUS are next)

some big names are still left without quota, the biggest name is :RUS ! I don't know who they are going to send to Bulgaria but I assume that will be Chakvetadze defending Olympic Champion. :TUR Basar is a two time World Champion plus former world medalists like :ARM Shahinyan and :IRI Nouri, even though I believe Iran will send a different wrestler, (too early though, Nouri just lost today) after these guys I can add :SRB:BUL to the list too.

97: seeds) :ITA Kakhelashvili and :CZE Omarov (next is :FRA)

another European competition, I believe only in this weight the top seed is indeed the best remaining wrestler. :BLR:NOR:FRA:AZE are probably the best after him. maybe :KAZ from Asia too.

130: seeds) :VEN Perez and :USA Coon (next is :ROU)

this is a week weight in general, the level was low even in Europe. I think all notable wrestlers are already qualified but :AZE:ROU:UKR are a bit better than the rest. even :USA and :CHN

if MGL wins the last female quota in the Asian QT, this is how women's wrestling quotas are distributed

6 :CHN:JPN:USA

5 :MGL

4 :NGR:TUN:UKR

3 :BLR:BUL:CUB:IND:KAZ:KGZ:RUS

2 :BRA:CAN:EGY:GER:POL:SWE

1 :AZE:CMR:EST:FRA:GRE:GUM:GUI:HUN:LAT:MEX:MDA:ROU:TUR

I didn't count 2 PRK quotas and 1 SWE quota (disqualified for doping ) it's just 81, if I understand the rules correctly, those 2 PRK quotas will go to Ecuador and Moldova.

1 minute ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

That one will go to tripartite invitation since reallocation had less than 8 athletes.

nope wrong, I wasn't talking about the Pan-Am qualifiers, Ecuador was 7th at the World Championships