website statistics

Wrestling Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Totallympics

4 minutes ago, Vektor said:

You are mixing things up regarding the age of sports. We are talking about compound archery, which is a very modern discipline, and only got introduced at the World Championships in the 90s. Compared to compound archery all the fencing disciplines are ancient and have been on the Olympic program since 1896/1900. 

And the only people who would ever support the idea of a mixed all disciplines fencing team even are the ones who don't understand the sport at all. 

But still epee sounded like proper fencing to me when I read rules for the first time. Rest all were adaptations / modifications with individual events more than enough maybe team epee is still fine easy to understand. 

1 minute ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

But still epee sounded like proper fencing to me when I read rules for the first time. Rest all were adaptations / modifications with individual events more than enough maybe team epee is still fine easy to understand. 

It doesn't matter what is "easy to understand" when we are talking about events that have been on the Olympic program 25+ times. It was a travesty that the male fencing team events had to take a break one time during the last three Games considering that they have a century long history at the Olympics. Traditions should matter at the Games, and these events are as old as the Modern Olympic Games themselves. 

Also, foil or sabre isn't harder to understand than most Olympic sports. I have no clue most of the time what's going in the "artistic" sports with their point systems, but I would never get rid of any of the gymnastics events. Foil or sabre are also not harder to understand than other combat sports like judo. 

47 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Wrestling is losing events / quotas because women's Greco-Roman still doesn't exist, and the clock is ticking for both wrestling and GR. FIE did their job over the years and introduced female sabre and épéé in the Olympic program.

You think they would add events, if they made up womens GR? How naive. :p "Hey IOC, we made womens GR, give us now another 6 events and 100 people" :d

While in reality they would make it 5-4-5-4, or even 4-4-4-4, if more cuts are needed. Like mentioned, in 1972 wrestling had 20 events, while now it's down to 18 (with the women being added!) with fewer quotas even.

4 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Also, foil or sabre isn't harder to understand than most Olympic sports. I have no clue most of the time what's going in the "artistic" sports with their point systems, but I would never get rid of any of the gymnastics events. Foil or sabre are also not harder to understand than other combat sports like judo. 

Well, priority system in foil and especially sabre might be a little more difficult to understand for a person who has never watched fencing before.

2 hours ago, Vektor said:

Wrestling is losing events / quotas because women's Greco-Roman still doesn't exist, and the clock is ticking for both wrestling and GR. FIE did their job over the years and introduced female sabre and épéé in the Olympic program.

synchro swim and rythm gymnastics men's also doesnt exit but these sports arent losing quotas

3 hours ago, Vektor said:

And the only people who would ever support the idea of a mixed all disciplines fencing team even are the ones who don't understand the sport at all. 

At base level, I find that idea intriguing.

Say the format was as follows: 3 fencers per team, one from each weapon. Epee then goes against Epee, Sabre against Sabre, and Foil against foil (doesn’t have to be that order). The scoring/format would be the same as the current team event.

You could have 16 entries in this team event (or event 24, 32), and then have more countries in the individual events.

However, each country is then restricted to 1 fencer per event, and I’d imagine that’d be a no-go for most fans/athletes.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

weapon. Epee then goes against Epee, Sabre against Sabre, and Foil against foil (doesn’t have to be that order). The scoring/format would be the same as the current team event.

Already done at youth level. It's a format that doesn't take into account that the difficulty of scoring in each weapon is vastly different.

This is like having a relay in athletics with a 100m, a 400m and a 1500m runner- that would simply be a 1500m with a small difference at the start, with 2 legs out of 3 irrelevant to the final result

19 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

At base level, I find that idea intriguing.

Say the format was as follows: 3 fencers per team, one from each weapon. Epee then goes against Epee, Sabre against Sabre, and Foil against foil (doesn’t have to be that order). The scoring/format would be the same as the current team event.

You could have 16 entries in this team event (or event 24, 32), and then have more countries in the individual events.

However, each country is then restricted to 1 fencer per event, and I’d imagine that’d be a no-go for most fans/athletes.

The only way this team event would be approved by anyone at FIE and in the fencing community if it was a bonus event similar to the Judo Mixed Team thing, not as something that replaces the other team events. And it would be just as weird as the Judo Mixed Team event, it's not something that needs to be in the Olympic program.