website statistics

Karate WKF Olympic Games Qualifier 2021

Totallympics

Wow, a real miracle from Ivet Goranova. Did not expect this, even if she is one of the best female natural talents in this sport. It would have been a big loss, if her talent was wasted and she missed the only Olympics opportunity that she will have, since karate won't be in anymore OG.

3 hours ago, MHSN said:

Continental quotas ladder

@phelps by my count Semeraro is 100% safe. there is no scenario that both +61 spots been taken before Europe.

no big change on the men's side, I will leave that until tomorrow.

Oceania:

1. :NZL Anacan (Kata - Rank 9) - Qualified Continental Quota

Africa:

1. :EGY Abdelaziz (+61kg - Rank 5)

2. :EGY Sayed (55kg - Rank 11) - failed to qualify directly

America:

1. :PER Grande (61kg - Rank 9) - will go to Tokyo even if doesn't qualify directly

2. :BRA Kumizaki (55kg - Rank 19) - failed to qualify directly

Asia:

1. :IRI Alipour (61kg - Rank 6) - will go to Tokyo even if doesn't qualify directly

2. :CHN Li (55kg - Rank 8) - failed to qualify directly

3. :KAZ Berultseva (+61kg - Rank 9)

Europe:

1. :ITA Semeraro (+61kg - Rank 11)- will go to Tokyo even if doesn't qualify directly

2. :UKR Serogina (61kg - Rank 12)

3. :AUT Plank (55kg - Rank 14) - failed to qualify directly

thanks for your calculation...

it's really great news, because she hasn't recovered yet at 100% since the injury that made her miss the Lisbon K1PL and lose in the 1st match at the Europeans...

hopefully, now she can get better before the start of the Olympics...

2 hours ago, Vektor said:

Wait, if 0-0 draw is possible in kumite, doesn't that give a ton of advantage to the athletes of the last match, depending on how the previous matches went? Like, what's stopping them to have a friendly 0-0 if that's the only outcome where they both qualify? 

that's why normally Karate tournaments have knockout brackets...

but nowadays with those limited quota places and small number of athletes in each tournament, they're using more and more this sh*t of round robins...

35 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Yeah. If their goal was to make me hate karate, their certainly succeeded. I am not sure when was the last time I was so frustrated by an Olympic sport. 

I know a lot of people on this forum like Karate, but for me of all the additional sports this is the one I'm least keen on seeing again.

44 minutes ago, Adriano said:

Really two  from 12 places go to triparity places? It is a joke. 

No, there's only four tripartite quotas (2 men and 2 women) across the eight events. They also need to be ranked in the top 50 in order to be eligible to compete.

However, only 10 athletes will compete in each event.

13 minutes ago, Xanderxx said:

What about the continental places in male 67kg? How can the hungarian guy qualify? There must be some chance somehow

I'm afraid there is no chance for him. Continental places will be decided based on European Games results and the Latvian guy in the same weight who won the EG is the first in line for the European Continental quota.