website statistics

Weightlifting Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

4 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

If it makes you feel better, Greece didn't even send a team to the 2019 World Championships and it's been kind of a scandal now because our guy probably would've qualified if he went in 2019 and got points. However Pyrros Dimas (who is now president of our weightlifting federation I believe) decided to not send anyone and now he received some backlash for it.

Especially since this could be the first time since 1964 that we don't send any weightlifters to the Olympics (our only woman who qualified lost her spot because she was caught doping), and we've won more medals in weightlifting than any other sport except athletics, so this is like the final nail in the coffin for Greek weightlifting if we can't even qualify anyone for the Olympics anymore.

oh no problem with Greece at all, someone had to take this quota. and our guy is not even in the list to compete.

this is not about having one more quota. we already have maximum 2 we could have. it was about having this guy in Tokyo. we had 3 other weightlifters in this 96kg weight above him, we could easily have 96kg quota if we wanted but our WL federation removed all 3 of them to make room for Moradi. he is not just another weightlifter, he is the world record holder.

I would trade this quota with any other quota (even team sports) we got for the Olympics. just to show how important he was.

33 minutes ago, MHSN said:

oh no problem with Greece at all, someone had to take this quota. and our guy is not even in the list to compete.

this is not about having one more quota. we already have maximum 2 we could have. it was about having this guy in Tokyo. we had 3 other weightlifters in this 96kg weight above him, we could easily have 96kg quota if we wanted but our WL federation removed all 3 of them to make room for Moradi. he is not just another weightlifter, he is the world record holder.

I would trade this quota with any other quota (even team sports) we got for the Olympics. just to show how important he was.

I knew you weren't making it against Greece or anything, I was just saying that our guy would've probably finished higher in the rankings if Dimas didn't refuse to send him to the 2019 World Championships.

4 hours ago, MHSN said:

Probably a silly question and the answer is "no", but I have to ask anyway: can't Iran explain this and formally ask for his inclusion? Of course, after removing the undesired lifter from the other list...

12 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Probably a silly question and the answer is "no", but I have to ask anyway: can't Iran explain this and formally ask for his inclusion? Of course, after removing the undesired lifter from the other list...

I think the rules are clear. once you are removed from the list you can't get back into it. Iran had to remove the other guy before the deadline. but our WL federation didn't so IWF automatically picked up our 2 best ranked weightlifters and removed the rest.

and that undesired weightlifter is a two time World Champion (have to say he was lucky both times but ordinary people don't understand that) I mean he wasn't a nobody. he has his own group of supporters. it wasn't easy for our WL federation to simply remove him and waiting for a miracle like this. that was risky we could end up with just 1 weightlifter in Tokyo!

btw I was thinking maybe Moradi can bring this to CAS. claiming he was pregnant at the time. faking a pregnancy test or something. he had a big belly after all. :d

6 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Maybe it's because it's legal in Canada, but is there any competitive advantage for marijuana or is this a "moral" issue?

One can argue it can be misused to induce calmness... The mental side is as import as the physical one, and it's easy to forget that the first doping case at the Olympics was a Swedish shooter who took a beer to steady his nerves.

"Performance-enhancing" drug, it certainly is.

#banbestmen