website statistics

Weightlifting Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

27 minutes ago, MHSN said:

the ITG (inside the games) article claims they want to keep 96kg quota which makes sense that will be the weakest weight without most of the favorites.

but I'm not sure what will happen if they withdraw 96kg quota. (or somebody else gets injured or suspended. that's always possible in this sport) per norm if they remove Colombia. Cuba will move up to top 8. so the available quota should go to the next best weightlifter from Pan-America which is Brazil.

but there is something in the qualification rule that says if withdrawal/ban happens after 25 June they won't update the ranking, so I assume in this case they simply give the available quota to the next best athlete which is indeed Greece.

Of course :BRA had to receive the short end of the stick. :facepalm:

53 minutes ago, MHSN said:

ITG claims 67kg and 96kg. which means Poland will qualify at 81kg (and TPE at 61kg)

Give us womens quota in wrestling too and then I will can say that our number of qualified athletes is satisfated :p

4 hours ago, intoronto said:

ATR reporting Colombia has to return 5 quotas.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1109614/colombia-tokyo-2020-status

&

Weightlifting on the way out of the OG after Tokyo?

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1109581/preview-on-iwf-virtual-congress-preview

9 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

Weightlifting on the way out of the OG after Tokyo?

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1109581/preview-on-iwf-virtual-congress-preview

They say this before and after each Olympics. IOC already punished them for Paris with 40-50% reduction of events.

3 hours ago, Dragon said:

Are there updated lists of qualifiers now that the Colombians have been reduced?

Presumably there will be after the Colombians have indicated which three quotas they wish to retain (and it better not include the women's 76kg category).

1 hour ago, Federer91 said:

They say this before and after each Olympics. IOC already punished them for Paris with 40-50% reduction of events.

This time it's more serious though. My guess is that either the IWF must either be replaced by another governing body or completely and genuinely reformed if it wants to keep its place in Paris

4 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

Presumably there will be after the Colombians have indicated which three quotas they wish to retain (and it better not include the women's 76kg category).

You got to feel a bit for Godley. To be fair, she's not a medal chance at -76 - all the other Brits are.

4 hours ago, Dragon said:

This time it's more serious though. My guess is that either the IWF must either be replaced by another governing body or completely and genuinely reformed if it wants to keep its place in Paris

I'd rather see the dumping of the Fed than the sport - and the recent ITA document, damning as it is, gives plenty of justification. But the sport is utterly, utterly riddled with doping culture - makes 1990's road cycling look vegan.

Weightlifting’s Olympic future in balance after IWF Congress stalemate (insidethegames.biz)

If the so-called "old guard" dont come to their sense the IOC has to make good on their threats. Unfortunately that means the (non doping) athletes will suffer.

An alternative federation may make sense but dont know if it can be legally done.

Saddest thing of them all that IMO, the ******** Ajan will get away with all he had done (unless it is somehow possible to initiate legal proceedings against him at a non Hungarian court). More likely than not he will "retire" and maybe, like many exiled dictators, will publicly insist on his innocence until the end.