website statistics

Weightlifting Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

34 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

:yikes: 

Who managed to beat her?

Edit: Never mind, I see they picked four other women in different weights. Ugh, this system sucks so bad, I wonder how many weights we'll have where we will actually see for example the best three in the world compete. Just now I notice there's also not even Tian Tao :cry: 

Yeah, it's terrible that not only do you have to compete within your own event you have to compete against athletes in other events in order to qualify. We have a similar issue (though a lot smaller) in the kayak events in canoe sprint.

alongside HUN at +109kg, ALB also took the Asian unused quota at 81kg. and women's +87kg unsed quota also went to Austria.

and it seems Ukraine rejected 109kg quota which went to Lithuania.

also after removing Romania. Toma's quota went to Germany.

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

alongside HUN at +109kg, ALB also took the Asian unused quota at 81kg. and women's +87kg unsed quota also went to Austria.

and it seems Ukraine rejected 109kg quota which went to Lithuania.

also after removing Romania. Toma's quota went to Germany.

So is that Ireland’s chance of a quota gone? :d 

Edit: actually if I remember we are not waiting on the unused Asian quota but the host reallocation and where the wildcards will be awarded.

1 minute ago, OlympicIRL said:

So is that Ireland’s chance of a quota gone? :d 

no that was something else :d Asian unused quota was supposed to go to the next best ranked weightlifter.

but there will be 3 unused host quotas. we still don't know which weights are going to receive them. (that will depend on 4 wild cards) but if one of them comes to this weight, Ireland is #1 priority to get that.

unused host quotas are supposed to go to the next best weightlifter from NOCs "not represented yet"

46 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Is :NZL going to decline quotas?

I don't think so

I believe their policy (stupid policy if you ask me) is something about finishing in top 16 of the World Championships or Olympics. they don't reject quotas in events with low number of athletes (16 or less than that)

last time they didn't reject a quota in wrestling which was won by doing nothing , their guy lost the only match he had to win but later the Australian wrestler got caught for doping. (the NZ wrestler got injured and didn't participate in Rio eventually though)