website statistics

Weightlifting Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

1 minute ago, intoronto said:

@MHSNBy my calculations, Canada has at least 4 women, is that correct? 55, 59, 64, 76

4 is the maximum actually :p

but from what I see 76, 64 and 55 are 100% guaranteed.

59 is 2nd in line for the Pan American quota behind USA. but USA has 4 weightlifters in top 8 in other weights. so yes I think Canada is 99.99% guaranteed maximum 4 quotas .

Just now, MHSN said:

4 is the maximum actually :p

but from what I see 76, 64 and 55 are 100% guaranteed.

59 is 2nd in line for the Pan American quota behind USA. but USA has 4 weightlifters in top 8 in other weights. so yes I think Canada is 99.99% guaranteed maximum 4 quotas .

I let the 76kg athlete know, and they had no idea, and they are obviously very thrilled (she didn't do well at Pan Am's earlier this year and thought she lost her chance)

3 minutes ago, Dragon said:

I was told Emily Godley/Musket might make it a full team of four for GB?

from what I see she is 3rd in line for the European quota. but there are some countries in top 8 with more quotas than what they can take. she will qualify if 2 of those NOCs decide to not send someone in this weight. I don't know how possible is that right now. you have to consider all 7 weights.

USA, CHN, UKR and MEX are all over the limit but if you ask me all of them will pick this weight. I have to say Colombia still might get suspended. so slim chance but not impossible

3 hours ago, MHSN said:

no I didn't :d that's Ireland. Ireland is the best ranked NOC in that weight with no quota in another categories.

I have to say I'm not sure at all about what I wrote :d so don't blame me if I was completely wrong :p the whole qualification process was mind blowing. (for example both of our Olympic Champions failed to qualify)

as I said I still think India will take that quota but some Indian users told me earlier that this is guy is suspended (I can't find anything confirming that) if he is banned, there is nobody else from Asia to take the Asian quota. so the quota will be re-allocated.

BUT even if India takes that one, there is another way left for Ireland, according to the rules, since Japan is qualifying maximum 4 weightlifters, there will be 4 unused host quotas. we still don't know in which weights because they have to award 3 wild cards first. in case no wild card will be awarded in this weight. :CIV Brown has a good chance to take the unused host quota.

It does appear that we did make a mistake and Ajay Singh, the weightlifter is not suspended but Ajay Thakur, Kabbadi player is suspended. 

I am not sure of his fitness though as he has not participated anywhere for quite some time. 

Also, this list includes Rakhi Halder in 59kg, almost surely in a qualification spot, who is provisionally suspended. Don’t know if there are others like her in the list as well throwing all our calculations awry. 

I don't know how you do it @MHSN but big props for somehow being able to make sense of this qualifying process and answering everyone's (including mine) billion questions about it :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!