website statistics

Weightlifting Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

7 minutes ago, Tigercub said:

I thought some countries are suspended from competing in the tokyo olympics? I’m confused they’re still on that list

only countries in this list are officially suspended

https://www.iwf.net/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2021/06/Number-of-ADRV_08062021.pdf

this is a long process, I believe the rest (Romania, Vietnam and maybe Colombia) are somehow wasting time by making the process longer (CAS, etc) to not get suspended before the Olympics. they want to serve the suspension after Tokyo. (which I think will hurt their chances for 2024 Olympics qualifiers)

Vietnam and Romania are still likely to be suspended. but they are not until it's official.

1 minute ago, MHSN said:

only countries in this list are officially suspended

https://www.iwf.net/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2021/06/Number-of-ADRV_08062021.pdf

this is a long process, I believe the rest (Romania, Vietnam and maybe Colombia) are somehow wasting time by making the process longer (CAS, etc) to not get suspended before the Olympics. they want to serve the suspension after Tokyo. (which I think will hurt their chances for 2024 Olympics qualifiers)

Vietnam and Romania are still likely to be suspended. but they are not until it's official.

If the IWF or the IOC really want to, they could use temporary Olympic Games division of CAS to force a decision before the Games begin

Another sport we´ll fail to qualify for the very first time ever. The list start to be really annoyingly painfully long, but in svk everybody is calm and do not panic about our sport downfall as long our hockey team will do the job this august :lol:

12 minutes ago, Dragon said:

If the IWF or the IOC really want to, they could use temporary Olympic Games division of CAS to force a decision before the Games begin

well we are talking about IWF, they might want to play along with those countries. (bribe or something)

we will see if IOC does something here

Just now, MHSN said:

well we are talking about IWF, they might want to play along with those countries. (bribe or something)

we will see if IOC does something here

I agree, it will be the IOC or nothing

In women's 59kg, Konstantina Benteli can qualify? She is 12th on the list but if Vietnam and Colombia get disqualified then she moves up to 10th. Japanese girl already in top 8 so don't need host quota. So Benteli would get the European quota? Can someone verify because I'm not too familiar with this process. Thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

In women's 59kg, Konstantina Benteli can qualify? She is 12th on the list but if Vietnam and Colombia get disqualified then she moves up to 10th. Japanese girl already in top 8 so don't need host quota. So Benteli would get the European quota? Can someone verify because I'm not too familiar with this process. Thanks in advance.

She will qualify for sure only if Colombia and Vietnam will both be banned, China will not select this weight

Just now, Andry84 said:

She will qualify for sure only if Colombia and Vietnam will both be banned, China will not select this weight

Yes I just saw that each nation is limited to four men and four women, and China has all their women in first place except for 59kg, so surely they won't be allowed to accept that quota which should help Benteli's chances even more.

It would be really great if she could make it. We haven't had any female weightlifter at the Olympics since 2008. And we are in danger of not qualifying anyone in weightlifting for the first time ever (or at least in many decades) which would be a shame considering we used to be one of the top countries in the sport not too long ago.

Looks like our guy Iakovidis might make it in men's 96 if China and Belarus don't select that weight, and if Venezuela and Colombia get banned. Russia, Albania, and Iran can't select that weight because they are limited in their team size due to penalties. But there are five Chinese men in first place and they can select four, so what are the chances that they don't select this guy? Belarus has three guys in fourth place and can only select one.

People are very upset with Pyrros Dimas because he decided to not send a team to the 2019 World Championships and they feel that it hurt our qualification chances.