website statistics

Weightlifting Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

1 minute ago, Laraja said:

Dude, the selection is made exclusively from each NOC (using that criteria of max 4 per NOC and regarding doping violation) or there is another criteria?

that's the main problem

but some countries are about to face suspension. Romania, Vietnam are almost a sure thing. Colombia maybe. and we still don't know if PRK participates or not.

and some weightlifters may qualify in more than one weight (Brandhuber (GER) and Han (KOR)) we also don't know what they are going to do.

5 minutes ago, MHSN said:

@Federer91 do you have any idea about two Bulgarian weightlifters in Tokyo ? I see 3 or maybe 4 guys eligible to qualify. Grozdev (61), Andreev (67), Hristov (109) and maybe Beytula (73) ?

Bozhidar Andreev (at 73) is 100% certain of going, you can fully count him in.

If you had asked me a few weeks back, i would have said that Grozdev (61) is 90% getting the second spot. But with Hristov's recent good results i think they will wait to see, if he would have a medal chance. Beytula is out of the picture, unless the others are injured or something. 

How do you see the situation at 109? Are there going to be enough withdrawals, so Hristov can squeak into the medal positions?

I still feel Grozdev has the better chance of going.

2 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Bozhidar Andreev (at 73) is 100% certain of going, you can fully count him in.

If you had asked me a few weeks back, i would have said that Grozdev (61) is 90% getting the second spot. But with Hristov's recent good results i think they will wait to see, if he would have a medal chance. Beytula is out of the picture, unless the others are injured or something. 

How do you see the situation at 109? Are there going to be enough withdrawals, so Hristov can squeak into the medal positions?

I still feel Grozdev has the better chance of going.

thanks. that solved one of my million problems to have the final list of qualified weightlifters :d

109 is the most unpredictable in term of withdrawals.

if we rank them by their best totals Hristov is 8th, but Yang is not going to Tokyo. one of the Russians will be out (and maybe even both of them, Russia has 1 quota but I believe they are going to use it here) . Martirosyan was a lock but now after bombing out at the Europeans and the recent accident, not anymore. Aramnau is not in a good shape and from what i heard this is more likely to not select him from Belarus (they have only 1 quota as well)

only Akbar Djuraev is a sure thing and most probably will take one of the medals.

if you remove these guys. Hristov has to compete with Chumak, Plesnieks, Michalski and Naniev for the bronze and maybe even silver (if Martirosyan doesn't get selected) he definitely has a chance for medal , these guys are more or less in the same level.

some minor changes in women's 61kg ranking after this event. only Jensen (DEN) improved her points by something like 150pts but that doesn't help her. other athletes like Michel and Berrio didn't improve their ranking points

some of the athletes still can improve their points at the World Juniors.

there is a very interesting case about Nina Sterckx (BEL) while she only competed at 55kg and 59kg recently. she registered herself at 49kg for the World Juniors. she doesn't need that, she already participated in an event in that weight. but that means she wants to go to Tokyo at all costs ! I don't know about her chance at 55kg (have to check it later) but in 49kg she has a good chance to steal the quota from the Italians !

I wanted to make a list like I did for the men's weights but that's impossible unless I check all 7 weights for all countries. unfortunately I can't do that.

but let's have a short list at least for this weight

:IND Mirabai

:USA Delacruz

:DOM Piron

:INA Aisah

:PNG Toua

* Piron couldn't qualify under the old rules but now all of a sudden she is 100% safe. still the fact she didn't participate anywhere recently is worrisome .maybe she is injured ?!

if Colombia is allowed to participate :COL Berrio is safe. :BRA Rosa is almost safe because Romania most probably will be banned, PRK will withdraw. RUS has some other options, if one of them happens, she will qualify so I say that's almost a sure thing.

I would say :FRA Michel is safe too but Sterckx still can improve her points and then chose to participate in this weight. even if that happens Michel still can qualify another way, so I think her chance is something like 90%.

3 minutes ago, MHSN said:

some minor changes in women's 61kg ranking after this event. only Jensen (DEN) improved her points by something like 150pts but that doesn't help her. other athletes like Michel and Berrio didn't improve their ranking points

some of the athletes still can improve their points at the World Juniors.

there is a very interesting case about Nina Sterckx (BEL) while she only competed at 55kg and 59kg recently. she registered herself at 49kg for the World Juniors. she doesn't need that, she already participated in an event in that weight. but that means she wants to go to Tokyo at all costs ! I don't know about her chance at 55kg (have to check it later) but in 49kg she has a good chance to steal the quota from the Italians !

I wanted to make a list like I did for the men's weights but that's impossible unless I check all 7 weights for all countries. unfortunately I can't do that.

but let's have a short list at least for this weight

:IND Mirabai

:USA Delacruz

:DOM Piron

:INA Aisah

:PNG Toua

* Piron couldn't qualify under the old rules but now all of a sudden she is 100% safe. still the fact she didn't participate anywhere recently is worrisome .maybe she is injured ?!

if Colombia is allowed to participate :COL Berrio is safe. :BRA Rosa is almost safe because Romania most probably will be banned, PRK will withdraw. RUS has some other options, if one of them happens, she will qualify so I say that's almost a sure thing.

I would say :FRA Michel is safe too but Sterckx still can improve her points and then chose to participate in this weight. even if that happens Michel still can qualify another way, so I think her chance is something like 90%.

Natasha Rosa was caught on doping recently. Only to get this less complicated haha

2 minutes ago, Laraja said:

Natasha Rosa was caught on doping recently. Only to get this less complicated haha

oh well. no this is still complicated :d see that's another thing I should consider when I make the list. some of these athletes are banned but their names are still there.

she just participated at the Pan American Champs. that should be something very new

so that makes the quota almost a sure thing for :CUB Montero but if she qualifies in top 8 (which is possible) another Brazilian Luana Madeira will qualify instead.

8 minutes ago, MHSN said:

so that makes the quota almost a sure thing for :CUB Montero but if she qualifies in top 8 (which is possible) another Brazilian Luana Madeira will qualify instead.

This is one of the very few names in weightlifting I recognize from randomly reading news about the sport in Brazil. She seems to be talented, but she's apparently still very young and needs a lot more time to mature. It would be good if she could have some kind of Olympic experience now, so she can better prepare for the future.

also no change for 67kg division in Colombia. only Pineda (GUA) improved his score slightly but that doesn't change his position in the ranking. I think only Jeremy (IND) is still active in the World Juniors.

these guys are 100% safe, TUR and UZB may have other options too but I'm 100% sure they will pick these guys.

:UZB Ergashev (Top 8)

:TUR Uzbek (Top 8)

:ITA Zanni (Top 8)

:FRA Matam (Top 8)

:GEO Chkheidze (Europe)

:MEX Munoz (Pan-America)

:SAM Ioane (Oceania)

:MAD Andriatsitohaina (Africa)

:INA Deni or Triyatno (Top 8 or Asia) @Griff88 which one has more chance ? (Triyatno may qualify at 73 though)

I also think CHN and JPN will select these guys

:CHN Chen

:JPN Konnai

the last 2 spots are between

:COL:PRK:KOR:IND:GER

this weight is less complicated. if COL and PRK participate they will take the remaining quotas.

if only COL participates the last quota most probably goes to KOR.

if both don't participate, KOR and GER will qualify

IND can qualify only if KOR doesn't want to use this quota. since they have more than 4 eligible weightlifters and this guy also can qualify at 61kg if he wants.

5 hours ago, MHSN said:

also no change for 67kg division in Colombia. only Pineda (GUA) improved his score slightly but that doesn't change his position in the ranking. I think only Jeremy (IND) is still active in the World Juniors.

these guys are 100% safe, TUR and UZB may have other options too but I'm 100% sure they will pick these guys.

:UZB Ergashev (Top 8)

:TUR Uzbek (Top 8)

:ITA Zanni (Top 8)

:FRA Matam (Top 8)

:GEO Chkheidze (Europe)

:MEX Munoz (Pan-America)

:SAM Ioane (Oceania)

:MAD Andriatsitohaina (Africa)

:INA Deni or Triyatno (Top 8 or Asia) @Griff88 which one has more chance ? (Triyatno may qualify at 73 though)

It will be Triyatno in 67, Deni is removed from the Olympic preparation team because he refused to follow the rules of the national team (apparently he wanted to bring his family to live in the national training center :noshake: )