website statistics

Weightlifting Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

this is a summary of my predictions, just to see which countries are over the limit. at moment nobody has more than 4. but Japan can easily make it 7 by sending 81, 109 and +109 guys to Colombia. then they have to pick 4 out 7. I think none of them are serious medal contenders but they collected good ranking points. the only country "possible" to qualify in all 7 weights.

South Korea also has someone eligible at +109kg and their 67kg guy also can make it to the list by having a mediocre result in Colombia. they have to pick 4 too.

China also has to pick 4 out of 6. but I assume we already know who are those 4.

Colombia has 4 but they are very close to get banned completely

:RUS:KAZ:ARM:BLR has just 1 quota while they have more than 1 athlete inside the qualification zone

:BUL:UZB:TUR has to pick 2. :IRI:ALB are limited to 2. right now they have just 1 in my table but it can be 3 (still have to pick 2)

:CHN:COL:JPN:GEO:BUL:GER:TUR:KAZ == :TPE:DOM:PNG:ITA

:CHN:UZB:COL:TUR:ITA:JPN:FRA:GEO == :MEX:KOR:ESP:MAD

:CHN:USA:BUL:VEN:ALB:JPN:TUN:ESP == :MDA:INA:MEX:AUS

:CHN:COL:DOM:ITA:TKM:USA:LAT:GER == :ESP:CHI:TUN:NZL 

:QAT:COL:GEO:CAN:KOR:JPN:VEN:CUB == :KGZ:GRE:BRA:SAM

:ARM:UZB:UKR:RUS:POL:BLR:LAT:BUL == :KOR:ESP:USA

:GEO:IRI:BRA:SYR:TKM:ALG:CZE:HUN == :USA:NZL

I believe only few athletes are 100% safe. (mostly top 4-5 in the ranking in each weight) the rest has to wait for their own coach's decision and also what other countries will do.

On 21/04/2021 at 21:49, MHSN said:

my calculations about women's 49kg

to make things easier for myself I only counted points for athletes who may qualify for the Olympics. I may miss someone so let me know if see someone important missing

1. :CHN Hou - 4926

- :PRK Ri - 4209 (no)

2. :IND Mirabai - 4133

3. :USA Delacruz - 3640

4. :INA Aisah - 3230

?. :COL Segura - 3121 (no) (COL with 3 doping cases)

?. :RUS Sobol - 3031 (NOC is limited to 1)

- :ROU Andries - 2955 (ROU with 3 doping cases)

- :VIE Vuong - 2908 (VIE with 3 doping cases)

5. :BRA Rosa - 2798

6. :FRA Michel - 2774

7. :TUR Erdogan - 2765 (NOC is limited to 2)

8. :CUB Montero - 2713

9. :PNG Toua - 2603 (Oceania)

10. :TPE Fang - 2596

- :DOM Piron - 2562 (no)

11. :CAN Braddouck - 2450

12. :MRI Ranaivosoa - 2332 (Africa)

13. :PER Cueva - 2321

- :ITA Russo - 2254 (no)

14. :TKM Jumabayeva - 2244

15. :ITA Imperio - 2227

16. :JPN Miyake - 2210

important notes:

* China has to pick 4 from 6 weights, they are "almost" guaranteed gold in any of the events they want, so it's just up to them

* Segura of Colombia surprisingly didn't participate in the Pan-Ams, she still can make it by just participating in the last event in her own country

* I didn't check other weights but I just can't believe Russia uses it's only quota in the lowest weight

* Vietnam and Romania are close to get banned from the Olympics. I think Romania has no chance but still a slim chance for Vietnam to survive.

* Toua from PNG can easily make it to top 8 by a good result in her last event and let Oceania qualify another one. but there is nobody else from Oceania in the ranking !!!! I'm a bit lazy to check to see what happens in they have to re-allocate the continental quotas.

* Piron of DOM can easily make it to top 8 by a mediocre result but she didn't even participate in the Pan-Ams, she still can do that in Colombia.

:CHN:IND:USA:INA:BRA:FRA:TUR:CUB == :PNG:TPE:CAN:MRI:ITA

Can you explain me this? It's very important, tonight my friend make an interview with Imperio..
- Why Russo Not?
- Where is belgian Sterkx? 

4 minutes ago, Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo said:

Can you explain me this? It's very important, tonight my friend make an interview with Imperio..
- Why Russo Not?
- Where is belgian Sterkx? 

Russo didn't participate at the European Championships. that was mandatory to participate in one event in this new extended period, she still can do that in the last event in Colombia but I assume whoever doesn't participate in the Euro won't go to Colombia too.

Sterkx has participated only in one event at 49kg. she collected her points at 55kg and 59kg. to be eligible for the quota she needs one more event at 49kg. but I highly doubt she even registered for Colombia. she is now a regular 55kg weightlifter.

the registration deadline for Colombia event was long time ago. it's not like Strekx can change her mind and go there .

16 hours ago, MHSN said:

the last qualification event will be the World Junior Championships but I assume nobody from that tournament can go to the Olympics

It's hard but not impossible. Jeremy is 18 still ,he was 16 when qualification started for Tokyo but he needs to do a huge PB.